2004 - 2008 F-150

Diagnosis: IWE's or Wheel Bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2010 | 12:52 PM
Keep me posted if it gets rid of the off throttle problem. I'll have to check mine out if so.

I couldn't tell you about the double cardan joint, I never got that far into looking into it. Some guys told me I better run a slip-yoke eliminator if I went that route. I'd have to ask the drive-line guy that is around here.

Old 12-09-2010 | 01:31 PM
|
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by sbchris
Keep me posted if it gets rid of the off throttle problem. I'll have to check mine out if so.

I couldn't tell you about the double cardan joint, I never got that far into looking into it. Some guys told me I better run a slip-yoke eliminator if I went that route. I'd have to ask the drive-line guy that is around here.

That is basically what he told me.. You end up with the slip yoke eliminator and a stubby really beefy tail shaft that can support the weight. He told me it can work on light trucks but the life span of the u joints is greatly decreased..

Let's hope this overhaul is the issue. I plan on trying to hit the other shop in small claims court, that is if he hasn't already filed bankruptcy..

Old 12-09-2010 | 01:38 PM
I'm having a similar problem as described earlier in the thread. looks like im a bit late lol. when I come to a stop, then turn left or right, a bad vibration rips through the floorboard and steering wheel. mhockeys thread was really helpful. how much will a new actuator cost and where can I find them?

Old 12-09-2010 | 01:49 PM
|
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by GA4x4Screw
I'm having a similar problem as described earlier in the thread. looks like im a bit late lol. when I come to a stop, then turn left or right, a bad vibration rips through the floorboard and steering wheel. mhockeys thread was really helpful. how much will a new actuator cost and where can I find them?

When I looked at tasca I want to say the actuator at the wheels was about 70 per side. Have you tried testing the vacuum and that? I replaced my solenoid not too long ago because it was weak on holding vacuum. It's only about 45 bucks

Old 12-17-2010 | 11:18 AM

Well I think I have narrowed my issue down some. It seems to be linked to the 4wd system. If I engage 4wd the vibration and hum goes away. Also last night I was playing with it back and forth while driving around. It really seems like it is the front drivers side.

Any advice on what to check first? Could it be the actuater like some have talked about? As mentioned earlier I just had my lower ball joints replaced and thats when the trouble began. Could the shop have not put something back correctly that would cause this?

I did some searching but I am very lacking in my understanding of the whole vaccum 4wd system so maybe I haven't searched for the right things?

Quick Reply: Diagnosis: IWE's or Wheel Bearings?