2004 - 2008 F-150

When it rains, it pours

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010 | 07:00 PM
|
Thumbs down When it rains, it pours

Well this week has been crappy for me in terms of automotive equipment. I had brake failure after just 2 years of use on my drivers side front and where I was unable to attend to the grinding sounds, my rotor was toast. Plus I need 4 new shocks and I have been having a nagging miss from a coil going bad when I go up slight hills in OD.

So to fix this *****, I just bought a pair of Powerslot Cryo rotors with Hawk LTS pads. I also just dropped the cash for Bilstein 5100's to fix the bouncy truck bed syndrome as well as kidney busting jarring when I hit pit holes. But the real incentive to get the shocks fixed is when my 1 yr old is sleeping, her face giggles as I go down the road from the bad shocks.

As for the coil replacement? I had a member here direct me to uneek@ebay. When I looked at buying new coils about a year ago no one had them online except for the Motorcraft stuff when I could only get for selling my unborn child to get. But I am glad uneek finally is carrying them. So that should hopefully get rid of my damn miss that has been bugging my wife.

Hopefully $1000 bucks later I will have a excellent vehicle again.

I am going to have to remember to get a front end alignment immediately as I am taking out my 2.5" spacer and just going to use the shocks for the leveling. I should still have the room for my 305/65/18 BFG AT KO2's.

Old 04-11-2010 | 07:09 PM
Truck of the Month
Well, brakes/rotors and shocks are wear items. Good you replaced them.

Hopefully the coils fix your miss problem. Seems like a few members have problems there for some reason.

Old 04-11-2010 | 07:23 PM
|
I have my daughters first bday party this coming Saturday so I am going to have to be done by then as the 12 pack in the fridge will have to be gone.

Old 04-11-2010 | 08:17 PM
You'll like the Bilsteins, but they did not cure my bed bounce at all. Pretty sure its in the tires. I've heard some say it cured it, some say they don't.

Old 04-11-2010 | 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by UofKboy
You'll like the Bilsteins, but they did not cure my bed bounce at all. Pretty sure its in the tires. I've heard some say it cured it, some say they don't.
yeah if you haven't rotated your tires in awhile i would. it made my bed bounce completely go away.

Old 04-12-2010 | 06:32 PM
|
My BFG's only have 7k miles on them and the bed bounce was there before I switched tires.

Old 04-12-2010 | 06:33 PM
|
On a side note, the COPS and rotors should be here by the end of the week. I am more interested in getting the COPS on than anything to see if it fixes the miss.

Old 04-12-2010 | 06:49 PM
I had the bed bounce before and after my Bilstein 5100. Lower the PSI in your rear tires and you'll see most, if not all of the harshness go away. I like more PSI in the front, and will add more air to the rear tires if towing or hauling. I really liked the Bilsteins when I had them...

Old 04-18-2010 | 05:56 PM
|
Well the rotors were backordered. Should be here next week.

My rear shocks were like marshmellows. I could easily squeeze them and they would slowly come back out. I am sure the fronts are the same way.

On a side note, I found the root cause of my brake failure. Stuck caliper. Sheeze. I got one from AdvancedAuto today and a cheap pair of brakes to get me to next weekend when I can get everything changed out. What really perterbs me is when I was draining the brake fluid out of the caliper, it was clear and then just went black. I wonder how that happened? Did it get too hot or something?

Old 04-18-2010 | 06:07 PM
Wow -- it sounds as if you've had a real "turd" of a week......

Old 04-18-2010 | 08:23 PM
|
Well the new Bilstein shocks for the rear really make a difference. I drove across train track after I got everything back together and I barely felt a bump. I am stoked on trying to get the front ones on and take off my 2.5" spacer.

Old 04-25-2010 | 10:11 AM
|
New Powerslot Cryo's and Hawk LTS pads are on. Holy moley I couldn't believe how much thickness I had lost off my original rotors when I installed these things. I had to completely press the calipers in and they still drug for a day or two. But on the original rotors and Carquest Blues I had already used up about 60% of the stroke on the acuators. It made my brakes squishy too but not anymore.

Old 04-25-2010 | 12:11 PM
"I'll take potpourri for $1000, Alex"

sorry, had to comment on your handle; great sketch

Old 04-25-2010 | 04:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Youll love the Hawk LTS pads...I have run them for 8K miles or so and love them....not really any signes of wear and stop on a dime...minimal noise and very little dust...I also run Powerslot slotted rotors

Old 04-25-2010 | 05:42 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Don't know if you did your shocks yet..........but if not...........you may want to pick up a set of tie rod ends and replace while you have your front end apart (and will be doing an alignment).

You can pick up a set of Moogs at O'Reily's for about $40 each I think.

Just a thought......... I replaced mine while doing my Bilsteins up front and was glad I did.

Quick Reply: When it rains, it pours