2004 - 2008 F-150

HELP! Hose stuck down dipstick tube!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010 | 09:58 PM
MDK
|
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well now I will since I have a heated garage, jack, jack stands, creeper and all the tools at my disposal. I used to live on a 3rd floor apartment and a crappy parking lot downstairs. At least I changed the fuel filter before I jacked everything else up.

Old 04-11-2010 | 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by W.L.B
Wait a minute...

You drained the oil out, then realized you were on an incline, so you pulled the suction tube out, started your truck with no oil in it and moved it into the garage? Then you tried to suck more oil out and put the tube back in to realize that no more oil was in the truck. Then you tried to take it out and it was stuck?
Interesting, the engine may have used the plastic tube as oil? Is that bad?

Old 04-11-2010 | 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by MDK
I started taking of the pan but there was a crossmember in the way so I just said screw it and put it all back in. Going to tow it to Ford tomorrow and just bite the bullet. Hopefully it's just takes getting the pan off, taking out the hose and nothing else was damaged. I just can't win! My Cobra is broke, both my motorcycles are broke and now the truck is jacked.

Work harder and longer...to pay someone to fix your stuff.

Old 04-11-2010 | 10:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This may be a stupid idea but try pushing it in there all the way and see if it goes to the bottom of the pan and try to fish it out

Old 04-11-2010 | 10:28 PM
MDK
|
Originally Posted by HKnFORD
Work harder and longer...to pay someone to fix your stuff.
don't even get me started. All the work that's been done has been done by professionals but then something else pops up. "Oh, that noise you hear, yeah you need a brand new rear end for the Cobra". I've spent over $5K in "repairs" last month trying to get my toys back together again but every time it's done something else pops up. I drive a mile and fart then it ends of being a new transmission or something. The only vehicle that worked right now has to be towed a hr for a dealer to just do it right. Probably tell me I blew my motor because of it or some **** like that, just my luck.

I'm still trying to figure out what it could have gotten stuck on with the motor off?

Last edited by MDK; 04-11-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-12-2010 | 12:47 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
SInce it's already jacked up, try bending a piece of COPPER wire into a little "J" shape that will fit into the plastic tube. Feed the wire into the tube until it hooks the end of the tube. Yank on the wire and the tube at the same time, it might break it loose.
If this works then bolt it back together, fill her with oil, and then:
1 TAKE THE WIRE, TUBE, and PUMP TO THE CLOSEST TRASH CAN FOR PROPER STORAGE.
2 GO INTO THE HOUSE LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND WITH THE MEANEST FACE YOU CAN MAKE, SHAKE YOUR FINGER AT THE REFLECTION AND REPEAT: NEVER NEVER NEVER PUT SOMETHING IN A HOLE THAT DOESN'T BELONG THERE!

If it doesn't work it still has to go to the shop so you are only out the effort.
Hope it works out for ya and sorry-I couldn't resist.

Old 04-12-2010 | 12:56 AM
Originally Posted by jgger
SInce it's already jacked up, try bending a piece of COPPER wire into a little "J" shape that will fit into the plastic tube. Feed the wire into the tube until it hooks the end of the tube. Yank on the wire and the tube at the same time, it might break it loose.
If this works then bolt it back together, fill her with oil, and then:
1 TAKE THE WIRE, TUBE, and PUMP TO THE CLOSEST TRASH CAN FOR PROPER STORAGE.
2 GO INTO THE HOUSE LOOK IN THE MIRROR AND WITH THE MEANEST FACE YOU CAN MAKE, SHAKE YOUR FINGER AT THE REFLECTION AND REPEAT: NEVER NEVER NEVER PUT SOMETHING IN A HOLE THAT DOESN'T BELONG THERE!

If it doesn't work it still has to go to the shop so you are only out the effort.
Hope it works out for ya and sorry-I couldn't resist.
Thats not speaking from experience is it...

Old 04-12-2010 | 01:19 AM
They use these machines all the time at the german repair shops, pretty common to get the tube stuck.

I'd just unbolt the dipstick and tug it out.

Old 04-12-2010 | 01:52 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thats not speaking from experience is it...
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm-NO!

Old 04-12-2010 | 11:13 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you tried twisting the tube whilst gently pulling on it? Those plastic tubes generally have a curvature to them. That might have caused it to curve into something in the pan - catching it. Just a thought.

Old 04-12-2010 | 12:19 PM
wow... if only they put a simple drain bolt at the bottom of the oil pan... all this pain could have been avoided.

Oh... wait...

(sorry to beat a dead horse... couldn't resist...)

Old 04-12-2010 | 02:17 PM
So have you gotten it out yet? Or has the dealer came to a conclusion?

Old 04-12-2010 | 02:27 PM
Fill the motor with oil again and then you need to start melting the tube with a long hot wire With the motor running. this way the plastic tube will return to it's petrolium based product and mix with the oil. you will just need another tube to do an oil change again because you don't want that oil in the pan.

Hope this helps

Old 04-12-2010 | 06:54 PM
The cut end of the dipstick tube is rather rough inside the pan. I am guessing that the plastic tube is catching on the sharp edge in the reverse direction, as in pulling it out. There is no reason to suggest that the tube has melted...that would be the poorest product I have ever seen. Unbolt the tube from the side of the block and just pull it out. I must say that I have never changed oil this way nor have even heard of this method. Strange.

Old 04-12-2010 | 07:11 PM
MDK
|
$375 later from Ford and she's done. I guess there's another pan in there for the oil pump or something (wife picked it up so info was limited) and it was caught on this. Nothing was damaged internally so I guess that's $110/hr labor, oil and filter change and new gasket. I wrote a email to Griot's Garage where I bought it to ask how this could have happened so I'll wait for that response. Learned my lesson and never again!

Quick Reply: HELP! Hose stuck down dipstick tube!