2004 - 2008 F-150

Considering My First 4x4 Truck. What are additional cost/problems of 4x4's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009 | 03:04 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by NoLongerJeepin
You could find a problem with damn near anything.

Don't listen to manual he's just being a debbie downer.
x2 on that, this is from a guy who put stacks on a V6 and them took them off in the same week
i have had 1 4x2 truck and that will be the last. i have never had any issues with any of the 4x4's i owned, except a ranger that needed new u-joints. the advantages are quite worth the added cost, also a huge plus on resale value, you practically have to give away 2 wheel drive trucks up here. get yourself a good manual and you're set.

Old 02-08-2009 | 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by ATOM
x2 on that, this is from a guy who put stacks on a V6 and them took them off in the same week
i have had 1 4x2 truck and that will be the last. i have never had any issues with any of the 4x4's i owned, except a ranger that needed new u-joints. the advantages are quite worth the added cost, also a huge plus on resale value, you practically have to give away 2 wheel drive trucks up here. get yourself a good manual and you're set.
I didn't think it was legal to sell 2wd trucks in Wisconsin

Another side note for the OP, I checked with my insurance guy, and in no way in 4x4 going to raise your insurance. Just another reason to ignore manualf150.

Old 02-08-2009 | 06:14 PM
Another side note for the OP, I checked with my insurance guy, and in no way in 4x4 going to raise your insurance. Just another reason to ignore manualf150.
That depends on where you are located, here 4x4 does increase your rates.

Old 02-08-2009 | 06:42 PM
Suspended
I didn't think it was legal to sell 2wd trucks in Wisconsin

it should be illegal to own a 4x2 in WI having a 4x4 does affect insurance value (my aunt is an agent for general casulty, sp?) it's more but not much because the vehicle is worth more. but not all insurances are the same

my truck gets locked in 4x4 at least 100 times a year and i have no issues. the old saying "pay to play" i think they invented that one for the 4x4 truck, lol. easy on the gas pedal and easy on the pocketbook, go hand in hand

x2 on the just ignore all posts made by manualf150

Last edited by ATOM; 02-08-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-08-2009 | 08:05 PM
it should be illegal to own a 4x2 in WI having a 4x4 does affect insurance value (my aunt is an agent for general casulty, sp?) it's more but not much because the vehicle is worth more. but not all insurances are the same

my truck gets locked in 4x4 at least 100 times a year and i have no issues. the old saying "pay to play" i think they invented that one for the 4x4 truck, lol. easy on the gas pedal and easy on the pocketbook, go hand in hand

x2 on the just ignore all posts made by manualf150
When I lived in minnesota I only knew one guy who owned a 2wd truck, and he hated every minute of it. When I was shopping around I noticed that every truck besides a few base models were 4x4. Good thing too, I can remember last winter, there was probably 3 weeks where my truck didn't leave 4wd

Old 02-08-2009 | 08:16 PM
TNC
No problems on my '04. If you're reasonably mechanical and take care of your stuff, no problem. Plus, when chains are required, 4X4 is priceless.

Old 02-08-2009 | 11:16 PM
Technical Article Contributor
I can admit, 4x4 is not all that it is cracked up to be, especially after what happened today.

I had my buddy over with his Nissan Frontier NISMO, and he decided he was going to be Mr. Cool and enter my unplowed driveway for the other side of my barn... well, 4" of snow and he got stuck, with brand new Yokohamas. He's also got the diff lock as well (in which F150s don't have, where it locks the front diff to make it a true 4x4, as in ALL wheels are turning). I had to pull him out with my... yes... 2wd F150. I backed into the driveway a little bit, got my tow strap and chain on, and pulled him out into the street, and he left the truck in gear, which we didn't find out until we heard the chirping of tires on the road.

So, 4x4 won't get you anyplace, but in a deep pile of doodoo.

He was surprised and ticked off...

I was just ticked that he was being stupid for doing that nonsense.

