2004 - 2008 F-150

? about tinting fogs

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010 | 07:02 PM
|
? about tinting fogs

Is there a How-to on this? I am interested and just wondering how people are going about tinting their fog lights

Old 01-12-2010 | 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by F150 Man 4Eva
Is there a How-to on this? I am interested and just wondering how people are going about tinting their fog lights
i honestly dont think people are tinting their fog lights. IMO i think it would look retarded but then again its my opinion dont get mad. Plus it will cut down your ability to see when you do need them.

Old 01-12-2010 | 07:26 PM
|
Yea, its cool. To each his own. People are definitely doing it though. Its more so for the Black Out look, or if you have the black (HD) head lights. It blends in better. I do like the added visabilitly that fogs provide, therefore I don't want them tinted dark...just a little bit to knock down the chrome shine. My fogs probably "bling" more than anything on my truck. It will also help hide this damn moisture that comes and goes on the inside of my lens

Old 01-12-2010 | 07:35 PM
I think you have a couple options. Some people have opened them up and painted the inside reflector. There are vinyl kits out with different shades of tint. You could also niteshade them as well, not sure on the durability. You can do a search on any of these methods and get a few examples.

Old 01-14-2010 | 07:25 PM
|
bump

Old 01-14-2010 | 07:40 PM
First off, they don't hardly add any extra visibility, IMO they're pretty much ornamental in stock form (round-version, I have no experience with the 04-05). That being said, tinting them just seems dumb, don't bother with it. Doesn't PIAA make some fog lamps that appear black when turned off?

Old 01-14-2010 | 10:09 PM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by SoonerTruck
First off, they don't hardly add any extra visibility, IMO they're pretty much ornamental in stock form (round-version, I have no experience with the 04-05). That being said, tinting them just seems dumb, don't bother with it. Doesn't PIAA make some fog lamps that appear black when turned off?
Maybe yours don't work that well, because mine offer a field of visibility that the headlights don't get. They light up right in front of the truck and out to the sides a bit. If you drive down pitch black roads full of deer you will appreciate them.

I've contemplated tinting mine just a hair since I have HIDs. The bulbs are uncovered and are extremely blinding to oncoming drivers, so I've stopped using them unless it's absolutely terrible weather. Tinting them slightly would still give output but would prevent the blinding issue for others. If I did it I'd pull them out and use VHT. Same method as tail lights.

Old 01-15-2010 | 12:29 AM
Have you thought about just painting the housing instead of tinting? You get a darker look and they are still functional.

BEFORE

AFTER

Old 01-15-2010 | 01:32 AM
Technical Article Contributor

King of the Ranch did this on his 2005 KR. He doesn't frequent here anymore, but it looked pretty darn good.

basically follow the same procedure to paint your fogs as the DIY Headlight procedure.

it does look good though
You sure you have them turned on? pull the switch out to turn 'em on

the fogs on my old FX4 (round ones) and my current Expy are bright. I've driven at night with them several times by accident. You have to turn off the headlights when coming onto base...and I don't notice the heads are still off when I drive off because the fogs are doing a good enough job

Old 01-15-2010 | 02:41 AM
IMO the vinyl smoke tint is perfect for the fogs.

it deteriorates (turns brownish) after a year or so due to halogen bulbs being so hot, but when that happens, just peel it off and put some more on. plus it helps protect the fogs from chipping/cracking

Old 01-15-2010 | 09:53 AM
Lol, I'm sure I have them turned on. I have sat in one spot and stared at the beams with them on/off. I estimate that the light pattern was visible up to approximately 3 feet in front of the hood, plus the lighting on the sides about the same disance from the corners of the truck. (Basically think of a 3ft arc of additional light directly in front of the truck extending to the fenders).

Can you avoid a deer that comes into view of the fog lights at 40mph, 50mph, 65mph? I can't. I have great reaction time IMO, but I can't avoid a deer that comes into view from the light of the fog lights. Hell if you want to see all of that light, turn the headlights off, then run the parking lights and fog lights. I wouldn't drive over 25mph relying on those. They won't help you spot a deer on the side of the road until it's time to brace for impact.

I don't mean to derail the thread, I'm just stating that in my estimation, the fog lights aren't that great in fog, and don't help in other visibility enough to be of much use. You want to spot deer, get some off-road lights. Want to see better in fog, get some amber-colored high-power fog lights.

Continue on with the housing painting. . .

Old 01-16-2010 | 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by mblouir
Maybe yours don't work that well, because mine offer a field of visibility that the headlights don't get. They light up right in front of the truck and out to the sides a bit. If you drive down pitch black roads full of deer you will appreciate them.

I've contemplated tinting mine just a hair since I have HIDs. The bulbs are uncovered and are extremely blinding to oncoming drivers, so I've stopped using them unless it's absolutely terrible weather. Tinting them slightly would still give output but would prevent the blinding issue for others. If I did it I'd pull them out and use VHT. Same method as tail lights.
since you have hids you could niteshade the bottom half of them slightly then tape it off and niteshade the top half very dark. that would probably make sort of a cut off effect.

Last edited by dilloncawthon; 01-16-2010 at 09:39 PM.
Old 01-16-2010 | 09:52 PM
Truck of the Month
I estimate that the light pattern was visible up to approximately 3 feet in front of the hood
You should get those checked out, then. Mine go a lot farther. Like someone else mentioned, I've also accidentally driven quite a ways around town before realizing I only had the fogs on.

Can you avoid a deer that comes into view of the fog lights at 40mph, 50mph, 65mph? I can't. I have great reaction time IMO, but I can't avoid a deer that comes into view from the light of the fog lights. Hell if you want to see all of that light, turn the headlights off, then run the parking lights and fog lights. I wouldn't drive over 25mph relying on those. They won't help you spot a deer on the side of the road until it's time to brace for impact.
Good point. How about another example? I live on a college campus, where people tend to cross the street all the time, be it a lit road or a dark alley. I like to have more visibility to see people in case I need to stop. I once had a chick walk out in front of me while I was going about twenty downtown. She didn't even stop to look. I slammed the brakes. Didn't hit her, but when I stopped she had her hand on my hood....

Originally Posted by dilloncawthon
since you have hids you could niteshade the bottom half of them slightly then tape it off and niteshade the top half very dark. that would probably make sort of a cut off effect.
That's not a bad idea, thanks man!

Quick Reply: ? about tinting fogs