2004 - 2008 F-150

Old Thread, Need New Answer

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009 | 08:39 PM
|
Old Thread, Need New Answer

Hey guys I was just searching the site for information on Smittybilt Nerf Steps and came across a thread from 2006 that was never answered, that im trying to see if anyone can answer it now..

Posted by Duke16

Smittybilt steps for 06 Supercrew
I just got the black smittybilt step bars and went to mount them. The emergency brake comes out of the same spot as the bracket they gave me. It won't work without some drastic cutting and then rethreading the e-brake through the cut or hole. I was wondering if anybody has had this problem. I tried contacting performance products and smittybilt. No response yet. I am hoping that the wrong bracket was sent. My truck looks dumb with one side done since I did the passenger side first. Help
I have an 05, and was wondering if I am going to run into the same problem when I receive my steps... Thanks guys, I know I have talked a lot about these steps in a couple other threads..

Old 05-06-2009 | 06:38 PM
|
damn... nothing

Old 05-13-2009 | 05:27 PM
|
Well I got my steps in on Monday, and proceeded to put them on.. Well the manufacture put the labels on wrong. They put the driver side on the passenger side steps and vise versa... I almost started drilling holes till I decided it didn't look quite right.

Well to answer my own question, and for anyone else who was wondering... Once I changed around the steps, it was a simple bolt on design, no drilling required. Now when I got the steps I had purchased them and the listing said "Smittybilt" but the steps are "N-Fab" ...oh well thats what I wanted in the first place but were about $50-60 more. The installation sheet said "N-Fab by Smittybilt" and used the N-Fab logo, so I dont know if Smittybilt makes them or what...

BUT anyway... I mounted the steps, and the parking brake cable does go right where the front mount on the driver side is. But it is a "C" bracket.. well more of an backwards "E" bracket and I just moved the cable in between one of the slots. I pressed the parking brake and it does get tight up against the bracket but I never really use it anyway and I dont think it is hurting anything... am I wrong?

A few early pic's if iphone to show the look.. dont mind the dirt

Old 05-13-2009 | 05:43 PM
Very Nice looking steps,
good looking supercrew.

Im going down that same road soon but black instead of chrome.
How do you like them? Explain more about the parking brake cable?

Old 05-13-2009 | 08:32 PM
Looks Good

Old 05-13-2009 | 09:20 PM
|
Originally Posted by Old Dogg™
Very Nice looking steps,
good looking supercrew.

Im going down that same road soon but black instead of chrome.
How do you like them? Explain more about the parking brake cable?
If you look under your truck on the driver side, you will see 6 holes (3 sets) about 2' from each other... Those are where the C brackets mount to your truck. If you look at the driver side you will see your E-Brake running down the side of your vehicle above the pinch weld, and then cross over to run down the frame. That first set of bolts and C bracket will be right where the E-Brake is...

So I just moved the brake line so that it is in the middle of the C bracket so it can still flow through. When the E-Brake is depressed the line tightens and then you have tension and it barely touches the bracket. I never really use my E-brake so I think it will be fine for me.

Quick Reply: Old Thread, Need New Answer