2004 - 2008 F-150

Big block swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 11:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Big block swap

I asked this question on another site and recieved some good suggestions.....so i wanted to ask here too.
My truck is a 2004 f-150 ext cab 4x4 4.6..... I plan on swaping in a big block 460....why u ask?? Lol.....well i already have the engine and a good friend of mine will be building it....the motor should be pushing around 750hp....the truck will also be lifted and on 37x14.5x22 tires....my main concerns are motor mounts,headers,clearance and strengh of the frame itself....if any of you know a project like this or have any suggestions i would really like to hear your input....this project is still just in the planning stages but i really hope it can be done without having to customize everything!!!!.......thanks for your help....kenny

Last edited by Robb M.; 07-03-2009 at 10:23 AM.
Old 07-02-2009, 11:44 PM
you will have to customize everything.....transmission, driveshaft, A/C, power steering, electrical system...

Old 07-02-2009, 11:48 PM
yes, the frame is strong enough, but everything is going to take custom fabrication

Old 07-02-2009, 11:48 PM
Suspended
Why don't you get a F-250 and make this project worthwhile. There will be ton's of money involved in what you are thinking.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:57 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ftruck05
Why don't you get a F-250 and make this project worthwhile. There will be ton's of money involved in what you are thinking.
...and, also... (and I'm just thinking out loud here)... you may try turning off the CAPS. Welcome to f150online

Old 07-03-2009, 12:07 AM
LOL....sorry about that......budget i have set up is 15k for this project.....will have cheap labor costs...parts will be the biggest chunk of the cost....its the custom work that i am worried about being way too much to handle!!!!

Old 07-03-2009, 04:01 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kerickson
LOL....sorry about that......budget i have set up is 15k for this project.....will have cheap labor costs...parts will be the biggest chunk of the cost....its the custom work that i am worried about being way too much to handle!!!!
Don't know where you live, but in this state you would never get that thing registered. There is no way in Gods green earth that anyone within the borders of the state would pass smog on it... no pass smog... no registration. Every single thing on that truck has to at least meet the standards of the vehicle when it was produced (in '04). You intend to insure it? Good luck! No agent in his right mind would write the policy on it, he'd lose his insurance license for sure.

Trending Topics

Old 07-03-2009, 10:46 AM
You'd never get it registered. In any state.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:56 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
The axles and transfer case won't last more than 20 feet. Your going to need an older stronger front and rear axle, driveshaft, and transfer case.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:21 AM
Suspended
cool project but if i was spending 15k on a motor swap id be looking into a diesel and small SAS w/ 38's or so

Old 07-03-2009, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
cool project but if i was spending 15k on a motor swap id be looking into a diesel and small SAS w/ 38's or so
haha same here my truck would be in the shop right now coming out with 46s or 49s

Old 07-03-2009, 11:44 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like everyone has said, unless you plan on towing it to every mud bog or trail ride you go to, you won't be able to get it anywhere. Just the motor swap alone will be enough to make it illegal on all streets and highways.

The only motor swap you could do legally would be a 5.4 or 4.2 swap. IIRC the only motors you are legally allowed to swap in must be available, on the same model of truck, in the same year your truck was built.

It sounds like a sick project, but there is still a lot to be considered. Keep us updated with what you're doing

Old 07-03-2009, 12:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=10261

This one bolts right up but will require a few electronic adjustments. You can find it for around 15K if you shop around.

But bear in mind your drivetrain will cry.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by code58
Don't know where you live, but in this state you would never get that thing registered. There is no way in Gods green earth that anyone within the borders of the state would pass smog on it... no pass smog... no registration. Every single thing on that truck has to at least meet the standards of the vehicle when it was produced (in '04). You intend to insure it? Good luck! No agent in his right mind would write the policy on it, he'd lose his insurance license for sure.
Originally Posted by Carlsson3
You'd never get it registered. In any state.
Originally Posted by NoLongerJeepin
Like everyone has said, unless you plan on towing it to every mud bog or trail ride you go to, you won't be able to get it anywhere. Just the motor swap alone will be enough to make it illegal on all streets and highways.

The only motor swap you could do legally would be a 5.4 or 4.2 swap. IIRC the only motors you are legally allowed to swap in must be available, on the same model of truck, in the same year your truck was built.

It sounds like a sick project, but there is still a lot to be considered. Keep us updated with what you're doing
If he lives somewhere that does not require smog testing, he can do what ever he wants, who's gonna know. Here in Ohio, only Cleveland and the surrounding area require smog testing, the rest of the state, you can do whatever you want, nobody will know the difference.

Technically what he plans to do is illeagal, but so is removing your cats, driving 56 in a 55, spitting on the sidewalk, and so on.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 05RedFX4
If he lives somewhere that does not require smog testing, he can do what ever he wants, who's gonna know. Here in Ohio, only Cleveland and the surrounding area require smog testing, the rest of the state, you can do whatever you want, nobody will know the difference.

Technically what he plans to do is illeagal, but so is removing your cats, driving 56 in a 55, spitting on the sidewalk, and so on.
I never thought about the lack of testing. How is the insurance going to factor in? Do you tell them? Or not, and risk having them drop you in the event of a crash?

Quick Reply: Big block swap