2004 - 2008 F-150

Power window on pass. side dead!

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010 | 07:35 PM
|
Power window on pass. side dead!

Its an 05 Screw Lariat. The window was up and down just fine yesterday. Today-nothing. It failed without warning and neither of the switches will operate it. Any thoughts? A new motor is 50 bucks. Should I just assume that's what it needs?

Old 02-12-2010 | 08:38 PM
Possibly the motor,Do you have a volt meter to test it with? If you need a motor I have a couple of good used ones Pm if you need 1

Old 02-12-2010 | 09:40 PM
It could be a switch failure. You won't be able to use the drivers side for testing as inside a box with other switches all together. If you have a buddy, you can borrow his for 5 min to test. You can remove it and try to clean it and visual inspect it.
Buy parts cheaper here

Old 02-13-2010 | 10:21 AM
Most likely it is a switch. I've had this happen to both front windows already. In both cases it worked one minute, and failed the next. No noise whatsoever- just quit.

Old 02-13-2010 | 10:39 AM
|
I hope its the switch! Dealer part? Salvage? Parts store? Where'd you get your replacement?

Old 02-13-2010 | 10:43 AM
motor for sure try a salvage yard its worth the savings at least to me.good luck

Old 02-13-2010 | 05:52 PM
you can pull the switches and clean the points takes all of ten minutes but since neither switch works its the motor or possibly fuse, wire thats come off

Old 02-13-2010 | 08:58 PM
|
I checked my book for a fuse but didn't see one for the pass. window. Did I miss it? If so, which one is it?

Old 02-15-2010 | 06:40 PM
|
Update!!

I started with the pass. switch, took it apart cleaned it-window wont go down.
I took the motor/reg. assembly out, inspected it, tested it with dc power-works perfectly.

Next I tested for power at the plug that goes into the window motor, using the pass. switch-my tester lights up both ways, up and down.

I also tested for power at the plug while I actuated the master switch on the driver's side for the pass. window-strangely, the test light lights up only for the down direction.

I bought a new pass. switch-the assembly will still not go down.

I bought a new assembly-it does the same thing, it goes up no problem, wont go down.

Took the new assembly back, that is not the problem.

What else could it be? The dealership wants 100 bucks just to look at it!!
I've got to figure this out, I'll be damned if Im', gonna pay them that kind of money! After all it's just a freakin window!

help

Old 02-16-2010 | 06:05 PM
|
I tried a new master switch today and that didnt work either!

Old 02-17-2010 | 04:56 PM
ive got a similar problem. My window will go up and down. it just goes really really really slow

Old 02-18-2010 | 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by TICKINGTIMEBOMB
I took the motor/reg. assembly out, inspected it, tested it with dc power-works perfectly.

Next I tested for power at the plug that goes into the window motor, using the pass. switch-my tester lights up both ways, up and down.

I also tested for power at the plug while I actuated the master switch on the driver's side for the pass. window-strangely, the test light lights up only for the down direction.
How did you power the window motor when it was outside? Did you have a full 12 volts?

You say your tester "lights up"... is it just a bulb tester? Maybe you aren't getting the full voltage at the connector? Get a multimeter and check that.

I'm thinking maybe the switch is going bad and has a high resistance, thereby reducing the voltage so far that it can't power the motor (but you see a light on your tester)

Old 02-19-2010 | 01:42 PM
|
I found the problem. Broken wire from master to pass. window. What a pain in the ***!

Old 02-19-2010 | 01:47 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by johnbaughman85
ive got a similar problem. My window will go up and down. it just goes really really really slow
Mine does this exact thing. I'm afriad to take the door panel apart and find something messed up. It's my passanger window that does it, it goes fast at first then slow in the middle then fast again. My driver side window doesn't move to quick either, but its all the same speed.

Old 02-19-2010 | 06:16 PM
Truck of the Month
This reminds me to look into mine. My passenger side window will roll up with the driver's switch, but not the passenger's. My mechanic said they are known to go bad now and then, so we will see.

Quick Reply: Power window on pass. side dead!