2004 - 2008 F-150

Truck Bed Welding Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009 | 07:52 AM
|
Truck Bed Welding Question

Does anyone else have gaps in the welding between the front bed wall and the bed floor? It appears that the weld in my 2008 Supercrew bed was only placed on the bottom of each channel and not across the entire bed floor. On top of each channel, you can see all the way to the ground (and I even have the spray in liner). At first I thought they did this for drainage but that would not make much sense as the hole would need to be at the bottom of the channel. It's kind of annoying because water can spray up through the bottom. Any info is appreciated.

Old 03-23-2009 | 08:51 AM
I had this gap on both my 04 style side and also on my now 06 flareside.

Old 03-23-2009 | 09:33 AM
|
Thanks for the info. I was going to bring it back to the dealer to ask but did not want to look like a tool. They might weld it this way to allow the bed to play a little bit more so it doesn't get stress cracks but it doesn't help keep that water out. I thought they would fill it in with the spray in liner but apparently not.

Old 03-23-2009 | 11:06 AM
Yeah, I noticed that crack too after I got Line-X done. Leaves and crap are getting stuck in it now.

Old 03-23-2009 | 11:51 AM
They are there on purpose... they are drains. Otherwise if you park on a hill (nose of the truck down) the bed will fill up with water.

When I did my liner I masked off the holes to keep them open so they still drain!

I don't understand your comments about location... got a picture? On my bed the raised rails don't go all the way to the corner. See pic below:

Old 03-23-2009 | 12:48 PM
|
Originally Posted by mkosu04
They are there on purpose... they are drains. Otherwise if you park on a hill (nose of the truck down) the bed will fill up with water.

When I did my liner I masked off the holes to keep them open so they still drain!

I don't understand your comments about location... got a picture? On my bed the raised rails don't go all the way to the corner. See pic below:
I'll have to take some pictures tonight. I think my bed is slightly different because I think the channels run all the way to the front wall of the bed as opposed to yours that look like they stop an inch or two before the wall. I just got the truck and put a G2 Bakflip cover on it. I went through the car wash yesterday and no water got in through the top but the undercarriage wash sprayed water in from below. It makes sense that it is there for drainage as you said. I'm just surprised that the weld is at the bottom of eash channel as opposed to the high point. Basically the water will not drain until it gets to the top of the channel.

Old 03-23-2009 | 06:11 PM
i actually made mine bigger so that the bed wouldnt get clogged up with little sand particles from my sandbags, they are definetely for drainage

Old 03-23-2009 | 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by Giants56
I'll have to take some pictures tonight. I think my bed is slightly different because I think the channels run all the way to the front wall of the bed as opposed to yours that look like they stop an inch or two before the wall. I just got the truck and put a G2 Bakflip cover on it. I went through the car wash yesterday and no water got in through the top but the undercarriage wash sprayed water in from below. It makes sense that it is there for drainage as you said. I'm just surprised that the weld is at the bottom of eash channel as opposed to the high point. Basically the water will not drain until it gets to the top of the channel.
ahhh... so you have a cover....

Maybe you could use some Seal-N-Peal caulk on it... this stuff is designed to seal up doors you don't use in the winter. My Dad used it on several doors with good results (it peals off clean). You could use it to seal up your bed, but if you someday remove your cover it could be pealed out cleanly.

Not sure how it will hold up to the driving and whatnot... might need to replace it every couple years.

Here is the product
http://www.amazon.com/18324-Seal-Rem...7847733&sr=1-1

Its odd that your bed would be different.... how long is the bed? Mine is a 6.5 footer.

Old 03-24-2009 | 12:35 PM
|
Originally Posted by mkosu04
ahhh... so you have a cover....

Maybe you could use some Seal-N-Peal caulk on it... this stuff is designed to seal up doors you don't use in the winter. My Dad used it on several doors with good results (it peals off clean). You could use it to seal up your bed, but if you someday remove your cover it could be pealed out cleanly.

Not sure how it will hold up to the driving and whatnot... might need to replace it every couple years.

Here is the product
http://www.amazon.com/18324-Seal-Rem...7847733&sr=1-1

Its odd that your bed would be different.... how long is the bed? Mine is a 6.5 footer.
I have the short bed (5.5') so that may explain the difference. Thanks for the suggestion of the caulk. I might try that and just add some drainage tubes in case any water does get in. Here is a link to the picture of my bed

Quick Reply: Truck Bed Welding Question