2004 - 2008 F-150

recon bed lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the Recon bed lights and their awesome! I'm running a BakFlip and a Bedrug so the lights tuck up under the rail nice and tight without utilizing the adhesive on the back of the lights. The wires are tucked behind the Bedrug. For power, I drilled a hole and installed a push button type of switch, similar to a dome light switch, then ran power directly from the battery so whenever I drop my gate the lights come on. If you want I can get a picture of the switch and location later.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by johnnyd2723
I have the Recon bed lights and their awesome! I'm running a BakFlip and a Bedrug so the lights tuck up under the rail nice and tight without utilizing the adhesive on the back of the lights. The wires are tucked behind the Bedrug. For power, I drilled a hole and installed a push button type of switch, similar to a dome light switch, then ran power directly from the battery so whenever I drop my gate the lights come on. If you want I can get a picture of the switch and location later.
Please post a pic of the switch and location. Thanks

Old 01-13-2010, 01:25 PM
Cool johnny I am also installing a bed rug in 2 weeks so you are saying install after bedrug then the rug will hold them in place?

If you run it off the cargo light do you just roll the dimmer switch up until dome light comes on?

Old 01-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by alex06
Cool johnny I am also installing a bed rug in 2 weeks so you are saying install after bedrug then the rug will hold them in place?

If you run it off the cargo light do you just roll the dimmer switch up until dome light comes on?
Actually yes, I misspoke. They wedge nice and tight between the rug and the bed rail, not the tonneau rail so I think you'll be pleased. My power supply isn't ran off the cargo, it's straight to the battery. I'll try and get some pics up tonight, if not it will be tomorrow.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:26 PM
One more question for those who tapped off a wire did you just use one of those clamp on wire splice deals or did you bare the wire and solder it I would think they dont draw much juice?

thanks to everyone.

Old 01-14-2010, 04:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I ran mine directly to the battery and under the truck...I have a switch in the cab near the Ebrake release drilled into the dash....2 SMD bars from Oznium on each side of the bed...wires are run under the truck then come up between the cab and truck bed and tuck under my drop in liner. SMD bars are zip tied into place so they cannot be seen under the lip of the bed rails.

Pictures in gallery

Old 01-14-2010, 05:43 PM
Old 01-15-2010, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by alex06
One more question for those who tapped off a wire did you just use one of those clamp on wire splice deals or did you bare the wire and solder it I would think they dont draw much juice?

thanks to everyone.
I always try not to cut stock wiring...harder to fix if you do something wrong. Just use a "T" tap...your new wire sits into one side of the tap and the tap has a location on it that slides over your existing wire and snaps shut making the connections. Then wrap in electrical tape.

Last edited by 05BlackFX4; 01-16-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:31 PM
Got the bedrug in almost. I can not remember how the tie downs go point up or down?
Also can someone post the location of the front tie downs I forgot were they go.
I have not wired the lights yet just mounted them and tested them. I think I will use a t-tap and tap of the cargo light wire Black/Blue strip I think?

Will post pics soon.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:05 PM
Looking forward to the pics.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am also very interested in doing some sort of under the rail set up for bed lighting. I looked at the recon's, and just like all the rest of their products they're a bit pricey. I really wanted some of their new LED tail lights but at $200 I changed my mind lol. There has to be a cheaper solution to some sort of bed lighting. I also want to install some sort of lighting in my interior like in a bunch of the new sports and luxury cars. I know my buddys brand new jetta has some red accent lighting which is pretty cool I think. It's not too bright at all but It definitely makes a difference and looks pretty sweet. I still need to do my dome and map lights. I'm a little behind on my LED technology so it's time to catch up!

Old 01-16-2010, 08:22 AM

I have the 4zproducts.com lights and love them. they have a swithch on the light if you want to turn them off while the talegate is down. If you leave thim on, they go on and off with the lower and lift of the gate. I have a bed cover and it lights my bed up well. I am going to try to post pix.I ran the power wire from my amp on the back wall of mycab and ground it through the trailer light hook up ground.

[IMG]DSC_0098w[/IMG]
[IMG]DSC_0107w[/IMG]

Last edited by J.Wal; 01-16-2010 at 08:27 AM. Reason: cant get pix to work
Old 01-16-2010, 09:37 AM
I ran my RECON light bar to the trailer hitch wires ..but I cut the end off the light bar..took a knife to scrape of a small area of the insulation on the trailer hitch wires and soldered them all together after using a test light to verify all the voltages.after soldering I taped each wire then taped the whole harness.I find that the blue crimp type connectors dont hold up to the salt and bad weather and the lights end up flickering after a while.
As far as bed lighting.I ran mine to my tail lights with a small toggle switch in the bed also.When I hit the remote start the rear lights come on power the switch and I just flip the switch for lighting.I have a cap on my truck and installed a nice ceiling light out of an old jeep..chrome with a GLASS cover so I can run a brighter bulb without melting the cover.(SEE PIC)The switch makes sure they dont power up while driving.doing it this way saved me from running a lot of wire.The only draw back if any is turning on the parking lights.but as i stated its great if you have a remote start.That way when your walking to the truck from the store or house just start the truck and turn on the light.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by j.walton
I have the 4zproducts.com lights and love them. they have a swithch on the light if you want to turn them off while the talegate is down. If you leave thim on, they go on and off with the lower and lift of the gate. I have a bed cover and it lights my bed up well. I am going to try to post pix.I ran the power wire from my amp on the back wall of mycab and ground it through the trailer light hook up ground.

[IMG]DSC_0098w[/IMG]
[IMG]DSC_0107w[/IMG]
You have to upload the pictures to a website like Photobucket.com then copy and paste the [IMG] code to the forums.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Jwool15
I am also very interested in doing some sort of under the rail set up for bed lighting. I looked at the recon's, and just like all the rest of their products they're a bit pricey. I really wanted some of their new LED tail lights but at $200 I changed my mind lol. There has to be a cheaper solution to some sort of bed lighting. I also want to install some sort of lighting in my interior like in a bunch of the new sports and luxury cars. I know my buddys brand new jetta has some red accent lighting which is pretty cool I think. It's not too bright at all but It definitely makes a difference and looks pretty sweet. I still need to do my dome and map lights. I'm a little behind on my LED technology so it's time to catch up!
Interior is easy...LED flex strips from Oznium...flexible and waterproof...about 12 bucks a piece. I have blue under my dash and behind front seats for the rear passengers.

Quick Reply: recon bed lights