2004 - 2008 F-150

A 93,000 mile plug change success!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009 | 11:11 PM
|
Talking A 93,000 mile plug change success!

I almost don't belive it myself. I keep thinking I'm going to wake up and realize it was all a dream. But I have the old 2-piece MC plugs stitting right next to me. ALL STILL IN ONE PIECE!!

After hearing all of the horror stories, I was dreading changing my sparkplugs. I put it off for about a year and a half until I told myself, "quit being a p*ssy! you might have to pull a cylinder head, so what?" It was my way of working up the courage to do it.

I prepared by buying the champion 1 piece plugs, and the Lisle removal tool (I really didnt want to pull a cylinder head) I ran a double dose of seafoam in the gas tank, and added .5 degrees of total timing with my edge tunner.

The big day (today) finally came. I ran the truck hard for a few miles. Then I parked it in my buddy's garage and got to work removing the battery and PCM while the engine cooled. I removed the Coil packs and anything else that was in my way of getting a straight shot at the sp holes with my socket. I blew the holes out with compressed air, and loosed the plugs about 1/4-1/2 turn. I then filled the holes with a few shots of B12 Chemtool carb and choke cleaner.
Apperently the head were still a little warm because the cleaner started to bubble out of the holes. I figured as long as it didn't flash, it wasn't a bad thing for it to bubble. I waited about 10 mins and I decided to work the plugs back and forth slightly to help the carb cleaner weep down to the grounding sheilds. I worked one plug back and forth and it really didnt make a difference. So I decided to tap the plug/plug hole with my extention and socket, thinking the vibrations would help. WOOT WOOT after about 10 taps I tryed turning out the plug and it turned very easy! Whenever it became difficult to turn I gave it 10 more taps, and I was easy to turn again! I had to turn a few of the plugs back in a 1/2 a turn or so but tapping inside the plug hole made a huge difference!

Pics of old plugs are in my album. Sry for the quality.... camera phones have a ways to go... hehe

One more sparkplug change success story.....with over 20K miles lol

Last edited by Hydrocarbon302; 02-07-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-07-2009 | 11:19 PM
champion plugs...

you still may get the chance to pull your heads

Old 02-07-2009 | 11:49 PM
|
why is that? they seem to run fine??

and c'mon man dont rain on my parade.

Old 02-08-2009 | 12:55 AM
i didnt mean to rain on your parade, but i dont care much for champion plugs...

https://www.f150online.com/forums/en...ent-plugs.html
and some champions out of a ninja:

and thats just information ive run across NOT looking for information on champion plugs.

Old 02-08-2009 | 10:53 AM
I like hearing stories like this!

Old 02-08-2009 | 11:02 AM
Awesome you got your plugs out, I know it is a great feeling (I broke 3). However, you may want to do some research on Champion plug, I think they should be left in lawnmowers. NGK is coming out with plugs for the 5.4 soon, and Autolite has a plug for our engine but still the 3 part plug.

As long as you have the antiseize on the plugs you should be fine, even with factory 3 part plugs. Check them every couple years, clean and recoat.

Old 02-08-2009 | 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
I like hearing stories like this!
Me too..... Im dreading the day to remove mine? Im at 34K and want to remove them by 35k but cant work up the nerve to

Old 02-08-2009 | 12:03 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Im waiting for 100k to come around then i'll have mine replaced. Not looking forward to it.

Old 02-08-2009 | 12:43 PM
Truck of the Month
Good job on the change! Wish you the best with the Champions!

Old 02-08-2009 | 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by cop on my back
Awesome you got your plugs out, I know it is a great feeling (I broke 3). However, you may want to do some research on Champion plug, I think they should be left in lawnmowers. NGK is coming out with plugs for the 5.4 soon, and Autolite has a plug for our engine but still the 3 part plug.

As long as you have the antiseize on the plugs you should be fine, even with factory 3 part plugs. Check them every couple years, clean and recoat.
I emailed NGK about 3 weeks ago and they told me they had no plans of coming out with a plug for our trucks. Hmmm It would be nice though.

Old 02-10-2009 | 08:44 PM
what a good luck

Quick Reply: A 93,000 mile plug change success!