2004 - 2008 F-150

salt spreader damage truck??

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 10:15 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
salt spreader damage truck??

I am just wondering.

When a salt spreader dump truck drives by, I try and give it as much room as possible so that the salt doesn't hit my truck.

Today I was driving on a 2 lane road and a huge truck drive right by me throwing salt, sounded like a machine gun shooting at my car!

Haven't had time to really look since my truck is really dirty.

Has anyone ever had any damage from a salt spraeder? My bro says he thinks that the salt jsut breaks up when it hits the paint, and it really doens't damage it. He used to have a beater and followed the salt trucks around, he says he never found a dent from it.

ANyone?

Old 12-28-2010, 10:22 AM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Same thing happened to me last winter, and I didn't find any new chips or dings. I don't think salt by itself has enough mass to damage paint, but I could be wrong.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wish I had input for you but they do not salt the roads here, when the roads freeze people just crash. Last year on a trip to the grocery store during a winter storm I watch about 4 cars hit the ditch in a half mile stretch. Got some snow and ice last weekend, turning into work Monday morning I got some unexpected drifting action LOL.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Salt will definately damage auto finishes. On my '04 Supercrew I was behind a salt truck on the W.VA Turnpike and picked up numerous chips on the front of the hood above the grill shell. I try to avoid them now. I have several customers vehicles that have experienced the same.
There is NO recourse when this happens as far as being compensated by the salt vehicle, so avoid them !!!!

Old 12-28-2010, 02:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Rarely is it ever just salt in those spreaders. Its mixed with salt and fine gravel. The salt itself will not but the sand can do minor damage. Its not going to chip the paint but it will pit it. Thats why a pre season waxing is always a good idea, and anytime you have a chance during the winter.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tim98
Rarely is it ever just salt in those spreaders. Its mixed with salt and fine gravel. The salt itself will not but the sand can do minor damage. Its not going to chip the paint but it will pit it. Thats why a pre season waxing is always a good idea, and anytime you have a chance during the winter.
Understood that they sometimes mix sand, gravel, coal ash and etc. in with the salt. HOWEVER, I guarantee you that the salt itself can and does paint damage, including chipping. I have lived in snow regions all of my life and have seen multiple cases, including as I stated earlier, several of my detail customers vehicles. It will also do severe glass damage on the windshield.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:20 PM
There is a reason the trucks have a sign saying: STAY BACK 250 FEET. Or however far it is.

Old 12-29-2010, 05:13 AM
The salt mix that came out of the sander and hit your truck did NOTHING. Unless, there are large rocks in the mix, then you might end up with a ding or worse a cracked windshield. The salt mix that is on the road does the real damage. When the road is snowy and wet, you lightly blast your truck with a slurry of slush and the salt mix. But the real damage occurs when you're driving down dry winter roads and you sand blast the under carriage of your truck while surrounding traffic lifts the salt mix so you are also sand blasting the rest of the truck. Add to that the dried up salt that coats your truck until you wash it next... The list goes on and on....

Personally, I wouldn't worry about stuff like this. Wash periodically, wax if you think that actually does anything to protect your paint, but this is just more normal wear and tear.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by svt2205
The salt mix that came out of the sander and hit your truck did NOTHING. Unless, there are large rocks in the mix, then you might end up with a ding or worse a cracked windshield.....
so your saying big rocks could ding and break a wind shield but sand and smaller can do no damage at all?? doesn't make any sense.

After thinking more about it I wouldn't want salt hitting my paint either.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:04 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
When I lived back in the "Land of Salt and Snow" I drove winter beaters -- there was no way my "babies" were going to go out on the roads and endure the type of beating that winter puts on a vehicle!

Old 12-29-2010, 04:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hehe, I got bigger fish to fry now.

Friggin plow hit my truck the other day. Well, you know on the plows they have those flexible rods that hang on the end of the plow so they know where the edge of the plow is?? Well, one truck had that thing hanging out horizontal, the dude drives right by my truck and that rod just scrapes my truck from rear to front along the whole side.

If I can't buff it out (looks like I need a machine polish) I'll have to get a friggin repaint!

Old 12-30-2010, 11:51 AM
Only way to not get rust is to buy a winter beater. No other way around it.

Quick Reply: salt spreader damage truck??