2004 - 2008 F-150

Oil on bottom of oil pan?? Leak??

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 10:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
Originally Posted by sam1947
I also have the oil around the inspection cover on the trans. Been told by the dealer, which by the way uses me very well, that Fords position on warranty oil leaks, it has to be actually dripping on the ground for the warranty to cover an oil leak Good Luck
Wrong.

Ford will cover the oil leak if they can successfully find the source of the leak. Generally if it isn't leaking on the ground, they will add a dye to the engine oil and use an ultraviolet light to see where it is initiating from. They will tell you to drive it and keep an eye on it. Once you see the oil, don't touch it, bring the truck into the dealer, and have them shine the light on it. That will find the root of the problem quickly.

2008_XL, ask your dealer to add dye to oil, and clean up the oil again. This way the fresh oil that is deposited will have the dye in it and it will be strong.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Wrong.

Ford will cover the oil leak if they can successfully find the source of the leak. Generally if it isn't leaking on the ground, they will add a dye to the engine oil and use an ultraviolet light to see where it is initiating from. They will tell you to drive it and keep an eye on it. Once you see the oil, don't touch it, bring the truck into the dealer, and have them shine the light on it. That will find the root of the problem quickly.

2008_XL, ask your dealer to add dye to oil, and clean up the oil again. This way the fresh oil that is deposited will have the dye in it and it will be strong.
Cool. I'll mention the dye to my guy at the dealer. I'm stopping by tomorrow or Friday so he can quickly take a look at it. Then, when I leave for tour in about a week and a half, I'll leave the truck with them while I'm gone. That should give them plenty of time to find the source of the leak and fix it.

Thanks dude!

P.s. where was your leak exactly?

Old 10-20-2010, 08:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
Cool. I'll mention the dye to my guy at the dealer. I'm stopping by tomorrow or Friday so he can quickly take a look at it. Then, when I leave for tour in about a week and a half, I'll leave the truck with them while I'm gone. That should give them plenty of time to find the source of the leak and fix it.

Thanks dude!

P.s. where was your leak exactly?
Yeah, it only takes two seconds to dye to oil and a minute or two to clean it. They didn't even bring it into the shop, they just added the dye and got a creeper and rolled under the truck with some shop rags and some cleaner and cleaned it quick.

My leak was coming from the driver's side head gasket. Right where the aluminum gets the felt seal to the cast iron block.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Wrong.

THANK YOU for the info ! I will approach the dealer with this again

Old 11-13-2010, 11:25 PM

Got the leak fixed under warranty.

Cause: Verified oil leaking from front crank seal, removed harmonic balancer, found severely grooved from faulty seal, installed seal and balancer.

Any idea what could have caused this?

Also on the invoice it says 6 ASLQT 5W30 synthetic. Why would a Ford dealer have put in 5W30 when the truck calls for 5W20? Also, will this oil hurt anything? I'm sure they're change it again at no change since it's their fault. Or, would I be fine to run this oil for the next 3k miles? FWIW, the truck made a short "zip" sound when I first cranked it over. Only did it the first time I started it at the dealer.

Thanks!

Last edited by 2008_XL; 11-13-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:29 AM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
5W-30 will be fine in the V-6. ASL is Amsoil and its true synthetic, not Group 3.

Old 11-14-2010, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by glc
5W-30 will be fine in the V-6. ASL is Amsoil and its true synthetic, not Group 3.
Thank you. Even in the colder months that oil should be ok?

Old 11-14-2010, 12:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I might add a few "food for thoughts" to the oil change interval debate. The debate that never ends and will probably be still going when the world comes to and end...

You are harming the environment by placing an increased (over two fold) demand on Oil, and right now as we sit with our demand on foreign sources you are inadvertently financing terrorists.

Use oil wisely. Use what you need to be safe but don't get ridiculous just because you think it "doesn't hurt anything" because with today's oil and today's situation it indeed DOES harm things to double up on oil changes.

Old 11-14-2010, 01:57 PM
glc
Thank you. Even in the colder months that oil should be ok?
Of course - it *IS* 5W.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:27 PM

Ok, cool. I suppose I figured 5W30 is obviously heavier and wouldn't be quite as good as 5W20 in the extreme cold. I'll be living in an area this winter that can drop to -20F. Not looking forward to it, as I lived in Florida last winter.

I'll call the dealer on Monday to find out why they used 5W30. I like they might have done it for a reason.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:00 PM
glc
5W is 5W at zero F.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by glc
5W is 5W at zero F.
Thank you. Dealer stated 5W30 is their winter blend synthetic.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:59 PM
Just Curious?

Originally Posted by cphilip
I might add a few "food for thoughts" to the oil change interval debate. The debate that never ends and will probably be still going when the world comes to and end...

You are harming the environment by placing an increased (over two fold) demand on Oil, and right now as we sit with our demand on foreign sources you are inadvertently financing terrorists.

Use oil wisely. Use what you need to be safe but don't get ridiculous just because you think it "doesn't hurt anything" because with today's oil and today's situation it indeed DOES harm things to double up on oil changes.
Just curious, how much oil does that 36ft. RV consume; I mean with the amount of gas it burns including oil changes and tire replacements etc.

I'm sure keeping that thing up is more of a burden on the environment than an extra oil change on his pickup.

Just curious is all.

Have a great day

Old 11-16-2010, 02:44 AM
glc
Thank you. Dealer stated 5W30 is their winter blend synthetic.
I wonder why they are not using the recommended 5w-20 year round?

Old 11-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Originally Posted by Nitrox
Just curious, how much oil does that 36ft. RV consume; I mean with the amount of gas it burns including oil changes and tire replacements etc.

I'm sure keeping that thing up is more of a burden on the environment than an extra oil change on his pickup.

Just curious is all.

Have a great day

It gets changes based upon its needs too. But it gets no more than it needs. It uses what it needs and gets used for its needs. No more, no less. It does its job with 10 mpg and takes 7 quarts every 5-6k miles just like your truck does. For me that ends up being once an year. And it gets similar mileage to the F350/TT rig I used to use for the same purpose.

Is that the point your trying to make that an RV is excessive for its purpose? That would be an entirely different topic. Whether or not someone should own an RV for Camping and Traveling.... heck... whether or not most of us should own a truck for hauling and towing when we do little of it most times is certainly a valid discussion but its an entirely different one. Does your truck actually serve as your car instead most of the time? Could you, or should I say should you, be using a smaller car for your purposes? I don't know. Use and need are, again, an entirely different discussion beyond sheer deliberate waste.

But when you use it, whatever "it" is, you give it just exactly what it needs to keep it healthy. And EVERY single bit of evidence shows you that a 3K mile changes is excessive. That's the least you can do because it is easy to do and it harms nothing. I am not advocating going to the ridiculous there.... just is an area we can all help out a little bit on. And pointing out that there is damage caused with that train of thought. Save here, and gain use there sort of thing. More oil saved in one place where it doesn't hurt anything is more oil we can use elsewhere to enjoy our trucks (RVs, Camper, little cars etc)

Thats the point I am trying to make.

Quick Reply: Oil on bottom of oil pan?? Leak??