2004 - 2008 F-150

F150 emblem

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009 | 05:41 AM
|
F150 emblem

I recently just got a 2006 XLT F-150 with 60K on it for $10,000...went to a dealer auction, and it was the craziest experience i've had yet...haha...the truck runs great and everything else is perfect except for the rear ford emblem and the windows. The rear emblem is faded and I want to change it out without causing damage to the tail gate...also I just got the windows tinited but the guy who tinted them said there was a weird acid rain pattern on the window, which I can see now....is this normal? and how do i get rid of it? Also I was wondering how to change out the rear emblem without damageing the truck...any help would be appriciated, thank you...I finally found a way to own my dream truck, screw GM....haha...thanks in advance...

Old 05-10-2009 | 08:15 AM
Originally Posted by Jergs702
I recently just got a 2006 XLT F-150 with 60K on it for $10,000...went to a dealer auction, and it was the craziest experience i've had yet...haha...the truck runs great and everything else is perfect except for the rear ford emblem and the windows. The rear emblem is faded and I want to change it out without causing damage to the tail gate...also I just got the windows tinited but the guy who tinted them said there was a weird acid rain pattern on the window, which I can see now....is this normal? and how do i get rid of it? Also I was wondering how to change out the rear emblem without damageing the truck...any help would be appriciated, thank you...I finally found a way to own my dream truck, screw GM....haha...thanks in advance...
Welcome to the Ford family and the board. To replace the emblem all you will need is some simple heavy fishing line and a warm day. Just take the line and slip it behind the emblem and work it back and forth to "saw" through the mounting tape. There are a couple of alignment pins on the back that you cannot saw through but work around them and it will pop right off. Some people use a hair dryer to heat it up if it gives you any problem. I personally tape off around the emblem to protect the paint and to help in the alignment of the new emblem.

For the acid rain spots (I am assuming) get a product from a grocery store or Wal-Mart called "Bar Keepers Friend" I believe. It should be with either the glass cleaners or the dish washing supplies and use as directed. Just make sure to keep it off of your paint.

Old 05-10-2009 | 02:18 PM
heat guns or hair dryers def help with the emblem removal but other than that id agree...

Old 05-10-2009 | 06:34 PM
Originally Posted by Jergs702
I have an 06 XLT F-150 and my Ford emblems did the same thing. Just a couple of weeks ago I replaced both of them. The grill is easy, it is screwed on. For the tailgate emblem, like the Hokieron said, wait for a warm day and use fishing line with a sawing motion. I started from the right side until I hit the pin. Then I did the left side. Then I went top down and bottom up until I hit the pins. There are 3 guide pins on each emblem. The glue is the only thing holding the tailgate emblem on. I took a cotton towel and used that against the paint while I slid a flat blade steel putty knife in between the emblem and the tailgate and it just popped right off. Use 3M adhesive remover or WD-40 to remove the adhesive from the tailgate, then you can put the new emblem on.

The key here is to use stout fishing line. At first I tried using dental floss because I didn't want to damage anything. Dental floss just slides up into the emblem. Fishing line cuts the glue.

I did mine with no damage. Several guys on here took their's to the dealer and the dealers messed up the paint on their tailgates.

Take your time and be patient. It will come off.

Another option is http://www.patriotdecals.com/

Old 05-10-2009 | 07:07 PM
i think hes talking about the ford emblems, not the F-150 badges.

is it the same way? adhesive on the back? or are the ford ones bolted on?

Old 05-10-2009 | 07:15 PM
My post refers to the Ford oval emblems. On the 06, the Ford oval emblems on the tailgate are held on by glue. They have 3 guide pins. The front one on the grill has two nuts that screw onto two of the guide pins.

BTW - nice looking truck Eff One Fifty.

Last edited by hemigod; 05-10-2009 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-10-2009 | 07:45 PM
|
Thumbs up thanks for the help

really appriciate all of the imput, I didn't want to mess anything up on the tailgate. It sounds easy enough as far as the removal, did you guy's order your new emblems through the dealership or is there a website that has the stock emblems...and does it come with new adhesive or do I have to purchase a special kind of adhesive. Also I was wondering if you guys knew where to get a new shell for the radio to go in on the dash. Who ever had the truck before me must of had a GPS or something on the dash and when they took it off they took a bunch of the plastic with it...haha...it doesn't look that bad but now that I have an awesome truck my OCD is starting to kick in and I get pissed off everytime I see a flaw...its just the plastic that surrouunds the cd player and the air controls and all that, its probably not worth the pain to change it out but I was just curious...thanks for all of your help I really appriciate it.

Old 05-10-2009 | 07:59 PM
The ones from the dealer come with the adhesive already on. You just peel off the backing and stick it on, using the guide pins to line it up. The guide pins go into holes in the tailgate. The oval emblems aren't cheap, my dealer charged me something like $47 apiece. I couldn't find replacements for our size (9 inch oval) anywhere but the dealer. Your dealer might be cheaper.

Can't help you on the plastic surround. Check with the guys on the "head units" or "multimedia and navigation" forums on this site.

Old 05-10-2009 | 09:11 PM
How can I go to a dealer auction? What is required? Any info would be appreciated.

Old 05-11-2009 | 05:13 PM
|
auction

I found a guy that owned a small used car dealer ship...went and talked him into taking me and I said I'd give him $400.00 if I found anything I liked...we went and I ended up getting a really good deal, paid for the truck there and paid the taxes to the dealership and I told him I would give him the $400.00 once the title comes in...so I got a bill of sale and everything is legal, he didn't even stay at the auction with me and he gets $400 for practically doing nothing and I get a good deal, works out for both of us...it was prety nerve racking seeing as how I had no experience with auctions and I was there alone, but it all worked out...I got a 2006 4X4 XLT 5.4 Triton V8 with like 60K miles for $10,000. Kelly BB said the suggested retail on it was $21,000 and the trade in value was like $15,000 worked out in my favor even though I still owe the guy like $400 It was still worth it since I would of paid more if I went to a dealership. Im trying to post a picture but I can't figure it out...ill get one uploaded soon...

Last edited by Jergs702; 05-11-2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old 05-12-2009 | 06:32 AM
Dealer auctions are typically for licensed dealers. Some great deals can be had, but remember these are vehicles that the dealer does not want to put on their own used car lot. The typical type of vehicle that heads to the auction are one's with a few too many miles or are more then 2 years old or one's where the dealer already has too much inventory of that model. But auctions are also where problem vehicles end up. (not implying that Jergs bought a problem, I'd put money on this truck being excess inventory).

But the thing to watch for at a dealer auction is the bidding process. I've gone to many of these over the years and found one thing in common. I've seen more Coke machines or tool boxes or other objects bid on vehicles.

There's all sorts of good practices to learn if you're going to play at dealer auctions.

Quick Reply: F150 emblem