2004 - 2008 F-150

Bilstein Q: AS write up, Up or Down?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009 | 02:42 AM
|
I did more and more searching because this is such a 50/50 topic.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...questions.html

Post 10 the guy verified with them...

Thanks

Old 02-18-2009 | 06:37 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by dirk upson
i think i would listen to the manufacturer for installing them the correct way. fox shocks are to be mounted body up, bilstein suggests body up. i would mount them the way they are suppose to be.
If the body is up, dirt and mud can get trapped in the boot/cup which will kill a shock faster than anything else. The hydraulic shaft is meant to be as clean a possible.

Picture this. You go through a mud bog and the boot gets filled with muddy water. It leaves behind a glob of mud that sticks to the body right at the opening of the shaft and throughout the boot. As it dries, it cracks, leaving dirt inside the boot.

Now, imagine the boot on top and the water drains along with most of the mud. As dirt cracks, it drops out of the boot and finds it way off the truck. A simple power washer can remove most of the remaining dirt and mud. And since the body is tapered, it will allow proper drainage of any sludge from the boot. Gravity is also on your side.

Would you think this to be a better idea all around?

Old 02-18-2009 | 06:55 AM
Originally Posted by RoushF150
If the body is up, dirt and mud can get trapped in the boot/cup which will kill a shock faster than anything else. The hydraulic shaft is meant to be as clean a possible.

Picture this. You go through a mud bog and the boot gets filled with muddy water. It leaves behind a glob of mud that sticks to the body right at the opening of the shaft and throughout the boot. As it dries, it cracks, leaving dirt inside the boot.

Now, imagine the boot on top and the water drains along with most of the mud. As dirt cracks, it drops out of the boot and finds it way off the truck. A simple power washer can remove most of the remaining dirt and mud. And since the body is tapered, it will allow proper drainage of any sludge from the boot. Gravity is also on your side.

Would you think this to be a better idea all around?
That doesn't make sense to me. If dirt/water/mud gets trapped inside the boot with the boot up, that crap has absolutely nowhere to go because the boot will trap it in. With the boot down, that same crap has a chance to drain out through the drainage holes. The drainage holes are at the top of the boot, if you have the boot up.

Old 02-18-2009 | 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by mkinttrim
Thats weird I called them twice myself when I did mine, both people said that you should be able to read the stickers without standing on your head, mine are boot up.
This is what Bilstein told me.

Quick Reply: Bilstein Q: AS write up, Up or Down?