2004 - 2008 F-150

Problem when starting engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem when starting engine

Maybe someone here can help me... I have a 2004 F-150. On occasion (maybe 1 of 20 times) When I turn the ignition to start the engine I get a noise like you would if you tried to turn the key when the engine is already running. Kind of a buzzing noise. Usually when I turn take the key out and try again the engine will start like normal.

Can anyone let me know what's going on? Thanks for the help!

Old 05-15-2011, 12:38 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
your starter is grinding on the flex plate (flywheel for automatic transmissions)....the flex plate is designed to stop in 1 of 3 places when you stop the engine. The plate has a bunch of teeth on the exterior edge which grab onto the starter teeth and spin the engine over when you turn the key. My guess is you have a few teeth in one spot that are grinded down and this is causing the issue.

REPLACE YOUR STARTER NOW.....Mine did this when I bought it used with 38K miles on it....didn't know what it was and it would do it once every 20-30 starts. Then it started to get more frequent. Eventually got to the point it was taking 3-5 turns of the key before it would grab teeth and turn over. Obnoxious loud noise that is embarrasing in a parking lot. I took it in and had ford pull my flex plate cover to see the teeth. They were all torn up and worn completely down to nothing on one section of it, and the other sections were damaged.

Starter is about $75....I waited way too long and had to replace the starter and flex plate. Once damage is done to the flex plate you're SOL and have to replace it. Total cost of my repair was just under $1500 for starter, flex plate and labor. Labor is the big one as you have to slide the transmission back off the flex plate to access it.

I have my old one if you want pictures...never got around to taking them. Was a big pain in my **** for the longest time. It went out at around 72K miles.

If you get the starter replaced now you can save your flex plate. It will eventually start to do it again as the teeth on the starter wear down because of the chipped teeth now on your flex plate. But you can buy and replace a lot of starters for $1500

search "starter grind" and you will find numerous topics on the issue you are describing. A tip for starting that I have done and not had the issue in 10K miles after my new flex plate/starter were put in is to put your key in, turn to accessory and listen to your fuel pump kick in, once it stops making noise (1 second or so) crank the engine over.

Last edited by 05BlackFX4; 05-15-2011 at 12:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Problem when starting engine