2004 - 2008 F-150

Bad shake in the rear at 50 - 55 mph - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010 | 02:28 AM
Thanks for the link.

Old 02-09-2010 | 12:41 PM
|
Originally Posted by conanman1
I have a 2005 supercab @ 53k miles / 4wd / 4.6 V8 / stock steel wheels with a set of cheap *** tires and have the vibration at 52 - 55 mph. Seems almost perfectly smooth at other speeds. I tried replacing the original rear shocks with Monroe sensa-trac's and also loosening up the e-brakes a few notches, but no real change.

I am going to replace the front shocks soon and see if that helps at all.
See link for frame damper kit:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/ti...sb08-24-02.pdf

My Monroe Sensa-tracs came in today. I'm going to install those & see if that helps.

Old 01-08-2011 | 01:44 PM
Not to dig up a year old thread, but I figured using the search function is better than creating another thread with the same exact thing. Anyway, I'm having this same issue at exactly 52mph. However, it only started when I went from stock 235/70-17 Hankooks to 245/70-17 Firestone destination A/T's.

Do I need this Dampener kit, or is it likely just the more aggressive tire / 1/2" larger size?

It is pretty annoying.

Old 07-20-2011 | 08:28 AM
|
Holy Dead Thread Resurrection Batman!

J/K

I just wanted to follow-up with everyone. I got new Brake Performance Rotors on the rear of my truck and the vibration is gone. Then I realized how bad of a vibration I had when I was coming to a stop. Had new rotors put on the front.

I know this sounds stupid, but the whole truck just drives better now. So have your rotors checked if this is still giving you problems.

Old 07-20-2011 | 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Ford started installing the kits with the 08 year model.
My '07 Flareside Scab has the big chunk of cast iron bolted to the top of the left side frame rail above the rear shackle in two rubber bushed fastenings, that is the frame damper kit and it looks like Ford was installing them by June 2007. Mine has never shown shake at speed. Smooth as silk.

My tires are well balanced and the rotors have never shown any tendency to cause brake shake either .... but then 31 years as a trooper and all them classes and chases and etc has taught me to go easy on the brakes. If abused in the chase, they likely aren't there at the end. It is habit.

Last edited by tbear853; 07-09-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-29-2011 | 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
Not to dig up a year old thread, but I figured using the search function is better than creating another thread with the same exact thing. Anyway, I'm having this same issue at exactly 52mph. However, it only started when I went from stock 235/70-17 Hankooks to 245/70-17 Firestone destination A/T's.

Do I need this Dampener kit, or is it likely just the more aggressive tire / 1/2" larger size?

It is pretty annoying.

ahah.. same here.. i just searched for this cuase im getting tired of it!. ahha.. its the truck.. im on my 3rd set of tires .. first 2.. bfg's now i'm on goodyears and still does it.. i got the rancho quick lift and 9000 in the back....all new rack and pinion.. imean the front is new, all been aliginged and balanced..... its the truck...

i'm gonna look at that kit..... mine is passenger side... sucker hops

Old 12-30-2011 | 12:41 AM
I am a newbie but have you tried putting weight in the box or running slightly lower tyre pressures, it sounds like after the weight re-distribution it is running almost topped out on the springs and does not have enough weight to load the dampers and offer rebound damping when you roll off of a bump. You may need to let the side wall of the tyre do a little more work by running lower pressures when you are not carrying a payload.

Just an idea to try,
Pete

Old 01-01-2012 | 09:44 PM
my '05 FX4 screw started doing this after less than 5k miles. all the crap with tire balance and such had no effect. It had the 48-55 mph bounce and you could see the sides of the bed going in and out at that speed. also at lower speeds when going over bumps it felt like the truck was bouncing to the right. Having a lot of experience with drivetrain engineering I told the dealer to check driveline angles and what do you know. they were way off..like more than 15 deg of uncorrected angle. so the dealer bought an aftermarket shim kit, installed it and all the troubles went away. seems like the brackets on the rear axle weren't welded in the correct position.

Quick Reply: Bad shake in the rear at 50 - 55 mph - HELP!