2004 - 2008 F-150

everything is rusted??????????

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009 | 01:18 AM
BTW if you live in CO what makes you so qualified in Wisconsin winter weather ? Beacause one day it can be 65 her the next day we can get a snow storm to beat all. Do you guy have that kind of change in temp and humidity ? I'm not trying to be an *** im just curious?

Old 03-23-2009 | 01:26 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by wifordx4
BTW if you live in CO what makes you so qualified in Wisconsin winter weather ? Beacause one day it can be 65 her the next day we can get a snow storm to beat all. Do you guy have that kind of change in temp and humidity ? I'm not trying to be an *** im just curious?
I lived in central Pennsylvania for years. And I have relatives who've live generations in central Pennsyvalina for over 100 years.

I lived there with and without a garage. And I can say without a doubt a garage is the only way to go.

Old 03-23-2009 | 01:28 AM

guess what ? your wrong i have owned a 200 ranger, traded in , for an 05 vrey minimal rust . Traded up to the 07 F150 2nd winter 35000 miles rust very minimal surface at best. Also if you would like to get trechnical im a tool and die maker with a degree in metalurgy and the effects of temp are so minimal its not even funny . Corrisive substances are a much bigger factor! And if we arer so dry why does my dehumidifer run year round ?

Rust is relative on vehicles. If a truck or car is better treated for rust it won't rust as much as others. In the extreme cold relative humidity is extremely low. Your humidifier runs year round because your basement is at a much higher temperature than the outside even in the dead of winter. That's not an indicator of outside humidity.

Old 03-23-2009 | 01:37 AM
WRONG chief my house has mo basement! If you have actual credent6ials in mealurgyt ill listen ,or if you can quote a legit site until then you are giving us alll wi
ves tales.

Old 03-23-2009 | 01:38 AM
wives tales sorry.

Old 03-23-2009 | 01:41 AM

WRONG chief my house has mo basement! If you have actual credent6ials in mealurgyt ill listen ,or if you can quote a legit site until then you are giving us alll wi
ves tales.
Was this English?

Perhaps you should read corrosion statistics from the U.S. Navy before stating this. Humidity in a home is not the same as outside humidity. The fact is the colder it gets, the lower the relative outside humidity. Once the outside temperature gets above 35°F, the outside humidity increases. Leaving your vehicle outside in the elements is the worst thing you can do to it aside from leaving it next to the ocean.

Old 03-23-2009 | 01:50 AM
Ok because you think the navy did a study of the midwest? Or road salt ? Check your facts bud. My humidifyeris in my garge so my tools dont rust when you get a diploma that saysn metalurgy we will talk untill then stick to navy figures that only cover the coasts.

Old 03-23-2009 | 02:05 AM
Don't get me wrong roush i have looked into your posts and you know a ton more about these trucks than i do and I respect your opinion.But metal is my life you know more about our trucks but when comes to metal i will argue with you all day long metal is mmy life and my livelyhood

Old 03-23-2009 | 02:16 AM

Wiford,

I'm sure you know your metals. But remember, oxidation is caused by 3 major items:
  1. Humidity
  2. Oxygen
  3. Salt

The colder the temperature, the lower the humidity. However, since it is colder, the oxygen is more dense. And since there is nothing to remove the salt at lower temps, your metal will rust much faster in a moderate humidity, rich oxygen, high salt environment. This means 35° with moderate humidity and high salt. Add heat from the sun and your vehicle will rot much faster outdoors. A garage may be higher in temperature, but lower in humidity (than pure outside moisture) without the heat of the sun or the constant moisture coming up from the ground.

Old 03-23-2009 | 02:23 AM
I live in BC canada and I bought my 04 from Alberta. Both have heavy winters and use tons of salt on the highways. Hardly any rust. I've herd of this happening to a few superdutys before tho...All the rust....

Old 03-23-2009 | 06:04 PM
I was looking under my truck a couple of days ago. Everything looked fine....except the drive shaft, it looked nasty with rust, not sure if it is just mine or if others are like that too.

.....just noticed Alomar noticed ths same thing about his drive shaft.

Last edited by rocky57; 03-23-2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-23-2009 | 10:37 PM
Rust is exactly why I leased for so many years. Metals have gotten better as far as rust protection the past 6-7 years, but they don't call this the Rust Belt for nothing. I've leased cars from the dealer brand new with rust on the undercarriage. Brake calipers, driveshafts, exhausts and welds are usually the first to show. Manifolds and bumpers are usually next, then the nooks and crannies that hold on to the salt and dirts like emblems on tailgates, trunks, etc.
Once it gets going on the inner fenders there is practically no stopping it. The coil spring towers on my old Ranger rusted completely through in 8 years, not only unattractive but dangerous.

Old 03-23-2009 | 11:07 PM
Check on the backside of the bumpers, my truck that came from MI has some rust there also.

Old 03-24-2009 | 10:34 PM

Farmers have known for years that equipment left outside won't last as long, and won't work as well when you need it. If you want to test this, just leave your good pliers outside on the drive way for a few nights. With that fresh coat of dew every morning it will start rusting in a day or two.

This is not a big a problem in places like Arizona where the humidity is extremely low and it seldom rains. The airlines store their extra planes there because they keep well. You can't get a frosty mug in Tucson because there is not enough humidity to frost the mug.

Quick Reply: everything is rusted??????????