2004 - 2008 F-150

Dealer screwing me or Coincidence?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010 | 11:08 AM
|
Dealer screwing me or Coincidence?

I took my 04 FX4 in for an alignment and tire rotation. It has 70K miles. Upon inspection, ball joints were loose so I approved the replacement of the ball joints. Had the alignment, paid the bill and life is good.

After driving 6 miles to home, I parked the truck in the garage. The next morning I backed out of the garage and detected a loud grinding, clanking, and noticable catch in the front end. I immediately pulled over, called the Ford dealership and they sent a tow truck.

Diagnosis is the 4x4 actuators need replaced as the truck is trying to engage without being told to. Now I am aware this is a vaccuum based sysytem, is it possible that they damaged/knocked off a line during the ball joint replacement? It seems very odd that I have a new problem less than 24 hours from a repair and under 10 miles of driving. Actuator replacement quotes are $750.

Help me out guys. Do I have a legitamate argument or not?

Old 12-25-2010 | 12:02 PM
I was once a Service Manager and things do happen. It could be coincidence and it could be the tech's fault. I recommend being calm and speaking to the Service Manager politely and ask if there is something he can do to help alleviate the cost of any new repair. Remind him that it was in working order before you brought it in to the shop for initial ball joint and alignment work.

Good luck.

Old 12-25-2010 | 07:57 PM
Truck of the Month
^ if it doesnt work give em hell with the same argument because after all what a coincidence trucks not running as it should.

i got warranty work done on a bad pulley and they did not install my air intake the proper way(stock) back, i had to tighten the 10mm bolt and snap it in properly, dealer techs are careless and lazy nowadays

Old 12-26-2010 | 02:22 AM
Don't the words " dealer and " screwing " always go hand in hand?

Old 12-26-2010 | 06:34 AM
People are people.

Old 12-26-2010 | 07:39 AM
Originally Posted by Fasteel
Yes they do. I haven't gone to a "stealership" for anything other than an alignment after I put on my leveling kit.

OP: just go there calmly and talk to a manager and just ask them the simple question about whether a line could have been bumped or damaged during the ball joint installation. See how he reacts and take it from there. You'll know if he is honest by the way he answers a simple question. Let us know what happens.

Last edited by DarkShadowSTX; 12-26-2010 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-26-2010 | 01:11 PM
glc
Not necessarily. It's like anything else - there are good ones and bad ones. The one here has an excellent service department that's very customer service oriented. We have a few dealer techs on this forum who are very helpful and know what they are doing - and they will think twice about helping people who slam dealers like some of you do.

Old 12-26-2010 | 10:47 PM
|
Thanks all for the advise. I guess we will see what happens when I get to the dealer in the morning.

Old 12-27-2010 | 10:11 AM
Truck of the Month
Originally Posted by DarkShadowSTX
Yes they do.
I love it when people spread garbage like that.

Old 12-27-2010 | 12:15 PM
Had a simlimar problem. I bought my truck from a dealer and two days later I had a griding noise and it was the 4x4 vaccum system and they tryied to make me pay for it. I tried the calm approch but didnt work so I had to give them hell for them to replace it and only paid $60 instead of 400.

Old 12-27-2010 | 03:16 PM
dealers are crooked. of corse he is screwing you.

Old 12-27-2010 | 03:21 PM
I hate car dealers

Last edited by pintye30; 12-27-2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old 12-27-2010 | 03:54 PM
Global Moderator &
Originally Posted by pintye30
well I knew a used car salesman in my unit that I was good friends with. Didnt know at first that he was one and when I found out I asked him a ton of questions and found out that no matter what you may know about dealers whether you think you have a good deal or not. YOU WILL ALWAYS GET SCREWED!!! Thats there job! Money is there goal.
That is one of the most ridiclous posts ever. Of course they are out to make money. That is the only way any business can stay in business. Show me a business that is not there to make money, and I will show you a nonprofit organization or a business that won't last. It is the customers duty to be informed enough that they pay a fair price and not an excessive price. I want them to make a fair profit off me so they will be there when I need them.

How do you feel about paying 13.00 for a pizza that costs about $2.00 in ingredients?

Last edited by Bluejay; 12-27-2010 at 03:57 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-27-2010 | 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by pintye30
well I knew a used car salesman in my unit that I was good friends with. Didnt know at first that he was one and when I found out I asked him a ton of questions and found out that no matter what you may know about dealers whether you think you have a good deal or not. YOU WILL ALWAYS GET SCREWED!!! Thats there job! Money is there goal.
statement makes no sense every business has to make a profit and you will only get screwed if you let them knowledge is the best defense .

Old 12-27-2010 | 07:54 PM
|
Just wanted to update all. I met with the service manager first thing today. They put another tech on it to get their opinion. I got a call back today at noon and was advised that the drivers side actuator needed replaced. I asked them if they did a vacuum test to determine that and he indicated he would check with the tech. I got a call back tonight indicating they would replace the solenoid only and test drive it to see if it fixed the issue. The dealer is working with me on labor, so I know they want to get it taken care of. I am still wondering if the prior service on the ball joints is related, but for now I just want to get it fixed. If the actuators end up being bad, that may just turn into a weekend DIY, unless they will do a parts only bill. I don't have a lot of confidence in their abilities, but they are working with me. I love this forum, wish the tech read it. I have learned alot.

Quick Reply: Dealer screwing me or Coincidence?