2004 - 2008 F-150

why are trucks priced so high?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011 | 12:55 PM
|
yeah see, i dont get it. next time im at work im gonna go look at size of balljoints, rear ends, tie rods, and other stuff. i want to know if f150s are build ford tougher than an expy or something.

Old 02-10-2011 | 12:56 PM
|
Originally Posted by quackrstackr
Most of them will do north of 70 mph but they cost more than either that base Corvette or Kind Ranch Expy that you mentioned.

competitive bass fishing ive always thought would be a crazy fun sport to do.

Old 02-10-2011 | 12:57 PM
Also, remember you are looking as MSRP's and not true sales price. My truck (08 Lariat fully loaded with every option except 4x4) had a sticker of 42K, I payed 30K for it. It also has a high resale value compared to many 30K cars. I remember when my father bought a new 1998 F150 Lariat Scab and claimed it was the first time he'd ever paid 20K for a truck. 10 years later that same luxury-level truck costed me another 10K with the same size engine and amenities.

Trucks are more expensive because they are built heavier/tougher than most other vehicles. You can't compare Corvette's/Mercedes/etc to a truck since they aren't looked at in the same fashion, and usually aren't primary vehicles unless you're well-to-do.

Old 02-10-2011 | 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by ChrisT
It's simple really. Everyone and their mother is buying pick up trucks these days. Most of them are super crews with short beds (that never get used) and all those nicely added creature comforts. The days of a pick up being used as a pick up are, for the most part, over. I mean look at probably 90% of the members on this forum even. They don't use the trucks for their jobs like back in the day. Most will justify "oh well I have weekend trips to Home Depot, the added safety for my family, I just like trucks, etc." .. all fine and dandy answers, but that is pretty much the exact reason they're priced so high. EVERYONE is buying them!
Exactly, you nailed it.
When I first got my license, the cheapest (new)vehicle to own, insure and maintain was the plain jane pickup. A new F150 was a doable new truck purchase for me when I was a teen making pretty decent money for a 17-18 yr old, and the insurance was affordable (so was gas). Oh, and the 4WD option was less than 2k extra and you didn't need to order with tons of frills you would never use or miss. Ah.. the good ol days!

Old 02-10-2011 | 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by rms8
This isn't an apples-to-apples comparison.

You're comparing the price of a loaded luxury truck (Lariat, Platinum, Lariat-Limited) to a base model Mercedes and Corvette??????
Fixed it for ya. It doesn't take a whole lot of options to get either of these in the $70,000 to $80,000 range. And... does anyone in their right mind pay sticker for a Ford?

Old 02-10-2011 | 02:34 PM
Technical Article Contributor

As long as people continue to buy them, Ford and everybody else is going to charge whatever they want.

I bought my F150 brand new in '08 because it was cheaper and had more room(I'm 6'5") than a car priced the same. $15.5k and the sticker was $23k. If I'm at a dealership and a salesperson comes up to me I just start telling them about how much I paid for my last truck I bought brand new, they just walk away. haha

Old 02-10-2011 | 02:54 PM
People buy them, I don't think these trucks have "high quality" materials. A lot of them are flimsy. I like Ford's designed, but we are all paying for over priced crap. My dad said this years and years ago. People will buy them and as long as they do, the price will be up there. I'm sorry, but it seems like very few people here have a need for a truck, myself included. Most of the people here mod there trucks. Anything wrong with that? Hell no, I wanted a truck since I was little. They have turned into luxury items. Bench seat, vinyl seats/floors no ac, crank windows, ect are a thing of the past. Those were "trucks"

Old 02-10-2011 | 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by LEDF150
As long as people continue to buy them, Ford and everybody else is going to charge whatever they want.

I bought my F150 brand new in '08 because it was cheaper and had more room(I'm 6'5") than a car priced the same. $15.5k and the sticker was $23k. If I'm at a dealership and a salesperson comes up to me I just start telling them about how much I paid for my last truck I bought brand new, they just walk away. haha
I hear you. I did the same thing, and coming "off lease" with my '06 4WD scab made the deal even better. At the time, it was cheaper than any other Ford offering including the focus. So, there was some good in the gas going up to 4/gal because truck sales tanked. Even the most stripped down newer gen. Ford truck can be a daily driver now, just as comfortable (or more) than a economy sedan.

Old 02-10-2011 | 07:27 PM
I definitely do a double-take every time I see the MSRP on a new truck and think to myself, "Do people REALLY pay this much for a truck?!" By and large, the answer to that question is "yes" although pick-ups tend to be heavily discounted vehicles, so looking at MSRP is somewhat misleading....

Old 02-10-2011 | 07:45 PM
Well, all you had to do was watch the News a few years ago when all the American car companies were on the ropes, the truth came out. The Big Three made their biggest profits off of SUV's and Pickups. It was easily over double % what they made off of cars. So when gas prices went up, and nobody bought them, they got crushed.

This is part of the reason Toyota and Nissan finally got in the game, they couldn't believe the profit margin the Big Three were making off of pickups and SUVs.

The other Posters are right, as long as people buy at that price point, they will keep charging top dollar for them.

Old 02-11-2011 | 09:16 AM
glc
You guys are all looking at upscale loaded trucks. It's a full size vehicle. Compare the base model truck to a base model full size car and loaded trucks to loaded full size cars. The prices should be pretty similar.

Old 02-11-2011 | 09:32 PM
Originally Posted by JERU
Well, all you had to do was watch the News a few years ago when all the American car companies were on the ropes, the truth came out. The Big Three made their biggest profits off of SUV's and Pickups. It was easily over double % what they made off of cars. So when gas prices went up, and nobody bought them, they got crushed.

This is part of the reason Toyota and Nissan finally got in the game, they couldn't believe the profit margin the Big Three were making off of pickups and SUVs.

The other Posters are right, as long as people buy at that price point, they will keep charging top dollar for them.

Bingo. truck mkt is less competitive than car mkt

Quick Reply: why are trucks priced so high?