2004 - 2008 F-150

Oil on bottom of oil pan?? Leak??

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 05:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oil on bottom of oil pan?? Leak??

The pics aren't the best, see below. Anyway, there is fresh oil all over the bottom of my oil pan. Even if I leave the truck parked for a couple days, there's still no drops on the ground. It appears the oil is only on the bottom half of the pan where it bolts to the top. Is the gasket leaking... Any ideas? How serious is this? I use full synthetic oil changed every 3k with a Motorcraft filter.

I'm still under warranty and the dealer is going to take a look next week. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Truck is a 2008 with the 4.2 V6 with 27k miles.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:06 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i would keep an eye on the dipstick level. i had a similar leak a few years ago. thought it was the rear main seal so i dropped the xmsn. easier to do that than pull the engine. when i got the xmsn down i saw that it was the oil pan gasket. on that truck it was necessary to pull the engine up. with the xmsn out i was able to do it. prior to pulling it apart when it was leaking i wouldnt lose any oil until i shut the truck down then it would puke a couple ounces out. could drive for hours and lose none. it will make a mess, a big mess.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bet someone left a little too much oil sitting on the plastic piece under the oil filter and when you drove off, it sprayed it back. Get under there with a mild degreaser (simple green), clean it off, and see if it comes back. You might save yourself a trip to the dealer. If you're anything like me, you want your vehicle in the dealer's hands the least amount of time possible (unless Quintin works there).

Old 10-14-2010, 07:05 PM

The dip stick level has always been just a hair under the max line. As I said, no oil on the driveway at all.

And, minus_13, I change my own oil so I don't think that would be the cause. But it could be. Seems the entire bottom half of the pan is covered in oil.

I'm going to have the dealer check it either way since I'm still under the bumper to bumper warranty.

Also, I'm not sure it's the gasket because theirs also oil up most of the front side of the pan.. maybe that's the crank case. I have no clue where it's coming from but it's been doing it a while and my dipstick readings are always normal.

Maybe it is from changing oil and it's just splashing back as I drive.. Either way, I'll get it checked to be safe since it's free.

Thanks guys. Anymore insight would be awesome.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:56 PM

I went under a few hours ago and cleaned it up pretty good. I'll give it a week or so to see if it returns. After a closer inspection, it doesn't appear to be coming from the gasket.. it was just all over the bottom of the pan. The left over oil from changes makes sense. Hopefully that is the case. If not, my warranty will cover it. If it is a leak, it's not enough of one to cause drips or change the dipstick level.

Thanks!

Old 10-15-2010, 12:04 AM
I bet it stays clean... If you were dropping that much oil, you'd know by now. Good luck!

Old 10-15-2010, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by minus_13
I bet it stays clean... If you were dropping that much oil, you'd know by now. Good luck!
Thank you. I appreciate it. Had it not been for you, I would have never thought of that.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:49 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
3K oil changes with full syn is overkill....

Old 10-15-2010, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by risupercrewman
3K oil changes with full syn is overkill....
Heard that a million times. It's not doing damage.

Old 10-16-2010, 05:38 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
Heard that a million times. It's not doing damage.
Oh yeah, ask your wallet?............

Old 10-16-2010, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by risupercrewman
Oh yeah, ask your wallet?............
I just spoke with my wallet. He told me it comes out to about $10 a month and he's fine with it.

Old 10-16-2010, 10:18 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Contributor
Received 260 Likes on 251 Posts
I'm thinking cleaning it with diluted engine degreaser and see if it is coming from the valve cover... or by then, you'll be able to trace it down. Check it after every drive.

I know, it sounds inconvienent, but it will indeed help find the problem.

I brought my shop creeper in the bed of the truck, and checked it after I drove every single time, until I was able to figure it out. Also, having a nice bright light helps under there too.

Old 10-19-2010, 05:57 PM

Well, the oil is back. I am thinking I have the exact same issue as you, Manual. I can see oil on the crank case and it's obviously coming from the top and dripping down. Only happens when I'm driving. When the truck is off, no leak. It's a very slow leak as my dipstick level has not changed (just drove 200 miles) and there's a very very thin layer of fresh oil on the pan and down the side of the crank case.

Thankfully I am still under warranty and the guy I've always worked with at my local dealer is awesome. He already assured me he knows how well I take care of my truck, that it wouldn't be my fault and they'll get it taken care of asap.

Thanks truck. Yet another issue.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:54 PM
Originally Posted by projetmech
i would keep an eye on the dipstick level. i had a similar leak a few years ago. thought it was the rear main seal so i dropped the xmsn. easier to do that than pull the engine. when i got the xmsn down i saw that it was the oil pan gasket. on that truck it was necessary to pull the engine up. with the xmsn out i was able to do it. prior to pulling it apart when it was leaking i wouldnt lose any oil until i shut the truck down then it would puke a couple ounces out. could drive for hours and lose none. it will make a mess, a big mess.
I've noticed some oil around the inspection cover on the trans. Do you think this could be a rear main seal?

Old 10-19-2010, 09:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dave_w
I've noticed some oil around the inspection cover on the trans. Do you think this could be a rear main seal?
I also have the oil around the inspection cover on the trans. Been told by the dealer, which by the way uses me very well, that Fords position on warranty oil leaks, it has to be actually dripping on the ground for the warranty to cover an oil leak Good Luck

Quick Reply: Oil on bottom of oil pan?? Leak??