2004 - 2008 F-150

Detroit Locker and ECTED..Good and Bad PLZ

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009 | 06:42 AM
|
Detroit Locker and ECTED..Good and Bad PLZ

Well finally got gears and install kits for both. Friday i am ordering a Detroit locker for the rear and an Auburn ECTED for the front.

Anything good and anything bad about these would be appreciated.

U probably wont change my mind but i will keep an open mind and listen to yall.

I'm excited bout it gettin it done be a totally different truck i suspect.

Thanks
Joel

Old 02-10-2009 | 07:05 AM
I can't say anything for the Ected, but I have a Detroit Locker in the rear of my 94 F150 and it is GREAT!! It has never failed on me and I would not want anything else out back. The only possible con would be that when making sharp turns on pavement the inside tire is trying to turn at the same speed as the outside tire so it makes a bit of noise and also increases wear on the tires.

I went with a Auburn posi up front because I wanted something that would be reliable, give be a "locked" affect when I need it, but yet would not make the truck a PITA to drive on the street on snow covered roads.

Good luck, and report back with what you think about both products.

Old 02-10-2009 | 01:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Sounds like a pretty good combination. I've run aussie lockers before (they handle very similar to a detroit) and they were great. But it will wear your rear tires down quicker, for sure. Just rotate them a lot and you will be fine.
I've thought about Ected's front and rear, but I hear that the clutch packs wear out quickly in them (no problem in the front application with hubs).

Old 02-10-2009 | 08:52 PM
|
Phs79?

Phs79,

So if your tires are yelping when u turn and u have increased tire wear wouldnt that mean that the locker isnt unlocking when u turn like it is supposed to be doing? Of course i just read it again and u did say sharp turns.

Do u think something like the Detroit Truetrac would be better?

Thanks

Last edited by FireboltJoel03; 02-10-2009 at 08:54 PM. Reason: arghh
Old 02-10-2009 | 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by FireboltJoel03
Phs79,

So if your tires are yelping when u turn and u have increased tire wear wouldnt that mean that the locker isnt unlocking when u turn like it is supposed to be doing? Of course i just read it again and u did say sharp turns.

Do u think something like the Detroit Truetrac would be better?

Thanks
My tires only make noise when doing sharp turns or when on the gas a fair amount while turning a corner. When just making a regular turn, like going around a corner, and driving normal there is no noise.

I honestly don't know a whole lot about the Truetrac, so I couldn't give you my opinion on it over the original Detroit Locker. I can tell you that in the 7-8 years that I have had my Detroit it has not failed me once, I have taken out the tranny and T-case in my 94 but the Detroit is still going strong.

Old 02-10-2009 | 10:37 PM
|
The Detroit locker sounds like the way to go to me.

Thanks for the info.

Old 02-10-2009 | 11:29 PM
Went down this road myself. I chose an open front and a Detroit in the rear. I do a lot of snow driving. If you hit ice with a limited slip in the front, chances are you might end up in a ditch. I went into a ditch twice last year in a smaller truck with an open diff from ice.

If you had too I'd go with an arb.

Old 02-14-2009 | 10:44 PM
I have an Eaton E-locker in the front and it really helps out. I drive in sand mostly when off road.

Old 02-14-2009 | 11:04 PM
Originally Posted by sbchris
Went down this road myself. I chose an open front and a Detroit in the rear. I do a lot of snow driving. If you hit ice with a limited slip in the front, chances are you might end up in a ditch. I went into a ditch twice last year in a smaller truck with an open diff from ice.

If you had too I'd go with an arb.
Your right, driving on ice can be "interesting" to say the least, but I wasn't worried about that when I went with a posi up front. We hardly ever, maybe once every 5-6 years we will get 1/8" of ice or less. But like 3 weeks ago when I was plowing through more then 2 feet of snow, I had snow over the front license plate, I wouldn't trade my fully "locked" truck for anything. I do have to say that it was fun to go out and beat on the old 94 for a while

Quick Reply: Detroit Locker and ECTED..Good and Bad PLZ