2004 - 2008 F-150

LED install and keyless remote range reduced?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011 | 08:20 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Big Slick
Exactly. Here's a more detailed explanation I received. I believe the info to be correct or at least plausible, but I'm no expert so....

So it's probably bad design. What was the model number of your old bulb?
Design is fine - it's poor suppression / shielding. This is simple Pulse Width Modulation ( PWM) in action - a very common & efficient active method to supply the proper 'average' supply voltage to components.

MGD

Old 03-08-2011 | 08:46 AM
|
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MGDfan
Design is fine - it's poor suppression / shielding. This is simple Pulse Width Modulation ( PWM) in action - a very common & efficient active method to supply the proper 'average' supply voltage to components.

MGD
Not to split hairs here, but wouldn't that be part of the overall "design"?

At any rate, it doesn't look like it's something that can be fixed at home. Probably just going to have to buy another design and hope.

Old 03-08-2011 | 08:52 AM
Not to split hairs here, but wouldn't that be part of the overall "design"?

At any rate, it doesn't look like it's something that can be fixed at home. Probably just going to have to buy another design and hope.
I'll concede the point.

However - to be fair to Vled's engineers, it's simply not feasible to test in all the possible install locations these bulbs would be used in, with all possible remote systems. The permutation matrix would be huge.

MGD

Old 03-08-2011 | 09:01 AM
|
Originally Posted by MGDfan
I'll concede the point.

However - to be fair to Vled's engineers, it's simply not feasible to test in all the possible install locations these bulbs would be used in, with all possible remote systems. The permutation matrix would be huge.

MGD
Understood, and I'm not blaming them directly. Just saying that their product is incompatible with my vehicle. Sounds like you know at least a little about EE. Can you tell me what the difference between a "Buck Driver" and an IC driver may be?

Old 03-08-2011 | 09:14 AM
Understood, and I'm not blaming them directly. Just saying that their product is incompatible with my vehicle. Sounds like you know at least a little about EE. Can you tell me what the difference between a "Buck Driver" and an IC driver may be?
They are typically all I.C's (integrated circuits).

'Buck' is just a topology (a.k.a. function-specific implementation) - of which there are several. Buck is also known as 'step-down' regulation (appropriate here).

Several manufacturers - National, Microchip, etc. Don't think Vled rolls their own, but just uses an off-the-shelf part. There are always reference designs - it's up to the integrator (Vled) to follow it.

On a lighter note - I never thought my sig pic would be so germane

MGD

Old 03-08-2011 | 07:20 PM
I've had notice my range being terrible so I replaced the battery in the remote. Never realized that is may have started when I installed my VLEDS in my maps and dome. And the battery didn't help at all.

Old 03-09-2011 | 07:20 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Truck of the Month
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
x2 to this, I did my interior LEDs about 1yr 4 months ago and I have noticed how the remote has sucked terribly in long range for the past year. I too have replaced the battery in remote and almost replaced my VSM keyless module with a newer model one just to try improving it. Well I guess I know the culprit. Does not mean I will go back to crap lighting though. Just means I cant lock/unlock from 50'+ away.

Old 03-10-2011 | 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
x2 to this, I did my interior LEDs about 1yr 4 months ago and I have noticed how the remote has sucked terribly in long range for the past year. I too have replaced the battery in remote and almost replaced my VSM keyless module with a newer model one just to try improving it. Well I guess I know the culprit. Does not mean I will go back to crap lighting though. Just means I cant lock/unlock from 50'+ away.
Having the same issue..... glad I did not go spend extra coin on a new remote! Chged the battery adn no help....I know now what it is. D@mn it, I waited on a back order for this bulb too and now this!? COntacting VLED today to see if they can suggest a fix action! Or my money back.

Old 03-10-2011 | 10:19 AM
|
Vleds has replied to my request and is sending out a replacement. I have my doubts though, so I ordered one from Superbrightleds.com that looks like it uses a different type of circuitry. i'll post back soon when I get it.

Old 03-10-2011 | 05:24 PM
Anyone with some spare time - try placing a 0.01 uf 50v ceramic capacitor across the bulb terminals....

MGD

Old 03-11-2011 | 05:58 PM
|
Not that I thought it would do any good, but the VLED replacement came in today and I got the same result. Hopefully the one from Superbright LED's will work out.

Old 03-11-2011 | 06:02 PM
I'm just gonna keep mine in, the only real downside is listening to the girlfriend complaining that I didn't unlock her side right away when it's -20*. It unlocks my side from nice and far, but once that dome light is on, I have to be within around 3' to get the other doors to unlock.

Old 03-12-2011 | 04:37 PM
|
I got my bulb in from Superbright LEDs today and the issue with the remote range are gone. If anyone's interested it's the 4210 xHP6 bulb on this page:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...toon.html%23hp

Old 03-12-2011 | 04:55 PM
I got my bulb in from Superbright LEDs today and the issue with the remote range are gone. If anyone's interested it's the 4210 xHP6 bulb on this page:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...toon.html%23hp
How's the light output? The couple leds I bought from SuperBright were lacking on output.

Old 03-12-2011 | 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by subcooled
How's the light output? The couple leds I bought from SuperBright were lacking on output.
x2?
Color difference from your Vled Map lights? Did you get the COOL WHITE or WARM White?

I wonder if switching the dome light to the off position woudl make this any better? Its not often I need the dome light anyhow, especially with the map lights so bright.

Quick Reply: LED install and keyless remote range reduced?