2004 - 2008 F-150

ABS code read: Either sensor or ring / pinion?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011 | 01:34 AM
|
ABS code read: Either sensor or ring / pinion?

Dealer read my code. Said it indicated it was the front drivers side but it didn't show whether is was a sensor.. or, dealer said it could be ring and pinion, or something along those lines.

What exactly is the ring and pinion and what does it do? What are the affects of having it go bad?

While my truck is there, it's also getting a new idler pully (warranty) seat squeak fixed (warranty), a groan from the rear when starting out in reverse, which I cannot seem to figure out. U joints, driveshaft, differential are fine. I don't think it's the brakes as I can hear a vibration / groan when it's idling. Sounds like something resonating all the way up the truck from the rear end through the driveline and can't figure it out. Any ideas? Also gonna have them check into TSB 08-24-02 for the Frame Damper Kit.

Also going to have fuel and air filters replaced since they've been in there for 15k miles.

Sorry for all the questions.

Old 01-11-2011 | 06:54 AM
glc
The ring and pinion is the differential - I don't see how that would affect anything on the front of a 2wd truck.

Old 01-11-2011 | 11:16 AM
|
Originally Posted by glc
The ring and pinion is the differential - I don't see how that would affect anything on the front of a 2wd truck.
My mistake, not pinion. Some ring thats part of the hub assembly? Something like that? Sorry, I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Old 01-11-2011 | 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
My mistake, not pinion. Some ring thats part of the hub assembly? Something like that? Sorry, I have no idea what I'm talking about.
its called an ABS ring. It looks like a gear with evenly spaced teeth. the ABS sensor reads wheel speed by magnetic pulses, the magnet in the sensor sees every "tooth" of the ring and sends an electrical pulse to PCM. the more pulses per second the faster that wheel is spinning, there are 3 of these sensors, one on the differential of the rear axle and one on each front hub. the PCM interprets these 3 individual signals to determine which wheels need the most braking force (under normal driving) and which wheels need to be pulsed on/off under hard stops to prevent the wheels from locking up (hense Anti-lock Brake System)

Old 01-11-2011 | 03:40 PM
|
Originally Posted by jmt0645
its called an ABS ring. It looks like a gear with evenly spaced teeth. the ABS sensor reads wheel speed by magnetic pulses, the magnet in the sensor sees every "tooth" of the ring and sends an electrical pulse to PCM. the more pulses per second the faster that wheel is spinning, there are 3 of these sensors, one on the differential of the rear axle and one on each front hub. the PCM interprets these 3 individual signals to determine which wheels need the most braking force (under normal driving) and which wheels need to be pulsed on/off under hard stops to prevent the wheels from locking up (hense Anti-lock Brake System)
Very informative. Thank you!

Hopefully it's just a sensor. I'm not sure if ABS is covered under bumper to bumper since other brake related items are not.

Old 01-11-2011 | 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
Very informative. Thank you!

Hopefully it's just a sensor. I'm not sure if ABS is covered under bumper to bumper since other brake related items are not.
99.9% of the time its just a bad sensor. my '04 has 150k+ miles and i've had to replace 2. but that other .1% of the time it could be a chipped "tooth" on the ABS ring throwing of the signal. if you want to check, jack up the truck, take the wheel off and look at the back of the brake rotor, you'll see the ABS ring with the teeth. if no teeth are missing its the sensor.

Quick Reply: ABS code read: Either sensor or ring / pinion?