2004 - 2008 F-150

Caliper dragging hard....

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009 | 10:47 PM
|
Caliper dragging hard....

I've seen this before on these threads, but I was wondering if anyone else has had issues with the stock calipers sticking/dragging recently?

I drove home from my uncles farm, about 20 miles or so, and the wheel got so hot I couldn't touch it for at least an hour and a half, I gave up on it after that and went to bed. And holy hell did those pads smell burned up. How the center cap is still there is beyond me.

Front passenger side only, the other 3 are fine.

I don't know if it's just an 04 problem, or if this is something that's happening to other 04-08 trucks.

Wonder if living in the snow belt has a more adverse affect on these calipers perhaps?

Old 07-07-2009 | 07:32 AM
Same thing happened to my '06 about a month ago. Front passenger caliper started dragging on the way home from work. After pulling caliper off the rotor and removing the pads I could see that the pistons were disentegrated. They had literaly cracked, were missing large chunks and were powdery. I ended up spending about $400 to replace both front rotors, calipers, pads and flushing all the brake fluid. Upon inspection, the driver side pistons were also showing signs of extreme wear (small cracks, chunks missing from edge of piston).

Old 07-07-2009 | 07:37 AM
Global Moderator &
if you have a wheel bearing fail you could have similar heat symptoms, except the tire should be leaning in at the top because the bearing isnt holding the weight anymore

Quick Reply: Caliper dragging hard....