2004 - 2008 F-150

looking for fx4

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009 | 10:53 PM
|
Exclamation looking for fx4

In a few months i will be ready to buy my first truck. my new job requires it to be a 4 door and 4x4. an 05 or 06 model best fits my budget right now. the best looking trucks for that amount of money is hands down the f-150. i would like to know if there is anything that i need to be aware of befor i purchase one of these. i'm also wanting an fx4 package. would this truck have enough power for moderate towing and i was also wondering what kind of gas miliage i should expect.

Old 05-12-2009 | 11:54 PM
First off, good choice on the truck

Well If I was buying used and looking at the 04-06 model,...depending on the mileage I would find out if the plugs have already been changed. Becuase that could get expensive right from the start. If you do not know about this issue there is a lot of reading on this site about the plugs.

The only thing about the 05's that comes to my mind is the injector issue...me personally I would rather stay away althought it susposed to be covered up to so many years.

As far as towing...my idea of moderate towing and your's may be two different things, but I would say yes.

As far as gas mileage...there are too many variables to say...driving habits,altitude,terrain, city vs highway just to name a few. But just remember people don't buy these trucks for gas mileage.

Old 05-13-2009 | 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by zach415
In a few months i will be ready to buy my first truck. my new job requires it to be a 4 door and 4x4. an 05 or 06 model best fits my budget right now. the best looking trucks for that amount of money is hands down the f-150. i would like to know if there is anything that i need to be aware of befor i purchase one of these. i'm also wanting an fx4 package. would this truck have enough power for moderate towing and i was also wondering what kind of gas miliage i should expect.
If I were you I would look at either a 04 or 06 model, the issues with the injectors in the 05's is just something that I personally wouldn't want to take a chance or deal with. Low mileage 04's are tough to find, but if you take your time you can find them, a local dealer just had a 04 XLT 4x4, Screw, with 2X,XXX miles on it, and I believe they were asking $14,000 for it.

As for what you think is moderate towing, and what others think is moderate, that can be like apples to oranges. But yes these trucks can easily tow 5-6,000 lbs.

Like JWBFX4 said, mileage will vary greatly. I average 15 on almost every tank of fuel, that is combined ctiyand highway. I have seen as high as 19.7 on a long highway trip and as low as the 9's when towing heavy. (8K+)

Old 05-13-2009 | 11:19 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
What exactly is your new job? Does it require using the bed? If so, look for a Supercrew 6'5 bed ( 2006+ option ).

If you dont need the full sized cab but still a 4dr, a Supercab is just fine. The Supercab 6'5 bed 2004+ trucks have alot of space inside, I'm very happy with mine, and its been problem free with the acception of ball joints ( basic mantainence ) for the 13,000 miles i've had it for.

Old 05-13-2009 | 11:40 AM
When you say 4 doors, I assume you mean the supercrew cab right? Not just the supercab (extended cab). This seems to add almost up to 2k to the cost of the truck. I didn't need the full 4 doors and wanted a 6.5' bed (screw and 6.5' bed on 06+, not 04-05). I also liked the square fog lights of the 04-05 better than the round ones on the '06+. Some things you might consider when looking. I was hesitant to buy an '04 because it was the first model year but I have had no issues so far and changed the spark plugs at 42k with none breaking. I paid 12, something +ttt for my '04 FX4 with 39k on it, 7 months ago. I thought I got a decent deal. Some things may be fine for you or you may be like me and be super picky. I was not going to have chrome bumpers again, nor would I settle for anything less than the 5.4. Stuff like that might influence your choices. I would not hesitate to buy an '05 with the injector issue, but for some weird reason, I would not buy an '06 because it has the different bumper, fog lights, and peeling decals, lol. Minor stuff to most people, but I know I am odd when it comes to vehicles, so it's ok.

Darren, you beat me to it. I just took to long to hit the post button, lol.

Last edited by yetti96; 05-13-2009 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-13-2009 | 11:46 AM
I've got a 2005 SuperCrew FX4 and am extremely happy with it. I've owned two other trucks and its by far been the best.

1. Spark plug issue can be resolved yourself with $100 dollar tool and a set of plugs. If you want the dealer to do it, you are looking at $300+

2. Injector problem w/ 05's. They cover it up to 120k miles if the injectors fail and my dealer said they would cover transporting it there as well. As long as you catch it before it causes engine failure, you should be just fine. I wouldn't let it deter you from the truck if you find a 05 that you want.

3. As already stated, 5-6k lbs can be towed no problem whatsoever.

4. I get about 15-16mpg w/ mine but mine has 35" tires that cause a little more drag. Getting a good programmer can help your towing effeciency and economy as well, so keep that in mind.

I was able to pick mine up w/ 29k miles about 7 months ago, full loaded FX4 SuperCrew w/ black leather, perfect inside and out, for right at 18k. This included the leveling kit, ProComp wheels, and 35" tires as well. The deals can be had and are definitely out there.

Old 05-13-2009 | 12:25 PM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by yetti96

Darren, you beat me to it. I just took to long to hit the post button, lol.
Well you were more informative, I like to stay simple, and make my posts bigger by using pictures lol.

Old 05-13-2009 | 12:43 PM

I bought a used 05 FX4 with 38K on it 2 years ago almost....I have the cam phaser knock and brakes needed to be replaced. No major/minor problems with it but I have also changed out the heads, tails, brakes, flushed all fluids, added an edge programmer etc.

Just be picky when shopping and make sure you check the suspension, tranny, brakes for problems as well as the injectors...I would stay away from 05 just because of the injector issue. I found out after I had purchased mine but luckily no problems yet and the warranty was extended to 100K miles I believe. As of now I have 58xxx on it without any major hickups.

My truck has randomly shut off on 3 occassions though with no engine codes and from reading it has happened to quite a few people with issues with the PCM software. Just started it back up and was fine but could be dangerous when on freeway etc as you lose all power steering.

I love my supercab...plenty of room and enough room to get into parking spots yet still get my 10' boat in the bed with tiedowns (6.5' bed)

Old 05-14-2009 | 10:20 PM
|
ok guys,
thanks i had no i dea of the issues on the 05 and 06 models, i will definitley take the time to look up and research those issues in the upcoming months. you all have been a big help

Old 05-14-2009 | 10:59 PM
Our family has a 2005 5.4 xlt 4x4 supercrew. 71k miles. no major problem.

Pulled 65k miles out of the stock general tires
At 71k miles, the back brakes will probably need replaced in atleast the next 5k miles. Not very expensive though. $47 for brakes on all 4 wheels after rebate.

My only recommendations are get the tow package, so that you get the nice big radiator and transmission cooler to protect your fluids from overheating.

If you want a 4x4 to brag about, buy a 05+ 4x4 superduty for the solid front axle.

Last edited by Need4racin; 05-14-2009 at 11:07 PM.

Quick Reply: looking for fx4