2004 - 2008 F-150

Whining sound when it's pretty cold outside?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 06:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mine does the same noise but goes away b4 i make it back in the house and it was neg 6 today

Old 02-03-2011, 07:02 PM
i have an 04. replacing the alternator fixed mine.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:58 PM
So I replaced the alternator. The new on is actually noisier than the old one in warm weather. It makes the usual ticking noise common to alternators. The old one was silent when warm.

Would you believe it was 51 F today? Where is the cold weather when you want it? (I know, I know... down in Texas! ) It's supposed to cool off by Sunday or Monday. I hope it gets to -20 or colder so I'll know for sure it I have this thing fixed.

I'm going to have the bearings replaced in my old one and keep it as a spare.

I'm really upset with this noise situation. I've had my truck for 7 years and have had the noise that long. I bought it when I lived in Connecticut, and saw minus temps one or two days a year. Dealer couldn't reproduce the noise, and It occurred so infrequently, I didn't worry too much. But, it's gotten worse, meaning it makes the noise when it's warmer. That, and I'm now living in Montana meaning the temps are colder a lot more often. I've been to the three dealers in my area (one in town, one 50 miles away and one 75 miles away) and they all say to leave my vehicle and, when it gets cold, they'll try to figure out what's wrong. Yeah! Right!

I just can't believe that six or seven people on this list knew right away what the problem was, and Ford didn't! I just can't believe there isn't a bulletin on this problem! I simply can't believe that, in Montana, the so-called Master Mechanics don't know about this!

When it's been proven that the noise is gone, I'm going to call the dealer who tried, unsuccessfully, to fix it and tell them I've found the problem and fixed it myself. When they ask what it was, I'll refuse to tell them! Then, I'll take a ride to their place, sit down with the general manager, remind him that I just purchased a new vehicle (my wife's car) at his place and ask him to tell me why I should bring it, or my pickup to his place of business.

Maybe I'll call that 800 customer service number they gave me and tell them the same sad story. Wonder if it'll do any good?

Anyway... </rant>

Thanks so much to all who helped me on this forum. I hope someday to be able to return the favor. One second thought, I hope I never get the chance. I hope you never have problems!

Old 02-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Hey! Hey! Hey!

The noise is GONE!

It was -18 F here this morning. I started my truck, dropped it into gear and left my yard. Absolutely NO noise!

I want to thank all who jumped in this thread and helped me.

A few Nanners!

Old 02-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Flagship
Hey! Hey! Hey!

The noise is GONE!

It was -18 F here this morning. I started my truck, dropped it into gear and left my yard. Absolutely NO noise!

I want to thank all who jumped in this thread and helped me.

A few Nanners!
Congrats!

But we did tell everyone early on....

Old 02-08-2011, 08:36 PM
Mine is an 08 should I look forward for this? I got 36k on it.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by 88racing
Congrats!

But we did tell everyone early on....
When? Where? How? How come I wasn't told? More importantly, why wasn't my dealership told?

Can anyone show evidence that Ford provided the dealerships with this information? I'm really upset that I had to go this long and put up with all the brush-offs that I did.

If I can get proof that the dealership should have known, had been notified, were derelict in their service, I want to sit down with the General Manager and have him tell me, especially after just buying a new vehicle from him, why I should allow him to service either one?

Old 02-10-2011, 02:46 PM
Bump

Old 02-10-2011, 04:49 PM

When? Where? How? How come I wasn't told? More importantly, why wasn't my dealership told?

Can anyone show evidence that Ford provided the dealerships with this information? I'm really upset that I had to go this long and put up with all the brush-offs that I did.

If I can get proof that the dealership should have known, had been notified, were derelict in their service, I want to sit down with the General Manager and have him tell me, especially after just buying a new vehicle from him, why I should allow him to service either one?
Let's see here....post number 2,3,4,+6 of this thread told you and here are some search results>>>https://www.f150online.com/forums/se...archid=4191983

You've been a member since 2004 and surely you should've noticed a thread about this before now......

Last edited by 88racing; 02-10-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by 88racing
Let's see here....post number 2,3,4,+6 of this thread told you and here are some search results>>>https://www.f150online.com/forums/se...archid=4191983

You've been a member since 2004 and surely you should've noticed a thread about this before now......
Thanks for the reply. You're correct. Posts 2,3,4 +6 do mention the alternator. You said it was the alternator. I followed your search link and sure enough, people talk about this noise, everything from the heater to the rear end. After hours of looking, I came to the conclusion you were correct. That's why I spent the money I did to buy and install a new alternator. Again, thank you.

My question though, was if anyone knew of a TSB or other notice about this that would lead me to believe the dealership should have known about this. Obviously, they don't frequent this forum. Now, there may well be an answer in your search output, but I don't know how to narrow it down enough to find it.

Also, although I joined this forum in 2004, due to personal reasons, I haven't frequented it until just recently. So your comment about how I should know all this is just slightly offensive. Like I said, I appreciate your help and input. Just not condescending remarks.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:58 PM
My question though, was if anyone knew of a TSB or other notice about this that would lead me to believe the dealership should have known about this. Obviously, they don't frequent this forum. Now, there may well be an answer in your search output, but I don't know how to narrow it down enough to find it.

Also, although I joined this forum in 2004, due to personal reasons, I haven't frequented it until just recently. So your comment about how I should know all this is just slightly offensive. Like I said, I appreciate your help and input. Just not condescending remarks.
I haven't heard of any TSBs on this issue. That doesn't there aren't any, I just haven't heard of any.

The search function on the forum usually sucks IMO. If you google "F150 alternator whine," this issue would be the first thing to pop up. If you dont know it is the alternator you could stick every component that is powered by the belt in place of "alternator" and eliminate wrong choices by the descriptions. Even the term "F150 under hood whine" has some different options to explore, one of them being the alternator. Since this issue has a significant noise you could go through google video search or YouTube.com. The term "f150 whine whistle" shows the video that is already posted with commentary of the alternator bearings. Next time you hear a funny sound, ask Professor Google.

The dealership makes more money if they are wrong and it takes a few extra tries.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:54 PM

Thanks for the reply. You're correct. Posts 2,3,4 +6 do mention the alternator. You said it was the alternator. I followed your search link and sure enough, people talk about this noise, everything from the heater to the rear end. After hours of looking, I came to the conclusion you were correct. That's why I spent the money I did to buy and install a new alternator. Again, thank you.
You're welcome.....

Go here for tsb info>>>http://www.ford-trucks.com/navrecalltsb.html

No harm done, I hope, that's just the way I look at things on the screen and deduce how I should write my posts....
I don't have a crystal ball that tells me everything about everyone on this forum....
I hope you are through your personal issues and have moved on to brighter days....

Take care...

Quick Reply: Whining sound when it's pretty cold outside?