2004 - 2008 F-150

'04 5.4L FX4 tranny issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 5.4L FX4 tranny issues

So before I go buy a rebuilt tranny, I figured I should get some advice:

Bought this truck used in 06 I believe with 24k on it. Had the 50mph dead spot-tranny issue from day one. I hated the way the tranny lagged so I went with the Edge Evo. I run it on level II with 87 octane. (I do ALLOT of driving; and this seems the best set up for fuel economy and power)

The truck has about 84k on it now, and over the last few months the 50mph dead spot has turned into much more.

No; I haven't changed ANY fluids other than oil since I bought the truck; berrate me later.

The issue's it's having now are failing to downshift properly when flooring it from highway speeds. The dead spot is worse. I can 'feel' the tranny just not engaging second or third sometimes......like it's waiting for something. It does eventually shift; and it's really not as bad as I'm making it sound.....but it is getting worse as the weeks pass.

First and reverse are perfect. Just having issues with second and third; mostly up-shifting to third or down-shifting to third.

I just ordered new tires and when they come in I was planning on throwing her up on the lift and giving a complete overhaul; all fluids, plugs (god help me).....just a basic tune up. I am scared about changing the tranny fluid if it IS the tranny.........

My reason for posting is I'm wondering if my issue is the 'tranny' itself; or could it just be the torque converter or a selonoid?

Any help would be greatly appreciated...............

Old 12-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did you try and adjust shift firmness with the edge? Did it somehow soften teh shofts? Id remove edge and re-install to make sure its not a programmer issue first.

Old 12-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zx12-iowa
did you try and adjust shift firmness with the edge? Did it somehow soften teh shofts? Id remove edge and re-install to make sure its not a programmer issue first.
It's not the edge; it has the same issues on the stock map. (and I don't believe I can adjust 'shift firmness' with my edge; it has three maps)

Quick Reply: '04 5.4L FX4 tranny issues