2004 - 2008 F-150

mpg question (04 f150 lariat)

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011 | 01:14 AM
|
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question mpg question (04 f150 lariat)

HI everyone im new here had a few people from yellow bullet tell me to come here well anyways..

today i went out and bought a 04 f150 lariat. its got 35 inch tires and either a leveling kit or a lift kit idk.. well im only getten 11 mpg and the speedo isnt calibrated for the tires. it also has a k&n intake and magnaflow cat back..

i no with the bigger tires its ganna kill mpgs but is there anything i can do?
i plan on getten an edge programmer after i start builden my bank account back up.

so what can i do to help the mpgs

and can i go to the dealer to get the speedo fixed? and about how much will they charge?

thanks
Troy

Old 01-30-2011 | 07:22 AM
Let off the gas... Find out how much your off, so you know how much your speeding, and how much farther you're actually going. I say, if you are going to get an Edge or any programmer, don't go to the dealer to get recalibrated, wait for the Edge and be aware of your speedo being off.

Old 01-30-2011 | 08:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Programmer will let YOU adjust your speedo calibration. What are the maintenance records? Mile? Plugs changed? Brake calipers all working and non sticking? Fuel filter changed? Tires aired up? What are the gears (big tires like bigger gears). HOW are you driving it?

Is it 4x4? If 2wd thats bad mpg fo sho

Old 01-30-2011 | 10:50 AM
|
im not really on the gas that hard.. idk what the gear is and i think the factory plugs r in there reg oil changes it doesnt feel like anything is draging and the speedo is higher than im actually going.

i want to get the edge but its ganna have to wait till i get my money back on track.

thanks for the imput

edit 68k miles
and always in 2wd

Old 01-30-2011 | 10:57 AM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kobra_commader
idk what the gear is
Check your door jam sticker for the axle code. Here is a code break down list.

18 - 3.08 open
27 - 3.31 open
19 - 3.55 open
H9 - 3.55 LSD
26 - 3.73 open
B6 - 3.73 LSD
25 - 4.10 open
B5 - 4.10 LSD

Old 01-30-2011 | 11:03 AM
|
3.73 LSD b6

Old 01-30-2011 | 11:05 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi & welcome!

Please be advised:

2004 5.4L 3V + CAI (Washoobi) = likely lean condition is already present and being exacerbated by same...

If you add a canned programmer like an Edge it's even worse - perf tunes lean it out even further.

This cannot be corrected with a canned device.

I most humbly recommend that you get a custom tuned programmer to both fix this properly, correct yer speedo, and get back some power ( which may also help MPG's marginally). Recommend SCT X3 from VMP. Cost is approx the same as an Evo but much more capable.

Start saving for a re-gear as well IMHO. This will help tremendously with driveability and will alleviate the strain on the tranny.

Search this site for crucial maintenance recommendations for yer truck -example: https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...intenance.html

... and have a peek in the Tech articles section for good info: https://www.f150online.com/forums/articles-how-tos-119/
Good luck - see siggie for some useful links.

PS - any chance you could add some capitalization and minimize the 'texting' abbreviations?? Kinda hard for this old codger to read Thanks!

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 01-30-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-30-2011 | 11:16 AM
|
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Hi & welcome!

Please be advised:

2004 5.4L 3V + CAI (Washoobi) = likely lean condition is already present and being exacerbated by same...

If you add a canned programmer like an Edge it's even worse - perf tunes lean it out even further.

This cannot be corrected with a canned device.

I most humbly recommend that you get a custom tuned programmer to both fix this properly, correct yer speedo, and get back some power ( which may also help MPG's marginally). Recommend SCT X3 from VMP. Cost is approx the same as an Evo but much more capable.

Start saving for a re-gear as well IMHO. This will help tremendously with driveability and will alleviate the strain on the tranny.

Search this site for crucial maintenance recommendations for yer truck -example: https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...intenance.html

... and have a peek in the Tech articles section for good info: https://www.f150online.com/forums/articles-how-tos-119/
Good luck - see siggie for some useful links.

