2004 - 2008 F-150

several codes and the result

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 01:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
several codes and the result

Just thought id share my experience,
so here goes.
a couple weeks ago truck strted running rough, so i took it to 1 of the many local dealers, they informed me i had 3 bad coils and they needed to be replaced and there associated plugs replaced, so without a thought i took the truck home, ordered a set of wells coils for it, no change at all, so looking back on the reciept, i ordered a set of plugs for it, even though they were only 20k old, broke 2 off which were easily extracted with the remover tool, put new plugs in and still runs extremely bad, not throwing anymore codes i drove it to get it to throw again, this is where it got real bad, out of the blue it throws code p0012, p0021, p0172, p0174, po300, po303, p0307,p0316. so doing some research, i learned about the vct solenoids and cam phasers, hoping for the best i took it for a oil change, the book says the wrong oil can cause this i had a change done about 150 miles ago maybe? oil change and no luck, no change. uh oh. ordered a set of vct solenoids (dealer only part) still no change. swapped the cam sensors hoping to watch it go from bank 1 to bank 2, nothing. still followed bank 1. everything i read was telling me cam phasers when going bad would sound like a diesel causing no or little effect on the way it would run. so facing no other option besides a tear down and inspection process, i tried to remove the valve covers well that sucks, you cant get to the 2 back valve cover bolts, so i decided to remove the timing cover from the front, after a brutal process, it finally came off, well found my problem.. BROKEN TIMING CHAIN GUIDE ON BANK 1.... so now i get to call the extended warranty and see if they can blow me off or what they want to do... just thought id post this since several mechanics have never heard of these codes being thrown for this. I did days of research and never read anything about 1 chain jumping time. figured it may help someone else out...

oh yeah and heres the stats on the vehicle.

2005 f150 fx4
5.4 3 valve
140k miles on it

Old 05-14-2011, 01:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if someone can help posting pics i will gladly email them to be attached to this thread.

Old 05-14-2011, 02:51 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Open the Questions About the Site forum and read the sticky thread...........

Quick Reply: several codes and the result