2004 - 2008 F-150

New camera...new pictures.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009 | 12:35 PM
Nice photos. And that new Canon XS is a really nice camera too. In fact, I've been considering getting one myself. {because the 7 digi cams I have are not enough ! Doh ! :-)

However, with photography being my "second love", I really just want to stress, that not only are DSLR's not neccessary for the occasional photographer, they can actually be detrimental.

Yes, their are things that a DSLR vastly excels in, like low light, or long exposure shots. Or (with a very expensive, long zoom lens) long distance shots.
But with normal daylight shots of an F150.... or, of a trophy sportfish ;-) I contend that any one of the latest, best, fixed lens cameras can do > so close to "as good" a job < that nobody on this forum, viewing photos shrunk down for the internet, could tell, whether the shots came from a fixed lens camera, or a DSLR.

The other thing is, unless you want to get really serious, and creative with photography, photos from a DSLR are 10X's easier to screw up. Just a much steeper learning curve.

Finally, don't be mistaken that a fixed lens camera, or > a point and shoot < is a camera for dummies, which offers no photographic control, or creativity on the users part. ALL of the upper end, fixed lens cameras allow the user to change all kinds of settings, to be as creative as you want to be.

Anyway, here is a whole bunch of my photograhy work.... 98% of which was taken with a fixed lens, point and shoot camera. Try picking the few taken with my DSLR and get back to me ;-)
http://www.trophybassonly.com/id182.htm

Anyway, yea', like I said, I am really considering that new Canon XS...... but I won't buy it "unless" I can buy the Canon 100-400L zoom lens at the same time ($1500.... but a must for long range nature stuff).

Bottom line is > DSLR's can be great..... but would probably be detrimental for most of the guys here, and not worth the extra $$$.

Peace,
Fish

Old 05-08-2009 | 01:17 PM
Oh BTW......

point and shoot

point and shoot

point and shoot

point and shoot

point and shoot

Peace,
Fish

Oh.... and my sig photo, point and shoot ;-)

Old 05-08-2009 | 06:15 PM
|
^I completely agree with you, I've taken plenty of pictures with my 110 dollar Canon A590 that came out great in my opinion. For me getting the new DSLR was something I wanted for pictures in general, and not just one's of my truck. If your just going to snap a picture here and there there's no reason why a simple point and shoot wouldn't work fine for your needs. One thing I have noticed in the 300 or so pictures I've taken so far with this is that there seems to be a little more leniency when you adjust the apeture and shutter speeds that allow you to get good pictures even if you doing have everything dialed in right at all, especially in higher ISO's. I take three or four shots of every angle constantly adjusting things and to tell you the truth nearly all of them looked the same.

Old 05-09-2009 | 01:18 AM
Right on :-)

I'm glad you didn't take that in the wrong way. Like I say, I do own a DSLR myself (an Oly E510..... but your Canon XS is a better camera) and also, like I say, I do want the new Canon XS too.... it's just that $1500 lens that I need with it, that kills me !

Oh BTW, you mentioned your Canon A590.... a great little point and shoot ! I actually own an A630, an A640, and an A650is, and I can't say enough great things about them ! In fact, the 650 is my primary all around snapshot, and fish photo camera. Too bad they were "too good" for the $$$, so Canon killed that series, as it was costing them sales of too many of their more expensive cameras :-(

Anyway, just so these guys understand, that a mid to high level fixed lens camera, can take absolutely beautiful shots of still stuff (like F150's, and big *** trophy sportfish :-) in good lighting..... nearly identicle to those taken with a DSLR.

It's only if you want to get serious into the art of photography..... learning all the ins and outs... spending a TON on good glass.... shooting in low light, or fast moving subjects, or distant subjects, where a DSLR really becomes a neccessity.

Peace,
Fish

Old 05-09-2009 | 01:38 AM
Thumbs up

Not to Hijack but Chris, awesome Humming Bird pics and how in the heck did you get it to land on your hand We love hummingbirds, cameras, and F150's And BTW I have the Cannon Rebel Xt and I totally 100% agree, I rather grab my old worn out Cannon Powershot 500, than my Rebel, I feel intimidated by the XT

Lovethetide:
Nice pics, see ya in Death Valley

Old 05-09-2009 | 05:34 AM
love the photos guys. keep it up

Old 05-09-2009 | 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by BayouSupercrew
Not to Hijack but Chris, awesome Humming Bird pics and how in the heck did you get it to land on your hand We love hummingbirds, cameras, and F150's And BTW I have the Cannon Rebel Xt and I totally 100% agree, I rather grab my old worn out Cannon Powershot 500, than my Rebel, I feel intimidated by the XT

Lovethetide:
Nice pics, see ya in Death Valley

Not so fast my friend, there is a nice visit to Tuscaloosa for you guys this year.

Old 05-09-2009 | 11:21 AM
Hey Bayou, first off, just to try to be helpful to "anyone" who reads this thread, and is interested in photography, I have to say, I learned more (95% of all that I know about photography) from these forums > http://www.dpreview.com/forums/

Anyway, about the Hummers.... Basically, I was taking a bunch of those up close and personal shots of them, with my camera on a tripod, set up, and prefocused right out in front of the feeder, and with a remote, neumatic shutter release. So, a Hummer would come up, I'd take several shots... camera 10 inches, and me 15 feet away. After that, I'd walk back over to the camera. Well enevitably, I'd be over at the camera quite often, when a Hummer would come up to feed, so I'd just stand still like a statue. After a bit, I started sticking my hand out towards them, just to see how close I could get. Turns out > very ! :-) At some point I got the idea to put my finger in place as a perch. Took a lot of standing like a statue, but once they started landing on my finger, I ended up having 4 different ones do that ! :-) I remember I was trying to stay dead still, even though my heart was pounding out of my chest ! I imagined the Hummer feeling / hearing my heart pounding like the dinosuars aproaching in Jurrassic Park ;-) LOL

In short..... a LOT of patience. Good thing for a hard-core fisherman to posess.

BTW Bayou, and LoveTheTides, they have a Canon XS/XT specific forum at the photography place I posted the link to above.

Peace,
Fish

Quick Reply: New camera...new pictures.