2004 - 2008 F-150

your favorite SISO catback exhaust system

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2011 | 09:04 PM
No prob.

Old 04-23-2011 | 10:37 PM
I have the MBRP SI/DO that exit behind the rear tires. It's a good system. Very deep sounding. No drone in the cab at cruising speeds. There was some crackling after I would rev it, but it seemed to go away after a short break in period. The only problem I had was trying to get the tips to look level from the back. It's not impossible, but it is hard. I gave up and ended up removing the last section of piping on both sides and just put the tips on from there. So, the exhaust ends right on each side of the spare tire. I think it looks pretty cool having the "clean" look of no tips/pipes showing out the sides. However, you can see the tip from the side of the wheel wells. Not quite as deep sounding, but did gain a little in loudness. Better in my opinion and still have like zero drone.

Old 04-24-2011 | 05:54 PM
Go MBRP. That's how I pay my bills now days fellas. Been a long time since I've been on this board but I am lurking again because I am eyeballin an ECOBOOST as my next ride.

Old 04-24-2011 | 10:48 PM
I just installed my Magnapack in place of the muffler in my factory SISO...sounds amazing, no drone,nice and quiet when you want it to be, and a nice growl when you get on it...for $75 installed, I definitely recommend it!!

Old 04-25-2011 | 08:20 AM
Cat-backs are boring, go for true duals.

Old 04-25-2011 | 09:40 AM
|
Originally Posted by JesseRohr
Go MBRP. That's how I pay my bills now days fellas. Been a long time since I've been on this board but I am lurking again because I am eyeballin an ECOBOOST as my next ride.
ive been leaning towards an mbrp SISO system for a while now, i loved your 08, and i saw the thread with the sound clip in it. i even linked it in the last page. but when i go on youtube and watch videos of it, it does that popping, gargaling reving down thing my friends mustang does with no cats and straight through exhaust. im trying to avoid that. im trying to figure out what makes them do that. can you offer any insight? have you seen your siso kits make this noise most of the time? i guess its got something to do with the different cat setups on the 07ish and newers vs. the older 4 cat style, or if people are taking videos of them as soon as they install them and they sound different before getting broken in.

jesserohr if you can offer any insight as to whats going on id appreciate it. if you go back a page or so i show examples of it.

Originally Posted by 4.6 Punisher
Cat-backs are boring, go for true duals.
i was going to do true duals but from what i understand the popping cackaling sound is the nature of those systems.

anyone, what makes the maggie si/so kit so much more expensive? the magnaflow catback has a chambered muffler setup where the mbrp system has a straight through sort of muffler right? going by their measurements on the maggie site, the welded in universal maggie i have is smaller than the one in the catback?

Old 04-25-2011 | 07:54 PM
If you're looking for a SI/SO system the 3" catback doesn't really have much gargle to it once the engine is up to operating temp. With the timing amounts changed drastically during the warmup cycle (when most people seem to video for whatever reason) everything is amplified.

We also have a turn down system for that truck, however it's pretty loud both inside and out. It's just a small catback system with a turn down prior to the axle.

Old 04-25-2011 | 11:50 PM
I'll second the cold start thing. Until the trucks warmed up it does the gargling and poping, but once up to temp its deep and mellow.

Old 04-25-2011 | 11:58 PM
|
perfect. i can deal with that. and rohr, you never get much drone right? i do remember seeing how you adjusted to get the tip to be out from underneath the bed, and that stopped some droning, so i know to try that.

not seeing many reasons to go with the maggie catback or why its so much more expensive.

and im sure i want a siso system.

should i spend the coin on the t304 system? or just go with 409?

Old 04-26-2011 | 12:51 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by fivespeedsteed
should i spend the coin on the t304 system? or just go with 409?
Do you like your exhaust shiny or do you not mind the brown surface rust? 409 will develop surface rust (but wont rust holes through like aluminized) but t304 stainless will remain nice and beautiful. Another reason I like Borla and Corsa, aircraft grade t304 stainless.

Old 04-26-2011 | 08:40 AM
|
i painted my stock catback with high temp black, i dont mind doing that. what do the borla and corsa kits go for?

maybe the magnaflow catback is t304? it just says 100 percent stainless on the site

Last edited by fivespeedsteed; 04-26-2011 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-26-2011 | 09:39 AM
I love my Corsa with dual 4'' chrome tips. Great fit and finish and excellent quality stainless. Plus it sounds awesome with no drone whatsoever.

Old 04-26-2011 | 01:16 PM
Originally Posted by fivespeedsteed
narrowed it down to three kits

Magnaflow SI/SO
MBRP SI/SO
MBRP SI/DO

im finding the videos are mixed, especially with the mbrp stuff. all im after is no drone and no cackling, or gargling effect. some of the videos of mbrp stuff do it terribly, and some dont do it at all.

for instance jesserohrs thread when he put his mbrp siso kit on his 08, sounds perfect, first post in this link

https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...-photos-3.html

but when on youtube you find ones like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0d8e1wXSp0

notice its popping when it revs down

then the dual kits sound like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36KwIq1WjVU

(which doesn't make the popping noise)

then this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILkOJKgVJfE

which does do it.

from my mustang experience, the popping cackaling sound comes from not having cats. but all of these trucks seem to be newer, so they should have those 2 big cats instead of the smaller ones. maybe there gutting their cats out.

svets does your mbrp sido kit do this? did you leave your cats alone? are yours the side exit?
That last video is mine, it only cackaled like that when the truck was in park.

Old 04-26-2011 | 01:18 PM
|
does it do it when up to temperature?

if i get the AL system instead, the tip will discolor right? if im going to be painting the part under the truck with high temp paint and i can get away with the AL one i will, but i think the tips discolor or get surface rust, right?

Old 04-26-2011 | 02:09 PM
I have a SISO 40 series flowmaster with 3 inch piping run from the cat back, sounds puuurrty mean if I do say so myself..

Quick Reply: your favorite SISO catback exhaust system