2004 - 2008 F-150

Location of Airbag Diagnostic Monitor

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Location of Airbag Diagnostic Monitor

Hi, I have a 2005 F150 Lariat Supercab and am getting airbag code 51 about a blown thermal fuse in the Airbag Diagnostic Monitor. Does anybody know where this airbag diagnostic monitor is located? Is it the same thing as what Ford calls "Airbag Monitor"?

I have searched all over the place for hours with no luck. All the information I have found is regarding older Mustangs, Broncos, and Aerostars.

Thanks

Old 01-02-2011, 07:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In response to my own question and for anybody else that wants to know:

The Airbag Diagnostic Monitor (AKA Airbag Diagnostic Module, AKA Airbag Module, AKA Restraint Control Module) on an 04-08 F150 supercab/supercrew with center console shifter is under the console itself. It is covered by a pre-cut piece of carpet and is held down by 3 screws and 2 electrical connectors.

In order to remove it, you need to remove the center console.

Also, there is no "thermal fuse" in it like the older blue box ones that can be swapped. It looks like the whole module needs to be replaced. The only component that may be of significance inside the module is a 1000 microFarad 36v capacitor but replacing that probably won't fix the blown thermal fuse.

I ordered a new module off of eBay and will be replacing the one i have now when I get it. Hopefully that will clear the 51 code since that is the only code I get (probably means the short that caused it was a one time deal, or else I'd be getting a 13 or 14 code according to everything I've read.)

Quick Reply: Location of Airbag Diagnostic Monitor