2004 - 2008 F-150

Spark Plug Lawsuit ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010 | 11:16 PM
Originally Posted by Tbird69
Good Lord.

Are we still beating this poor old dead horse around here?
Well we could all crawl under a rock and ignore it, pretend there isn't a problem here? Or we can continue to bring up the issue and try to push Ford for some assistance with it?

Your choice, your money out of your pocket when your plugs break, which by the way is pretty much unheard of on just about every other vehicle out there.

Old 09-14-2010 | 11:32 PM
Originally Posted by graphite675
Well we could all crawl under a rock and ignore it, pretend there isn't a problem here? Or we can continue to bring up the issue and try to push Ford for some assistance with it?

Your choice, your money out of your pocket when your plugs break, which by the way is pretty much unheard of on just about every other vehicle out there.

Pulled all of mine last year, not one broke. Replaced with the Champion one piece, don't have to worry about it again.

If you want to believe that one day Ford will cover any of the cost of a problem that's been fixed since 2007 that's up to you.

You gotta believe in something.

Old 09-14-2010 | 11:41 PM
07's and some 08's still have the old heads. Only late 08 builds got the revised heads. I started to trade last week for an 08. Ran the VIN thru parts. It was an early build with the same heads.

Old 09-15-2010 | 12:23 AM
If you want to believe that one day Ford will cover any of the cost of a problem that's been fixed since 2007 that's up to you.

I have no illusions that Ford would ever fix this issue. But if people stand up and push the issue maybe Ford will take notice and next time something like this comes up they may re-think there position on it?

Not trying to be an a$$ here but really, It's a internal combustion engine. How many years have they been around? General maintenance items, spark plugs, air filters, oil filters, etc. should be a no brainer and should be something any home mechanic can do with out worry.
A 50% success rate is not acceptable for something so routine.

Old 09-21-2010 | 10:29 PM
Ford should man up!!

I live near ford headquarters and would love to get the (shame on you) news guys on this... its bunk and ford really should man up!!!! i cant believe that i cant change the plugs without pulling my hair out and emptying my wallet out on such a standard maintenance

Old 09-22-2010 | 04:13 AM
Ford did their job. Yes, they had a pretty weak design, but they fixed this. They have provided engineering solutions and supporting documentation. They have designed tooling to aid in broken plug removal. They have provided practices, and improved them along the way, that allows for plugs to be removed again reduced chances for breakage. What more do you folks want?

The thing I find most interesting, is the extreme fear factor that exists with those who have only read about this problem. It's typically, not a huge deal. If you're reading this, you're more then likely aware of the 65 dollar Lisle extraction tool. With this or one of the other tool manufacturer's extraction tools, you can rather easily get the job done. Heck, I just changed my motorcraft plugs out on my 07 this past weekend. The whole job, including the TSB pre-soak, took 1.5 hours. No broken plugs. And yes, I broke 3 when I changed the factory plugs, but the extraction tool did it's job then.

So face reality folks, this typically, isn't a big deal.

Old 09-22-2010 | 06:08 AM
Im just going to work some overtime and bite the bullet and take it into the garage and just let um do it.

Old 09-22-2010 | 04:26 PM
Originally Posted by graphite675
Not trying to be an a$$ here but really, It's a internal combustion engine. How many years have they been around? General maintenance items, spark plugs, air filters, oil filters, etc. should be a no brainer and should be something any home mechanic can do with out worry.
A 50% success rate is not acceptable for something so routine.
So you think that we should be using the same old designs for years to come? No progress, no increase in efficiency, no increase in fuel economy or decrease yearly maintenance costs. Don't fear change brother!

Beside spark plugs can hardly be called "general" maintenance. You replace tires more often than your plugs.

Old 09-25-2010 | 09:17 PM
[QUOTE=svt2205;4345351]Ford did their job. Yes, they had a pretty weak design, but they fixed this. They have provided engineering solutions and supporting documentation. They have designed tooling to aid in broken plug removal. They have provided practices, and improved them along the way, that allows for plugs to be removed again reduced chances for breakage. What more do you folks want?

The thing I find most interesting, is the extreme fear factor that exists with those who have only read about this problem. It's typically, not a huge deal. If you're reading this, you're more then likely aware of the 65 dollar Lisle extraction tool. With this or one of the other tool manufacturer's extraction tools, you can rather easily get the job done. Heck, I just changed my motorcraft plugs out on my 07 this past weekend. The whole job, including the TSB pre-soak, took 1.5 hours. No broken plugs. And yes, I broke 3 when I changed the factory plugs, but the extraction tool did it's job then.

So face reality folks, this typically, isn't a big deal.

They fixed it for the new customersm LOL!! ( what more do I want) ??? A plug change were im not gambling on my daily driver that takes me to work..

Old 09-25-2010 | 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by tim98
So you think that we should be using the same old designs for years to come? No progress, no increase in efficiency, no increase in fuel economy or decrease yearly maintenance costs. Don't fear change brother!

Beside spark plugs can hardly be called "general" maintenance. You replace tires more often than your plugs.
my point is if they had told me at the dealership my plug change would cost anywhere from $250 to $1000 i would have walked!! i believe in change for sure.. but if it is a flaw and and their poor design then no i don't feel like its my problem they should man up and eat some cost like you said (its no big deal) The truck owners who do have the problem they should fix it at regular cost.. it is crazy that i can call ford dealership's around the united states and almost get a different price at everyone??? also not everyone can deal with it as well as you did.

Old 09-25-2010 | 09:44 PM
Truck of the Month
The dealership's service department didn't design the plug, the spark plug company (Honeywell iirc) did per Ford Motor Company's engineering design. You can't hold the dealership's service department liable for the cost of a plug change for that reason.

Old 09-25-2010 | 10:27 PM
|
Talking Thank you for your many posts.

Good Lord.

Are we still beating this poor old dead horse around here?
Not all of us are as smart as you.

We do , however , thank you for your 3,000 + posts of wisdom.

Old 09-25-2010 | 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth
The dealership's service department didn't design the plug, the spark plug company (Honeywell iirc) did per Ford Motor Company's engineering design. You can't hold the dealership's service department liable for the cost of a plug change for that reason.
Is called R&D.. And if they sell a product they need to stand behind it period!! so maybe ford with all the negativeness on this issue should hold Honeywell for this problem.. i should not have to deal with it...And if ford didn't think it was a big deal why did they change it?? why not just get a new spark plug design?

Old 09-25-2010 | 10:51 PM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by kboozy
Is called R&D.. And if they sell a product they need to stand behind it period!! so maybe ford with all the negativeness on this issue should hold Honeywell for this problem.. i should not have to deal with it...And if ford didn't think it was a big deal why did they change it?? why not just get a new spark plug design?
As much as you hate it, you have to deal with it. You own a truck that has plugs that might separate upon removal.

This really is a non issue now anyway. Ford has released TSB info and specified removal tools to make changing plugs simple. Most of the time plugs are replaced without a hitch. When there is a hitch the means of removal are there.

No more reason to fret, unless you're scared.

Old 09-26-2010 | 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by Fordoor
Not all of us are as smart as you.

We do , however , thank you for your 3,000 + posts of wisdom.
You're very welcome.

My wisdom comes from experience. If more people spent more time figuring out solutions to their problems instead of whining and complaining about the problem the world would be a much better place.

Quick Reply: Spark Plug Lawsuit ?