2004 - 2008 F-150

Hella LED Taillight Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010 | 05:16 PM
|
Hella LED Taillight Issues

I have the Hella Tails and Third Brake light on my truck and they are having some issues. The right taillight works fine. The left one works but the turn signal is blinking fast like their is a bulb out but there isn't one out. The third brake light also has only 6 out of the 10 LED's working. Also, when the turn signal started blinking fast, which was a few days ago, the cruise control started acting wacky. Sometimes it didn't work at all, sometimes it worked perfectly fine, sometimes it would set for a little bit then **** itself off.

It's definitely the lights too because I put everything back to stock and everything works perfect.

Not too happy about this, they have only been on the truck since the middle of august, so about 6 months. I bought them new from amazon. Called them, they said no warranty. I e-mailed Hella and I guess i'll wait for them to get back to me. I have a feeling that the Ohio winters with the cold, salt and snow had something to do with this.

Anyone else with these tails have any issues?

Old 01-14-2010 | 06:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor

I think johnnyD has a set of hella tails on his truck and he's just down in Wadsworth. He's had his for a couple years I think. You may have just gotten a bad set.

Old 01-14-2010 | 06:44 PM
Stompy, I have an 05 with the exact same problems, my CC shuts down if I put the left blinker on, since the day I installed them I have had this issue, please post if you hear back from Hella about it.

Old 01-14-2010 | 11:15 PM
|
Does it blink fast too?

Old 01-15-2010 | 12:10 AM
Yea it blinks fast like there's a light out. but there is no light out. Love the lights and the looks so I've dealt with it

Old 01-15-2010 | 01:36 AM
Technical Article Contributor

I have had these on my truck for over a year, no issues.

Old 01-16-2010 | 12:44 AM
I bought these Hella's. Same problem-rapid blink on right side. Complete waste of money and honestly they didn't look so great either.

Old 01-16-2010 | 04:00 AM
The metal box that has a clip is what is bad. It does some kind of conversion becuase of the reduction in power draw the truck will think the bulb is burned and it creates the fast blink. You will see a fast blink on the gauge panel indicating a bad bulb.

I have not had any issues with mine and I purchased direct from Hella. I love the look. It makes the truck seem more modern.

Old 01-16-2010 | 09:55 PM
My hella third brake light had half of the light go out so I unplugged and fiddled with it and got it working again. Then it did the samething again, so I left it alone. Now it is completely out. Hmmm May just look into another aftermarket light.

Old 01-16-2010 | 11:28 PM
I had the same problem until i turned around the clip, remember, black to black, mine were switched around and the leds plug in like a standard bulb would in the same harnass. Just something to check, good luck with it! I have no idea what brand leds I have, got them off ebay but I know the original lights I purchased had the same problem before they were even sent to me from the seller, they recognized the problem during an inspection and I had to wait a few extra weeks to get them.

Quick Reply: Hella LED Taillight Issues