2004 - 2008 F-150

Oil Pressure Sending Unit Location

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009 | 05:19 PM
|
Oil Pressure Sending Unit Location

Has anyone installed an aftermarket oil pressure gauge on an '06 FX4 5.4L? And where/how did you install the sending unit?

I am tired of the idiot gauge Ford puts in these trucks and want a real report of oil pressure. A while back I picked up a gauge pod from CDC and some Autometer GS Series gauges and put them in. Looks pretty good in thr truck but I have yet to find a suitable way to install the sending unit for the oil pressure.

The stock location for the sending unit is located behind the oil filter right above the differential. Very tight in there and not very accessible. I really do not see enough clearance to install a tee fitting, the original sending unit, plus a second one for the Autometer gauge. I would like to retain the functionality of the stock oil pressure gauge. I have even looked into an oil filter sandwich adapter and tapping into that (Glowshift makes a decent one for around 30 bucks). But pushing the oil filter out another inch from the block starts to interfere with the radiator hose, so that looks like a no go.

Anybody think the following will work? Remove the stock single wire sending unit and replace with the 3 wire unit for the new gauge. Connect new gauge to new sender. Tie the signal wire from the new sending unit to the wire connector for the old sending unit. Since the stock gauge basically looks for pressure above 5 psi, as long the engine is producing pressure, I am hoping this would still trigger the stock gauge.

What do you guys think, am I on to a workable solution here?

Old 09-15-2009 | 10:38 PM
What I have done in the past during my Honda Civic days was to remove the sending unit from the block and replace it with a length of stainless steel braided line. At the opposite end I installed a tee which had the stock sender on one side and the autometer sender on the other side. Then you just have to zip tie the tee to something, the brake lines on the firewall for example.
Actually now that I think of it I was using the mechanical guages but the principle is still the same.

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Sending Unit Location