2004 - 2008 F-150

Is Battery Dying?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011 | 12:30 PM
|
Is Battery Dying?

This morning, for the 3rd time in about 6 weeks, I went out to go to breakfast and the truck wouldn't turn over. Had to use a battery buddy to jump start it. Battery cables were covered in corrosive gunk.

My OEM battery died a bit over a year ago and the one I have now was given to me by a friend - so I'm not sure of the age on it. Problem is this corrosive thing seems to be happening repeatedly every couple of weeks. In fact, I had the truck in the shop almost exactly two weeks ago for an oil change and they cleaned the cables and posts thoroughly - and this morning I've got no starting power.

Is this battery dead? Dying? Time to replace it???
(and note I have no multi meters or other stuff to test it)

Old 01-02-2011 | 12:36 PM
Sounds like its on its way out. You can go to autozone and they will test it for free. As for the build up, you need to take the terminals off the battery, clean them inside and out. Clean the studs on the battery. After that, connect it all back up and spray it with a protective spray (sealer) to prevent further corrosion.

Old 01-02-2011 | 03:51 PM
|
Thanks. I don't know if the shop put a sealer on them, but I know they did disconnect the cables and clean them and the posts. That's why I was surprised to see them covered with that blue-green gunk again this soon.

Old 01-02-2011 | 11:26 PM
You can use any kind of grease on them. As long as it seals off oxygen, it will prevent corrosion.

Old 01-03-2011 | 02:18 AM
Pick up a pair of the felt rings that go on the battery post before you attach the cables from the parts store. Those things really work, and it's only a buck or two. Grease works, but it's messy, the rings are barely noticeable, and can be reused.

Old 01-03-2011 | 06:17 AM
Originally Posted by tenzip
Pick up a pair of the felt rings that go on the battery post before you attach the cables from the parts store. Those things really work, and it's only a buck or two. Grease works, but it's messy, the rings are barely noticeable, and can be reused.
+ 1 on the felt rings, I've noticed no corrosion buildup when using them.

Quick Reply: Is Battery Dying?