2004 - 2008 F-150

Transmission went out at 58K

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009 | 05:12 PM
|
Transmission went out at 58K

So first lets start things off by saying that I have 35 inch tires, 6 inch lift and 3:55 gears. Now I am driving along and all the sudden it feels like I am in neutral. I pull over turn the truck off, turn it back on, and shift into D, nothing, so I try 2 and 1 nothing, so then I try reverse, nothing. I figure maybe I can use 4 wheel drive, nope. So I get out and call a tow truck, all of the sudden smoke from outside and it is coming inside. I look under the truck and there is tranny fluid everywhere. Take it to the dealership as it is under warranty. They keep it for 4 days and tell me the torque converter has cracked. They fix it and I get it back. Now I have been driving it for two days and I have a couple leaks in my driveway. Hmm don't know if I should drive it more or take it back? Just an fyi they installed an external filter from the trans cooler to the trans. These trannys are crap. I have never towed anything with this truck and do about a 60% city 40% highway driving pattern. Glad I had the extended warranty.

Old 09-23-2009 | 05:59 PM
might be a stupid question, are the leaks in your driveway trans fluid? if so yeah i would take it back

Old 09-23-2009 | 06:09 PM
Defiantly take it back, there is no reason to put up with that for the rest of the time you own it.

Old 09-23-2009 | 06:23 PM
Truck of the Month
I'd take it back. It could just be some residual fluid that made it's way to the ground, or a bad sealing job.

As far as these transmissions being crap, I don't think so. You may see what you feel like are tons of threads about transmission failures, but this is a message board. That's what they are for. Message boards represent a minute fraction of what actually happens out there in the general public.

FWIW there are members here with over 100,000 miles on their 04-08 transmission without any issues.

Also I believe your tire setup and 3:55 gear ratio didn't do your transmission any favors. That's tough on any transmission.

Old 09-23-2009 | 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth
Also I believe your tire setup and 3:55 gear ratio didn't do your transmission any favors. That's tough on any transmission.
X2

My trans went out at 90k, same symptoms (except the smoke and fluid) as yours except I didn't crack the torque converter, I took out the front clutch packs.

Before you put to much abuse on that fresh tranny I would seriously consider getting gears. It will greatly reduce the stress on your transmission

Old 09-25-2009 | 10:46 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by adaniels88
So first lets start things off by saying that I have 35 inch tires, 6 inch lift and 3:55 gears. Now I am driving along and all the sudden it feels like I am in neutral. I pull over turn the truck off, turn it back on, and shift into D, nothing, so I try 2 and 1 nothing, so then I try reverse, nothing. I figure maybe I can use 4 wheel drive, nope. So I get out and call a tow truck, all of the sudden smoke from outside and it is coming inside. I look under the truck and there is tranny fluid everywhere. Take it to the dealership as it is under warranty. They keep it for 4 days and tell me the torque converter has cracked. They fix it and I get it back. Now I have been driving it for two days and I have a couple leaks in my driveway. Hmm don't know if I should drive it more or take it back? Just an fyi they installed an external filter from the trans cooler to the trans. These trannys are crap. I have never towed anything with this truck and do about a 60% city 40% highway driving pattern. Glad I had the extended warranty.
Um, okay.

Old 09-25-2009 | 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by adaniels88
so first lets start things off by saying that i have 35 inch tires, 6 inch lift and 3:55 gears. Now i am driving along and all the sudden it feels like i am in neutral. I pull over turn the truck off, turn it back on, and shift into d, nothing, so i try 2 and 1 nothing, so then i try reverse, nothing. I figure maybe i can use 4 wheel drive, nope. So i get out and call a tow truck, all of the sudden smoke from outside and it is coming inside. I look under the truck and there is tranny fluid everywhere. Take it to the dealership as it is under warranty. They keep it for 4 days and tell me the torque converter has cracked. They fix it and i get it back. Now i have been driving it for two days and i have a couple leaks in my driveway. Hmm don't know if i should drive it more or take it back? Just an fyi they installed an external filter from the trans cooler to the trans. these trannys are crap. i have never towed anything with this truck and do about a 60% city 40% highway driving pattern. Glad i had the extended warranty.

Originally Posted by quintin
um, okay.

l m f a o

Last edited by rms8; 09-25-2009 at 10:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Transmission went out at 58K