2004 - 2008 F-150

rear suspension knocking question

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear suspension knocking question (ended up being loose fuel filler)

I am going to be replacing my Terra Grappler 285/65-18's this week and decided to do a little pre tire replacement suspension inspection/maintenance. Within the last week, the front end developed a slight knock while coming into my driveway or uneven surfaces. I figured it was a failed ball joint since I replaced the drivers side about 2 years ago due to a similar noise. Started on the drivers side and everything was fine, got to the passenger side and noticed that the outer tie rod end was moving around all over the place! Badly!! So I promptly went to the parts store and replaced it with the MOOG part. I've also noticed a little squeaking that did not go away when after the tie rod end replacement. I did put some grease in the lower ball joints (also MOOG) but that didn't quieten the squeak any. Only thing that I can think that it would be is upper A arms bushings or sway bushings...however they were both solid under the "jacked up control arm/pry bar under the tire to check ball joint movement" method.

I also have a knocking/banging/slapping from the rear end on bumpy surfaces. From the cab, best I can describe it that it sounds like the e-brake cable slapping against the frame....but its not. I had a friend come over and rock the truck back and forth (I dropped the spare tire to take that out of the equation) but we could never reproduce the sound I can hear going down the road. I did hear a faint knocking that seemed like it was all over the rear end housing. I'm guessing that's just the axles floating around in the differential? I noticed that it looks like my pinion seal could be leaking ever so slightly. To be safe/sure, I checked the fill on the front drivers side of the differential and gear oil came out. It was nasty and black...but full. Although Ford says its lifetime fluid, I will be changing it out soon. The magnetic plug was also covered in crud, thankfully not metal.

I plan to upgrade to Bilsteins once this semester is over, so will probably change the upper A-arms then anyway. Hopefully that will eliminate the squeaking up front. I may drop the sway bar bushings and grease them just for S&G's. Other than those two things...nothing else is there to squeak right?!

So......any ideas on what the banging/knocking in the back could be?? I checked all nuts and even the bolts that hold the bed to the frame but they are all tight. The shocks do have a tick over 123,XXX on them but no signs of leakage. Could it just be that the mounts are worn out?? Are there bushings for the leaf springs that wear out? Any thoughts? Tailgate maybe?!?!

I couldn't quite get a video to embed so here's the link to the tire moving before the tie rod end replacement....scary!!

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...11106-1534.mp4

Last edited by effects4; 11-25-2011 at 12:16 AM. Reason: found the problem!
Old 11-07-2011, 06:23 AM
Could be the tailgate. You check the shock bushings? My previous truck had a squeaky suspension issue (going over bumps) that I never could identify.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:22 PM
I took the tailgate and tonneau cover completely off....banging is still there. frustrating.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:37 PM
well, I am going to do this in stages and keep this thread alive....

Ordered 4 new Bilsteins, the rears are going on tomorrow. If the noise is still there in the back, then I'm going to change the shackle bushings. I hope to get the leaf springs apart as well to make sure nothing weird is going on with them.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I replaced my leaf springs, shackles, shackle bolts and shocks at the same time and still have that hollow knocking noise.

I think I narrowed it down to the tailgate. When the tailgate's closed and I pick up on it fast a few times it makes the same noise as when I'm going down a bumpy road. That's about all the further I've investigated it though.

Last edited by MTM Ford; 11-22-2011 at 10:40 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:58 PM
spent the day replacing all the shocks on the truck. Drives so much smoother and tighter as the old shocks were completely worn out. Didn't realise just how bad it was until I went for a ride after replacing them. I do need to replace the passenger side upper control arm though as the ball joint had too much movement.

Anyway....the noise was still there though during the ride. GRRR. So I pull back in to the garage, got the creeper back out and just laid there in front of the rear wheel on the drivers side.....staring up and thinking of what it could possibly be. What's right above me? The fuel tube from the filler cap to the fuel tank. Thought why not and gave it a tug. BANG BANG BANG. The stupid plastic shroud (or whatever its called) under the filler door was knocking around against the body. Nothing on it was broken so I pulled it out and found an old O-Ring in my stash and stretched it around the perimeter so it would sandwich between the plastic and the body. Put it all back together and it's nice and tight. No movement and no banging. Finally!!!! Five minute job.

I used this link to see how to take it all apart....

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...ement-how.html

Old 11-24-2011, 12:08 AM
this sounds like the same problem I am having. I will try doing what you have done already, effects4, and see what I come up with.

Moo

Quick Reply: rear suspension knocking question