2004 - 2008 F-150

Newb questions, help a guy out.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newb questions, help a guy out.....

So I have a 05 F-150 SCREW and wanted to get some input from you all on a few questions regarding it...

1. ABS Light? I have custom spindles/hubs and brakes so ABS no longer works and I'm tired of looking at the damn light in the cluster. Anyway to turn it off?

2. How would one disable the airbags temporarily? I'm worried that they may go off on a hard landing, and I want to avoid that.

3. Just about every time I take the truck out I break the damn Doube DIN mount. I've tried both Metra and Scosche dash kits and broke both of them. Anyone else having these kinds of problems?,Any ideas FYI, I have a AVN726E

Here is a pic of the truck so you know what I'm working with, and we all know threads with pics are better than a thread without pic's. hahaha

Last edited by captainbell; 11-18-2010 at 12:44 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Jesus, that looks like one hell of a setup! The only thing I can think of on the airbags would be to possibly disconnect the harness (possibly a connector in/around the bag in the dash?).. but that is a pain in the *** to get in the dash every time..

I guess for the ABS light you could just get behind the cluster and cut the power to that particular bulb?

I would also suspect with what you use the truck for a custom setup to hold the headunit would work best., possibly something from small square tubing and sheet metal?

Just some ideas, not much help I know. Nice truck though!

Old 11-17-2010, 09:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Going to need more pictures of that truck...

Old 11-17-2010, 09:20 PM
no answers for you...just a OMG, thats bad a

Old 11-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Ditto on that. Must have pics of that truck! Future totm???

Old 11-17-2010, 10:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by avfrog
x2 on that, were gonna need pics of the under carriage and the setup with suspension in order to help with the abs and din mount.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:12 PM
one easy way to disable the airbag system is to disconnect the passenger seat airbag light connector. thats the one above the radio that is recessed in the trim panel ... which will make the light on the dash come on. and the only way to make that abs light turn off is to remove the cluster and take the bulb out ... and which your in there since the airbag light will be on when the connector is disconnected remove that bulb for the airbag also... might be an LED tho not 100% sure. good luck with the truck bro!

Old 11-18-2010, 12:11 AM
Originally Posted by avfrog
Originally Posted by 02SC4x4
x2 on that, were gonna need pics of the under carriage and the setup with suspension in order to help with the abs and din mount.
yeah im with these two. no idea what radio you talking about, pics of the whole truck and under carriage would get us on our way to helping out.

no but really, ive heard cutting the abs light can do some wierd things, my friends pull the cluster and paint the back of the gauges black, so the light is still on but the black paint masks it not visible. gonna have to custom fab something for the radio out of metal. and no idea about the airbags

Old 11-18-2010, 12:43 AM
Originally Posted by 02SC4x4
were gonna need pics of the under carriage and the setup with suspension in order to help with the abs and din mount.
hahahaha

Originally Posted by sampson01
one easy way to disable the airbag system is to disconnect the passenger seat airbag light connector. thats the one above the radio that is recessed in the trim panel ... which will make the light on the dash come on. and the only way to make that abs light turn off is to remove the cluster and take the bulb out ... and which your in there since the airbag light will be on when the connector is disconnected remove that bulb for the airbag also... might be an LED tho not 100% sure. good luck with the truck bro!
Thanks for the advise on the airbag, I know exactly what your talking abut and it's easy to get at, might be a good option.

Does anyone have info on how to pull the cluster from the dash and take it apart to get at these bulbs/leds?

A few pic's as requested...

Old 11-18-2010, 05:34 PM
well, im speachless. dont ever come to any forum and say newb questions in a thread. i doubt your a newb. thats one badass truck right there

keep up the good work and i think its great that that you have your truck built and are here to ask for ideas on little things like the radio moving and such, istead of being like most others and asking for help with your suspension setup and all.

you have any interior pics?

i love the optima, jack and extra drive shaft in the bed along with the rear tower covers. thats very clean.

why just the one light in the bed. is there another underneath pointing back or is that just a bed light?

Last edited by fivespeedsteed; 11-18-2010 at 05:39 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:06 PM
Thank you for the complement on the truck.... Yeah , I regret the thread title, I'm sure that's why I'm not getting many reply's. I'm just a newb to this forum....

No interior pic's, pretty much stock right now, with the exception of a race radio, the nav, edge programmer and a few switches.

As for the single light in the bed, it's a amber dust light for other vehicles to see me better coming up from behind. I just use the stock bed lights in the third break light area and the dust light for lighting up the bed at night. I also have a miners light in the tool bag in the back next to the jack(new not in pics) for any other lighting needs at night.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:12 AM
the title is pretty funny to me. what kinda nav did you put in it?

i love your truck. you dont drive it every day do you?

Old 11-19-2010, 02:12 AM
Originally Posted by fivespeedsteed
the title is pretty funny to me. what kinda nav did you put in it? I love your truck. you don't drive it every day do you?
I've got a Eclipse AVN726E, and yes it's my DD. I don't have any money left to buy another ride after building this thing...

Old 11-19-2010, 02:15 AM
Anyone got any additional info on my ABS question and or better dash kits that i may not have tried yet?

oh yeah and info on how to take apart the cluster?

Old 11-19-2010, 10:34 AM
i did a quick search on the cluster thing and just found installs of white face gauges. some of them walk you through how to get them out, others dont. ill try to post some links. as for the abs light, ive always heard cutting the light can do odd things, like make the check engine come on or something. so if you could get the bulb out or smoething like that and see if it still ran fine, then do that, otherwise your going to have to paint the back of the cluster black in that area so the abs light wont shine through.

cant help in the area of the mount, id probably try to make something out of metal though. and beef up the hardware holding it.

Quick Reply: Newb questions, help a guy out.....