2004 - 2008 F-150

New Vibration in Floor

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010 | 06:48 PM
|
New Vibration in Floor

Hey guys, looking for a little help. In the last few days I've started to feel a vibration in my floor boards beneath my left foot on the drivers side. It almost feels like something tapping on the bottom of the floor panel? The thing that is driving me nuts is I can't find the source. I've crawled under the truck and cannot find anything loose, I had thought originally that it might be a heat shield around the cats coming loose, but everything looks good under there? I also jacked up the front and checked the ball joints and tie rod ends and everything still seems to be good and tight, trucks only got 55,000mi on it. I'm just wondering if anyone else has had this and what the cause was....I'm stumped?

Old 04-20-2010 | 08:06 PM
Since I've owned my truck, I can feel a vibration in the floor when the windshield wipers are on! Something about the rhythm of the wipers or when the wipers have reached full travel, I can feel it. But I can feel this "tapping" deal with my left foot as well.

But the only way to really diagnose the problem is to try to replicate it or the conditions when you first feel it. That way you can isolate it, like when the wipers are on, only on left turns, over bumpy roads, when applying the brakes, etc.

Got any more info?

Old 04-20-2010 | 08:42 PM
|
Originally Posted by StoveTop
Since I've owned my truck, I can feel a vibration in the floor when the windshield wipers are on! Something about the rhythm of the wipers or when the wipers have reached full travel, I can feel it. But I can feel this "tapping" deal with my left foot as well.

But the only way to really diagnose the problem is to try to replicate it or the conditions when you first feel it. That way you can isolate it, like when the wipers are on, only on left turns, over bumpy roads, when applying the brakes, etc.

Got any more info?
Yes, it does it just driving down the road, doesn't matter if I am hitting bumps or not. It isn't very harsh. actually it is pretty light, but I never noticed it before? Other than this issue, the truck is running and driving good? There is one thing though I don't think it's related, my abs light came on this past winter, I think it's the rear speed sensor, but I haven't gotten around to looking at it. Oh yeah, in case it maters, it's a 2004 Supercab FX4 with the 5.4L. Thanks

Old 04-21-2010 | 05:27 PM
If it were me, I'd check the following:
- Spare tire to see if it is secured tightly
- Broken exhaust hangers
- bj's and tie rod ends for play
- Turn off the radio
- Bust off wheels and check rotors, calipers and bearings

Also do you HEAR anything, or do you just feel it in floor boards? It's kind of funny because it's been raining pretty hard here and I've had my wipers on while driving to work. I could "feel" the wipers in both the pedals and floor board...pretty crazy.

I really thought you'd get more responses so at least this will bump it to the top.

Quick Reply: New Vibration in Floor