2004 - 2008 F-150

Successful Plug change

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010 | 12:09 AM
|
It may. The problem I have with the top tier gas theory is that there are too many other variables that come into play. Humidity, gas condition, driving conditions, maintenance up keep, driving habits, earths tilt on its axis........

With all other things being equal I think you can rely on the gas type to keep those puppies clean. But they are not.

Old 08-10-2010 | 12:20 AM
Global Moderator &
Originally Posted by tim98
It may. The problem I have with the top tier gas theory is that there are too many other variables that come into play. Humidity, gas condition, driving conditions, maintenance up keep, driving habits, earths tilt on its axis........

With all other things being equal I think you can rely on the gas type to keep those puppies clean. But they are not.
I understand, but the conditions will be the same whether you are burning a Non Brand or one that claims to have a top cleaner in it. Here in Texas, I can buy Shell or Texaco for the same price as a No Brand at a funky convenience store that has tanks no telling how old and dirty. So I go with the Texaco or Shell and occasionally Conoco or QT. IAt least I have tried wetehr it helps or not. One of the odd things I noticed way back when I first got my truck, I consistently got poorer mileage with Exxon. I maintain a spreadsheet of every gas purchase and the mileage. I am not obessed with getting great mileage as every mod I have done has worsened my mileage. It's just something I keep out of curiosity plus it helps me keep an eye on maintenance needs.

Old 08-10-2010 | 06:43 PM
|
Originally Posted by Bluejay
I understand, but the conditions will be the same whether you are burning a Non Brand or one that claims to have a top cleaner in it. Here in Texas, I can buy Shell or Texaco for the same price as a No Brand at a funky convenience store that has tanks no telling how old and dirty. So I go with the Texaco or Shell and occasionally Conoco or QT. IAt least I have tried wetehr it helps or not. One of the odd things I noticed way back when I first got my truck, I consistently got poorer mileage with Exxon. I maintain a spreadsheet of every gas purchase and the mileage. I am not obessed with getting great mileage as every mod I have done has worsened my mileage. It's just something I keep out of curiosity plus it helps me keep an eye on maintenance needs.
Yea I get that but, but I meant people get obsessed with comparing each others situations with their own and thats when all those variables come into play. From one person to the next.

You keep a spread sheet? Thats pretty cool. Good for looking at data in the big picture. Again people get obsessed with comparing one tank fill up to the next. You seem to be one of the few people that understand that the more aftermarket mods you add the more your gas mileages go down.

Quick Reply: Successful Plug change