Old 02-08-2009 | 11:32 PM
Suspended
drive a real truck and you won't get stuck in 4 inches of snow. that would be the moral of his story....lol and another reason why you should put "real" tires on a 4x4. i drive around in a foot of snow with no problems, so don't debbie downer scare you away from a 4x4. buy it, you will use it more than you think. the thing of it is, if you know you have a 2 wheel drive you know your better off staying safe than getting stuck. which brings up another point, don't be doing stupid stuff when your alone, only try that when someones in another 4x4. and for the record, everyone will agree with me on this, no 4x4 f150 is gonna get stuck in 4 inches of snow, i find it hard to believe any 4x4 would, unless ice is involved and then that's a whole different ball game
nonsense huh, driving in 4 inches of snow, this guy sounds like a real badass

Last edited by ATOM; 02-08-2009 at 11:39 PM.
Old 02-09-2009 | 10:18 AM
drive a real truck and you won't get stuck in 4 inches of snow. that would be the moral of his story....lol and another reason why you should put "real" tires on a 4x4. i drive around in a foot of snow with no problems, so don't debbie downer scare you away from a 4x4. buy it, you will use it more than you think. the thing of it is, if you know you have a 2 wheel drive you know your better off staying safe than getting stuck. which brings up another point, don't be doing stupid stuff when your alone, only try that when someones in another 4x4. and for the record, everyone will agree with me on this, no 4x4 f150 is gonna get stuck in 4 inches of snow, i find it hard to believe any 4x4 would, unless ice is involved and then that's a whole different ball game
nonsense huh, driving in 4 inches of snow, this guy sounds like a real badass
Well I was surprised. Our old F250 4x4 went through 2 1/2 feet of snow like butter with bald tires.

Old 02-09-2009 | 11:55 AM

I've owned 4 wheel drive vehicles pretty much my whole driving life, 26-27 years. I've never had 4 wheel drive fail in any of them. All have been Fords. A few late 1970 models in high school. Then a 89 full size Bronco with auto hubs that went over 200,000 miles before selling. Then a 96 full size Bronco with auto hubs that I switched to manual Warns. Sold that one with over 100,000. No problems. Treat them right and they'll treat you right.

Old 02-09-2009 | 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by mxracer49
I've owned 4 wheel drive vehicles pretty much my whole driving life, 26-27 years. I've never had 4 wheel drive fail in any of them. All have been Fords. A few late 1970 models in high school. Then a 89 full size Bronco with auto hubs that went over 200,000 miles before selling. Then a 96 full size Bronco with auto hubs that I switched to manual Warns. Sold that one with over 100,000. No problems. Treat them right and they'll treat you right.
Well, you know how to operate them. There are lots of people that will use 4x4 on dry or merely wet pavement, causing the drivetrain to bind up and damage itself.

Old 02-09-2009 | 08:49 PM
I have had 4wd's vehicles and 1 2wd truck over 13 years that I have been driving. My first truck was a 2wd Ranger. I have had a 83 CJ-7, a 85 CJ-7, and my 94 and 04 F150's (currently still have both F150's). The only problem that I have ever had with any 4wd vehicle, besides U-joints which will wear out just like they do in a drive shaft, is I took out the tranny and T-case on my 94 F150. The output on the tranny and input on the T-case ended up busting all the splines, I don't know how or why but it happened. I was told by the mechanic that did the work and also the tranny shop the did the rebuild that taking out the shafts it very, very uncommon.

The pros of having 4wd out weight the cons, by ALOT!!

I personally will NEVER own a 2wd truck again...

Old 02-09-2009 | 09:00 PM
here's another problem:
girls gonna jump into it every mile so u may need some extra cash for beers and fun..

Old 02-09-2009 | 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
I can admit, 4x4 is not all that it is cracked up to be, especially after what happened today.

I had my buddy over with his Nissan Frontier NISMO, and he decided he was going to be Mr. Cool and enter my unplowed driveway for the other side of my barn... well, 4" of snow and he got stuck, with brand new Yokohamas. He's also got the diff lock as well (in which F150s don't have, where it locks the front diff to make it a true 4x4, as in ALL wheels are turning). I had to pull him out with my... yes... 2wd F150. I backed into the driveway a little bit, got my tow strap and chain on, and pulled him out into the street, and he left the truck in gear, which we didn't find out until we heard the chirping of tires on the road.

So, 4x4 won't get you anyplace, but in a deep pile of doodoo.

He was surprised and ticked off...

I was just ticked that he was being stupid for doing that nonsense.
I'm calling BS on this story. Was the Nissan 4x4? Ice? How steep?

I've taken my grandpa's cadillac deville through 4 inches of snow no problems.

Old 02-09-2009 | 09:44 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by PHS79

I personally will NEVER own a 2wd truck again...
i agree. i will make 1 exception, lightning

Quick Reply: Considering My First 4x4 Truck. What are additional cost/problems of 4x4's?