2004 - 2008 F-150

paint interior

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009 | 11:08 PM
|
paint interior

im wanting to paint my entire interior dash, steering wheel(if possible), and everything black in my truck but i need to know what all i will need to do it... and maybe some ideas from you guys. my truck is true blue but idk if i should paint all the pieces black or some true blue... or maybe some even red bc i think red looks really good

Old 05-13-2009 | 12:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

are you trying to get it to match the exterior paint? If so you may want to consider having a body shop paint it to get the depth on the clear coat and paint.

If you just want them black or blue rattle can you can do it that way as well.

You will need:
Rattle can paint of your choice and color (duplicolor will work fine)
800 grit wet/dry sandpaper
1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper
2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper
clear coat (rattle can will work but if you are not experienced you may want a body shop to spray the clear for you) Duplicolor acrylic enamel will work
-3M rubbing compound
-Meguires Plast X
-Your choice of wax
-Rattle Can Primer

Let me know if you need to know the steps to do it...I painted my mustang interior and it came out perfect.

basically sand with 600 grit and a mixture of water and dish soap, then use terry towel etc to wipe clean and let dry....this allows paint to stick. Spray your primer and wet sand with 1000 grit. Then spray your paint in LIGHT coats, wet sand between coats, spray on clear coat thicker but dont let it run, wet sand between coats, do at least 2-3, let dry for couple hours if not overnight, then bust out your buffing compounds and do 4 coats of Plast X, 4 coats of Rubbing compound and then 4 coats of your wax and your done

Old 05-13-2009 | 01:37 PM
Youre not supposed to wax fresh paint

Old 05-13-2009 | 01:38 PM
|
i was told that if i get the krylon fusion for plastic that i wouldnt need to sand it or anything....

Old 05-13-2009 | 01:39 PM
|
and just some adhesion promotor and that was it

Old 05-13-2009 | 05:15 PM
Technical Article Contributor

you will need to wet sand the clear coat if you clear it...highly recommend you do or else it will be a flat color with no shine.

forgot to add, you dont want to wax the paint until at least a week after painted and do a light coat for protectant of the clear coat...then a full wax after about a month

sanding prior to painting helps the paint stick to a smooth surface as it is not smooth anymore...you could get an adhesive promotor but why not just sand it? Risk of not sanding can lead to paint chipping off as it may not stick to the smooth plastic properly Or use the adhesive promotor, your call, just extra money you dont need to spend

Heres the result in my stang:

Last edited by 05BlackFX4; 05-13-2009 at 05:17 PM.
Old 05-14-2009 | 11:15 PM
|
ok so i painted everything last night and it all stuck good but the only problem is that the rubber part that you grab wont dry... idk if its bc its paint for plastic or what but please just let me know what yall think

Quick Reply: paint interior