2004 - 2008 F-150

Audi LED Running lights?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009 | 01:38 PM
So these could be wired to blink with turn signals??..............Subscribing!

Old 12-01-2009 | 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by Josiah
very nice looking job on the yamaha bikes =] Anymore shots?

Just wire them to the parking/running lights (amber lights next to headlights). This is a very simple mod, the roughest parts would be opening the headlight (if you choose to do so) and/or drilling. I would definitely not go my route of drilling, the led strips are perfectly spaced, pre-wired, so much less of a hassle
I have many shots and they are not yamaha bikes they are HONDA lol

opening the headlights is not hard- it just takes time and patience. I had to do mine like 5 times until i got the right lights that wouldnt burn out lol.

the prewired LED's are the way to go like you said less of a hassle

Originally Posted by FI10Fires
So these could be wired to blink with turn signals??..............Subscribing!
yes they could be wired to blink with the turn signals.. however i wouldnt choose this option because the policeman might pull you over for it.

Old 12-01-2009 | 05:48 PM
|
alright since i trust josiah's and way2qk4u2c's word.....whats yalls take on the route i should go.....im guessing im going to run the set of led strips that way2qk4u2c posted.......now im debating opening the headlight and putting the strips inside....or just mounting them between the headlight and bumper.

secondly.....whats yalls opinion on where i should wire them to?

Old 12-01-2009 | 06:56 PM
If your mechanically inclined i would put them inside the headlight housing- itll look more realistic and OEM like.

Im not sure how itll look under the headlight between the bumper- but heres something easy to do.

Buy the strips and just put some sticky tape on the back of it and mount it loosely under the headlight. Turn them on and see how you like it. If you dont then you know your last option to do is lol.

It depends how you want to run the lights. You could wire them to parking lights or to your fogs. They dont draw alot of power so you wont strain anything that you tap from. Or you can run a whole new line and put a switch in.

What i did on my bike was- tapped from the main wiring harness to have 12v constantly (it is fused as well) then i put a switch in which would interupt the lights at any given moment.

You need to figure out when you want them on and off. If you wire them to your lights then you can never use them just by themself. If you wire them to your parking lights- once again you cant use them by themself. so it all depends on your preference

Old 12-01-2009 | 07:19 PM
Global Moderator &
the new 2010 Land Rover products have LED running lights, look them up for more ideas on spacing and layout.

i can draw you up a diagram of how to wire them ifyou let me know exactly how you want them to perform.

check out my LED taillight thread in Street Scene if you want to see some rewiring of a factory harness to act the way you want under certain conditions

Old 12-01-2009 | 10:03 PM
|
that would be awesome patman.

i would like them to come on when i lock/unlock my truck.....unles this would dramatically shorten the life of them.

i always have my headlights on the "auto" setting to where they come on automatically in dark conditions......and i would like the lights to be on during the day...and when my headlights come on.

but would like the option to turn them off at certain times.

and also if i were to go the route to opening my headlight, hows the best way to do that.

Old 12-02-2009 | 01:13 AM
Global Moderator &
Originally Posted by patshea098
that would be awesome patman.

i would like them to come on when i lock/unlock my truck.....unles this would dramatically shorten the life of them.

i always have my headlights on the "auto" setting to where they come on automatically in dark conditions......and i would like the lights to be on during the day...and when my headlights come on.

but would like the option to turn them off at certain times.

and also if i were to go the route to opening my headlight, hows the best way to do that.
Bake @ 200 for 10 minutes, i believe, double check some of the "painted factory headlights" threads.

Ill get started on the wiring diagram for you, send me an email por favor

Old 12-02-2009 | 02:01 AM
|
awesome, i think im getting new head lights for christmas so i can experiment on my stock head lights IF i decide to mount them inside.

way2qk, you siad you painted the led strips?? their paintable??

Old 12-02-2009 | 08:39 AM
Yeah the first strip that you wanted are not paintable- the 2nd strip i got was able to be paintable.

I just used regular spray paint and taped the LED's and it turned out great. I painted mine black to blend in with the inside of my headlight.

Yeah i might do what your saying as well- running lights and when i unlock the door to turn on and such. You can wire that up to you dome light if you wanted. Since i have a remote starter/ alarm i know where all my wires are for my dome switch - thats the easiest way i can think of if you want it to turn on when you unlock your truck.

You could also put in a diode and have a sepearate 12v source to turn them on when you want them on. That way it wont turn on your dome light too LOL

Last edited by way2qk4u2c; 12-02-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-02-2009 | 04:32 PM
i too would love to see the look of an installed strip under the headlights. I already ordered a set but i would love to see what they look like before my installation.

Old 12-02-2009 | 04:52 PM
|
awesome....well christmas on the way, we will see what happens.

and cant wait to see the diagram patman comes up with

Old 12-02-2009 | 05:11 PM
So does anyone have pics of this actually on the truck? This mod looks great. Im wanting to switch back to my stock headlights, but like the aftermarket looks. This would make a perfect option.

Old 12-02-2009 | 06:36 PM
|
i have yet to see them on our truck.....but we will soon

Old 12-02-2009 | 07:26 PM
Make sure if you're getting the LEDs, that you at least have HIDs (or a whiter light that sorta matches.)

Just saw a car with an LED strip under his stock headlights, and it looked stupid and out of place. The LEDs were a cool white color (I'd say 6000k HID equivalent), while his headlights had stock halogen bulbs.

Old 12-02-2009 | 08:26 PM
Global Moderator &
Originally Posted by ELVATO
Make sure if you're getting the LEDs, that you at least have HIDs (or a whiter light that sorta matches.)

Just saw a car with an LED strip under his stock headlights, and it looked stupid and out of place. The LEDs were a cool white color (I'd say 6000k HID equivalent), while his headlights had stock halogen bulbs.

Good point,

ill get around to the diagram soon Pat. Just keep bugging me if needed

Quick Reply: Audi LED Running lights?