PS - any chance you could add some capitalization and minimize the 'texting' abbreviations?? Kinda hard for this old codger to read Thanks!

MGD
well if its ganna be that bad ill get rid of the tires and intake. Im not going to off road this truck, i just got it to be a DD and for picken up parts for my stang.

Sorry about the text typing, its hard to get out of once you've done it for so long

Old 01-30-2011 | 11:28 AM

I would take off the CAI and do a drop in intake on the stock intake box. I doubt you got the original intake since you bought the truck used. Search junk yards and pull the intake off a 5.4L and use that.

Get an Edge programmer since thats what you want. You can fix the speedo with the Edge as mine is off as well. Edge will work great with a K & N drop in air filter on the original air box, then just do the GOTTS Mod to help it breathe easier. Takes about 30 minutes and is only about $10 to do. There are a few threads on here dedicated to the GOTTS mod for 04-05 F150's with the 5.4L that have pictures etc to get you thru the process.

Make sure your tires are at 45 PSI. I run 33x12.5x20 Toyo MTs with a level and get about 14 city 15-16 hwy for a comparison.

And change your spark plugs but be aware of the 2 piece plug design that will break. There are numerous threads on here about the issue with the 04-05 5.4L plugs and the TSB on how to perform the repair. Or take it to the dealer and have them do it.

Congrats on the new truck

Old 01-30-2011 | 11:33 AM
|
Originally Posted by 05BlackFX4
I would take off the CAI and do a drop in intake on the stock intake box. I doubt you got the original intake since you bought the truck used. Search junk yards and pull the intake off a 5.4L and use that.

Get an Edge programmer since thats what you want. You can fix the speedo with the Edge as mine is off as well. Edge will work great with a K & N drop in air filter on the original air box, then just do the GOTTS Mod to help it breathe easier. Takes about 30 minutes and is only about $10 to do. There are a few threads on here dedicated to the GOTTS mod for 04-05 F150's with the 5.4L that have pictures etc to get you thru the process.

Make sure your tires are at 45 PSI. I run 33x12.5x20 Toyo MTs with a level and get about 14 city 15-16 hwy for a comparison.

And change your spark plugs but be aware of the 2 piece plug design that will break. There are numerous threads on here about the issue with the 04-05 5.4L plugs and the TSB on how to perform the repair. Or take it to the dealer and have them do it.

Congrats on the new truck

do you got a link to the GOTTS mod?

and i no all about the spark plug problem and i plan on doin it shortly.

Old 01-30-2011 | 01:02 PM

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...04-2008-a.html

If you leave the CAI in and plan on getting a programmer you must get custom tunes or you will have a lean condition with the engine. Canned tunes cannot correct the problem and could lead to engine damage.

If you want the Edge with canned tunes get the stock airbox like I mentioned and do the Gotts Mod. Curerntly I run an Edge Evo with the GOTS mod on Level 2 with some custom tuning using the Edge Evo interface. Love it.

Old 01-30-2011 | 01:44 PM
I'm with 05BlackFX4, I have a level in the front and an AAL int he back, with 285/70/17's and get 14 around town and 16 on HWY with a VMP 87 performance tune. That's with winter gas and the speedo corrected for the tire size. On the stock tune with the same setup I was seeing 13 around town and 14 highway.

Old 01-30-2011 | 01:53 PM
|
naw ill just sell the intake and do the stock intake with the mods. seems to me it would be more cost effective

Old 01-30-2011 | 02:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the speedo is off, the odometer will be off too giving you an inaccurate result on your mileage calculation.

Old 01-30-2011 | 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by roush9799
If the speedo is off, the odometer will be off too giving you an inaccurate result on your mileage calculation.
Just to add on for the OP, if you had the stock 265/65/18 and went to a true 35.0 inch tire without correction, every mile on your odometer is actually 1.107 miles driven. So you're probably getting a little over 12 mpg.

Quick Reply: mpg question (04 f150 lariat)