2004 - 2008 F-150

How to: 04-08 OEM headlights FX-R Projector HID retrofit.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 12:49 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mblouir
Thanks, man. Credit should go to Steve (NCSU), though....he was the first to get retrofitted headlights in that style. I was just jealous.
Yes but his small shrouds look very odd in that large headlight and the halos only added attention to that IMO.
Your combo with the shrouds and the reflector look pretty slick.

Originally Posted by mSaLL150
Dang, looks like a lot of people are having issues with the rotational alignment. The best course of action for me was to bolt the reflector/housing to the truck, aim to a wall and hold the projector perfectly level while my friend put epoxy glue all over the back of the projector.
I noticed quite a few members posting about aiming issues.
That was one of the reasons i carefully drilled then tapped my four mounting holes.
In my pics i show my aiming with the clear headlight lens off.
the headlights were fully secured to the truck then i could move each mounting screw individually to fully adjust the projector as needed. Once i got it perfect i glued the lense on.
After everything cured my pass side was off in height only so i simply used the factory adjuster to level it out.

As a note i suggest getting the projector very flat and level against the reflector bowl. marking the holes then drilling two opposite corners and mounting it, then remarking the two remaining holes. it helps with the holes not being aligned.

Old 04-14-2011, 02:07 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Fabian06SC

That was one of the reasons i carefully drilled then tapped my four mounting holes.
the headlights were fully secured to the truck then i could move each mounting screw individually to fully adjust the projector as needed. Once i got it perfect i glued the lense on.
After everything cured my pass side was off in height only so i simply used the factory adjuster to level it out.

As a note i suggest getting the projector very flat and level against the reflector bowl. marking the holes then drilling two opposite corners and mounting it, then remarking the two remaining holes. it helps with the holes not being aligned.
that is a good idea. I need to redo mine one of these days, and i think i'll use that plan, thx

Old 04-14-2011, 03:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fabian06SC

I did mine the same way and had them perfect. The problem happened on mine was when i over clamped the clear lens, twisting the headlight housing. I would try the ratchet straps over the clamps, and not too tight.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:48 PM
Breaking open headlights: 2/10 I used ebay headlights, and they had some kind of glue that was SUPER easy to split/remove. 7 minutes in the over @ 240 degrees was all I needed, didn't have to put them back in or anything. 30 seconds to split them open
Don't listen to this....I followed this and my headlight was COMPLETELY melted.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by swiftvision
You must have a malfunctioning oven. 95% of the guys on here who do their headlights follow the guide (preheat to 250, turn it off, headlight in for 10 minutes) and have no problems. Mine turned out fine. Actually put each one in 2 times just so I could scrape out the old sealant.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:53 PM
What bolts did you guys use? My FX-R didn't come with any

Old 04-15-2011, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by mblouir
You must have a malfunctioning oven. 95% of the guys on here who do their headlights follow the guide (preheat to 250, turn it off, headlight in for 10 minutes) and have no problems. Mine turned out fine. Actually put each one in 2 times just so I could scrape out the old sealant.
Your method worked....putting them IN THE OVEN then turning it on...not so much.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:57 PM

What bolts did you guys use? My FX-R didn't come with any
I used the size mentioned in the OP. #8, 1-1/4" screws. I believe I just used regular sheet metal screws. Pack of 10 from Lowe's for $1.50.

Your method worked....putting them IN THE OVEN then turning it on...not so much.
Ah, so you didn't follow the how-to guide? I was confused by what you meant.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:44 PM

Breaking open headlights: 2/10 I used ebay headlights, and they had some kind of glue that was SUPER easy to split/remove. 7 minutes in the over @ 240 degrees was all I needed, didn't have to put them back in or anything. 30 seconds to split them open

I used a heat gun and worked my way around the ebay lightning replicas (I have a 99) with a paint scraper/spackle spatula thingy (can't think of the name of it at the moment) and opened them in a couple of minutes no problems.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:06 AM
So I've got everything except painting and aiming done, which I will be doing tomorrow. When I install the headlights to aim them, I don't need to hook up the high-beam wires, right? Ahh I'm so anxious to finish these, I just hope the alignment isn't off by much.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Lieutenant_dan
So I've got everything except painting and aiming done, which I will be doing tomorrow. When I install the headlights to aim them, I don't need to hook up the high-beam wires, right? Ahh I'm so anxious to finish these, I just hope the alignment isn't off by much.
Good! Paint then aim when dry. No you don't need the high beams. I cannot remember if I hooked mine up, I'm thinking I never. It's not a bad idea to hook them up and try them before the light is sealed, because that would suck if they never worked.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:23 AM

Sorry to hear that. You're the first person I've seen have melting problems. Your oven must burn hotter than it states.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:44 AM
Originally Posted by powerz69
Good! Paint then aim when dry. No you don't need the high beams. I cannot remember if I hooked mine up, I'm thinking I never. It's not a bad idea to hook them up and try them before the light is sealed, because that would suck if they never worked.
Alright, thanks! As soon as I'm finished I'll post pictures. What do you guys think about wiring halo's into an SPDT switch and wiring them into the interior lights? That way, when I unlock my car they'll turn on without the headlights going on. Also, I can turn them on whenever I want.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alright, thanks! As soon as I'm finished I'll post pictures. What do you guys think about wiring halo's into an SPDT switch and wiring them into the interior lights? That way, when I unlock my car they'll turn on without the headlights going on. Also, I can turn them on whenever I want.
I've got mine wired to my parking lights.

Name:  DSC02407.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  71.2 KB

Name:  DSC02473.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  137.2 KB

- NCSU

Old 04-20-2011, 12:12 PM

What do you guys think about wiring halo's into an SPDT switch and wiring them into the interior lights? That way, when I unlock my car they'll turn on without the headlights going on. Also, I can turn them on whenever I want.
You can use what ever trigger you want, it will work.

Originally Posted by NCSU_05_FX4
I've got mine wired to my parking lights.

- NCSU
I wired mine to a ignition run wire. So when the truck is running the halos are on. It's peace of mind for me since I disabled my DRL.

Quick Reply: How to: 04-08 OEM headlights FX-R Projector HID retrofit.