2004 - 2008 F-150

Pcs to alaska

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009 | 07:01 PM
|
Pcs to alaska

Alright guys, im pcs'in to alaska.(military move) what do i need done to make my truck winter ready.. texas/georgia boy here so when people tell me i need a electric cord hanging out of the front of my lower grill im like what the ****!!

Old 01-12-2009 | 07:13 PM
Technical Article Contributor

might want to get your coolant changed out to a higher anti-freeze mix to prevent freezing

hopefully a few of the Alaska guys will pop on with suggestions.

I personally would look into a decent aftermarket block heater

Old 01-12-2009 | 07:16 PM
you will have to take it to a mechanic and have it "winterized" they put a block heater oilpan heater, and tranny heater i think. maybe more. that will keep the truck from having all the fluids freeze up in the block. o on real cold days -40+ drive reallllly slow for the first mile or so to get your diff. fluids warmed up. i may have been late one day and took out a front diff in 60below weather

Old 01-12-2009 | 07:25 PM
|
wow!!! good info.. so pretty much ima just have to wait til i get up there?? to have someone know what there doing do it.. sense i live down here with southern boys.. lol how much does that all run $$$$$

Old 01-12-2009 | 07:56 PM
winter wipers.... it's a small item, but they help a lot... they cover the insides of the wiper so they dont freeze....
get some good AT tires, like general grabber at2's, BFG AT, or the like...
tow hooks if you dont have them
good tow strap
cell phone that will work there
remote starter - always good to have when it's below zero...
tire chains?

Old 01-13-2009 | 11:14 AM
What part of Alaska? Fairbanks is way extreme weather while Anchorage area is a little milder. For sure engine heater, most use coolant heaters, synthetic oil and diff fluid, good wipers, and don't turn on hot defrost on a -40 windshield! Lived in the Soldotna area years ago and will be moving back in 2 years. Its a great state if you are a fisherman or hunter. Its also dangerous as hell, not many roads and when you wonder off of them 150 yards you ARE in the wilderness. Careful of the brown bears!

Old 01-13-2009 | 12:55 PM
Suspended
get a block heater installed. i believe the coolant is all the same regardless where it's sold. if you got leather, heated seats are kick *** in the cold. have a survival kit in your truck, sounds silly but it could mean life or death. i bought a rubbermaid actionpacker from walmart for like 16 bucks, its black with a red lid found in the auto department. it fits on the floor in the back. in it, jumper cables, tow strap, clevis loops, some chocolate bars, hand warmers, wool socks, couple pairs of mittens, flashlight. and most importantly ALWAYS have a pair of boots, i leave mine in the front floor by the heater. cold weather can kill your feet damn quick. and i don't mean 25 dollar boots, i paid like 125 bucks or so for a pair of lacrosse iceman's rated at -40, worth their weight in gold. also get the biggest battery you can fit in your truck, i'm sure you know the cold weather kills the battery's cold cranking amps. also heat, gas deicer, i put a bottle in every 3 weeks, everytime you fill up. also never let your truck run low on fuel, minimum 1/2 tank, i never let mine get below 3/4. as for never turn on your defrost on a cold windshield, i've never had any problems doing that, but maybe some have. and let your truck run long enough to get it off high idle, depending on the way, the other night mine ran for 12 minutes or more just to get off high idle, but it was -21 degrees out. never been in a hurry driving, it's common knowledge, but its the number 1 reason for accidents in the winter, too fast for conditions/unaware of changing road conditions. i sound like an old man, i worked the graveyard long enough and i wanna be prepared for whatever may arise at anytime.

Last edited by ATOM; 01-13-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-13-2009 | 04:47 PM
|
yeah im going to fairbanks, ak FORT WAINWRIGHT .. the tools and all that i got in the back of my truck in the tool box.... i guess for all the heaters and stuff ima have to wait til i get there??

Old 01-13-2009 | 05:22 PM
Suspended
why would you wait? you keep mittens in the back of your truck and boots? not a good idea IMO

Quick Reply: Pcs to alaska