2004 - 2008 F-150

Problems with fuel sender/gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 11:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with fuel sender/gauge?

I went to fill up my 06 lariat 5.4 this morning and after filling up, the guage didn't change from it's position and the info screen still said the same number to empty. I even put more in to see if they ripped me off. Nope.

Then on my way home, it SLOWLY started to show full and read higher distance until empty. Also, the info screen has always shown the AVG fuel mileage, but now decided to show what I am actively getting at that exact moment. This is pretty cool as I've seen it on other cars, but I know its screwed up and not supposed to be doing this.

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? And how to fix it?

Thanks.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:12 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Turn the key off when refueling.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Technical Article Contributor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by K-9JBolt
I went to fill up my 06 lariat 5.4 this morning and after filling up, the guage didn't change from it's position and the info screen still said the same number to empty. I even put more in to see if they ripped me off. Nope.

Then on my way home, it SLOWLY started to show full and read higher distance until empty. Also, the info screen has always shown the AVG fuel mileage, but now decided to show what I am actively getting at that exact moment. This is pretty cool as I've seen it on other cars, but I know its screwed up and not supposed to be doing this.

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? And how to fix it?

Thanks.
Mine did that once, a year ago. It goes back to normal.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've never left it on while refueling before. I've read quite a few threads on problems, and there seems to be a ton of different problems it can be. Never heard of the MPG monitoring changing to a running MPG though. This doesn't seem to be fixing itself...

Quick Reply: Problems with fuel sender/gauge?