2004 - 2008 F-150

2008 Fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just remember that gasoline also keeps the fuel pump cool! ive had to remind myself of that all the time because i have had a bad habit of running it really low...dont want to be replacing fuel pumps!!

Old 05-22-2011, 07:05 PM
Fuel Tank

I have now had this truck for over a year now, and still dont think its a 30 gallon tank. All the information that I have found says its a 30 gallon tank, but I have never been able to put in more than 24 gallons, and I driven with the low fuel light on for at least 20 miles. It isnt a huge issue, but it still bugs me, I know I dont want to be pushing the truck to a gas station.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:24 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
najerry, when the low fuel light comes on, the truck estimates 50 miles to empty. I have a Lariat which counts down the mileage to empty and have driven to 0 a few times. I have fit as much as 27 gallons in at a fillup. The last few gallons aren't what I'd rely on, but even at 0 miles left to empty it never stumbled or cut-out like it was low on fuel.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by SoonerTruck
The low-fuel light and the gas gauge are calibrated to make you think you have less gas than you really do. It's a safegaurd to keep you from running the tank (and the fuel pump) dry. The display in my Lariat always says "50 miles to E"when the low fuel light is triggered.
exactly. running cars low on fuel is not good for them i run mine till the light comes on (50 miles to empty) then fill it and i usually put in 22 or 23 gallons.

you have to remember though that the distance to empty is calculated off your mpg, so the worse mpg your getting, it will tell you your empty sooner than if you were on the highway. the fuel light comes on whenever it gets to 50 miles to empty, not when it has a certain amount of fuel left. no idea how it judges that on xlts and the like with no distance to empty thingy.

also, the gauge is pretty accurate, when the light comes on im usually at like an 1/8th of a tank IIRC.

i have a screw 5.5 foot bed with the 30 gallon tank by the way. i have my window sticker.

top gear even did a special, they drove 700 miles, jeremy clarkson was in a twin turbo jag that he knew wasnt going to make it, and it made it all the way there. the other 2 guys drove little hatchaback diesels, and they made it too. all of their trip computers said 0 miles to empty for a long time.

hell in my 01 grand cherokee i had, i could run it 20-30 more miles after it said 0 miles to empty, and it wasnt sputtering or anything.

Last edited by fivespeedsteed; 05-23-2011 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by najerry
I have now had this truck for over a year now, and still dont think its a 30 gallon tank. All the information that I have found says its a 30 gallon tank, but I have never been able to put in more than 24 gallons, and I driven with the low fuel light on for at least 20 miles. It isnt a huge issue, but it still bugs me, I know I dont want to be pushing the truck to a gas station.
exactly.it is a 30 gallon tank though. ford has always done this , ive tried to run my mustang super empty, and its hard to do.

fill a 5 gallon gas can and strap it into your bed. go drive until it starts sputtering. then pull over, and put all 5 gallons in it and get to the nearest gas station, and fill it. i guarantee it will take 25.1 gallons or something like that (because youve already put in 5)

not you in particular but if someone really didnt believe it, try it. that or run it down to 0 miles to empty then go fill it, it would probably take 25 gallons or so.

Last edited by fivespeedsteed; 05-23-2011 at 11:26 AM.

Quick Reply: 2008 Fuel Tank