2004 - 2008 F-150

4x4 iwe problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010 | 08:07 PM
|
4x4 iwe problem

hey guys, i was wondering if i could grab some info from ya's. ok so here's my problem. a few months ago i was having buzzing iwe problems. so i replaced my iwe solenoid and my iwe vacuum resevoir which was split open like a clam shell. the sound i was having went away. today we got some snow and i thought i would test out the 4x4. well i put it in and the light comes on but it is not engaging. when i press on the gas it makes the grindin buzzing sound like the hubs are trying to engage. i dropped it down into 4lo and it did engage. no more buzzing. so my question is do you think its time to replace the iwe's themselves or could this be something else? thanks any info would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-26-2010 | 08:17 PM
well i got told that due to my IWE going bad that i now have to replace the locking portion to my hubs i have the same noise but no 4x4, but i am gettiing a second look at it to be 100 percent sure though its a 800 dollar repair from ford.

Old 12-27-2010 | 06:57 AM
It is posible that dirt and/or moisture may be in your vacuum lines from the damaged resevoir. Normally the "buzzing/grinding" noise only occurs in 2wd. It may be that the IWE seal[s] are going bad or that they need lube. This is a good trouble shooting guide;

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/83...then-some.html

2nd post, The locking portion of the hub IS the IWE... that's what locks the hubs for 4xwd. I saved about $1K by doing my own trouble shooting (see above) then replacing my IWEs (see below) and the solenoid myself...

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...replacing.html

If you can change a tire and replace brake pads, you can do all this yourself. FYI, the IWEs are about $78 apiece and if required, a solenoid (new style-shielded) is about $28. Those are "Ford only" parts and the prices I quote are "online seller" prices which my local dealer is happy to match (business is business).

Last edited by 60DRB; 12-27-2010 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12-27-2010 | 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by 06lariat4x4
well i got told that due to my IWE going bad that i now have to replace the locking portion to my hubs i have the same noise but no 4x4, but i am gettiing a second look at it to be 100 percent sure though its a 800 dollar repair from ford.
Man, somebody blew some serious smoke up your skirt. The IWE is the thing that locks each front wheel to the front axle. If your solenoid goes bad, your IWEs can fail to lock or unlock properly and cause them to fail through grinding. That's why I've said (many times) here that if your Solenoid went bad and was replaced, you're not always out of the woods.

Use the "search" function and read up on this relatively simple system and you'll be much better prepared next time at the Service desk. Oh yea, and if you're the slightest bit handy, you can replace both IWEs for under $200 in your own garage.

Old 12-27-2010 | 12:06 PM
^ Like he said above. The locking IWE part he is refering too is the IWE Actuator. Ford will only tell you ( And Sell you ) the whole hub assembly needs to be replaced. But why replace the whole Hub Assembly? Unless you have some miles on your truck and suspect you need wheel bearings soon enough then mine as well because your bearings are inside the Hub Assembly.

You Solenoid could of went bad before and while it was bad it could have caused damage to the IWE Actuator ( Which is about an $80 part ) which is the grinding you are probably hearing now which is also not allowing the truck to be engaged in 4wd.

Other problems could be your IWE Solenoid again, vaccum leak, clogged hoses, and or check valves in the system. Check your Solenoid again because mine went bad 2 weeks after having Ford replace one and during that time frame of me driving the truck the IWE Actuator went out on me because it was grinding up against the CV Shaft ( Half Shaft ).

Heres the IWE Actuator that FORD themselves will tell you they can not replace or order because they can only do the whole Hub. But the new one comes greased and ready to go. But to be on the safe side order some new grease and clean the old crap outta there.

The one for $79.85
http://www.tascaparts.com/partlocato...&siteid=213668

actuator, f150, mark lt - f150 new style 2004-08, mark lt - F150 NEW STYLE 2004-08, MARK LT
04-07 $120.98 $79.85

Front drive axle - Drive axles - Locking hub - Actuator

Quick Reply: 4x4 iwe problem