2004 - 2008 F-150

Pity Party Invitation (Hit and Run)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nettershakes
When i got in a fender bender, I took it to the dealer. I figured they could get the most oem parts and since I wasnt paying for it, I didnt care how much it costs...
That was my assumption as well and I was leaning that way pretty strongly!

Old 11-14-2011, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by papajohn
what i can see from your pic:
1) lower control arm
2) cv axle
3) possible strut depending on if the axle hit it hard enough to bend the shaft
4) there appears to be some broken metal on the ground directly under the diff that you can see through the control arm. possible diff housing damage??
5) the portion of the frame where the rear of the control arm bolts to appears to be bent/torn along a weld seam.
6) sway bar link is bent

and this is only what can be seen on this side. possible damage passed through these items to the other side of the vehicle must be considered with a hit like this. i hate to rain on you but damage like this which is clearly visible on a 2005 will be expensive to an insurance company. in other words they might be totalling it out.
Thanks for the analysis. Add in a new wheel and tire... the wheel is cracked!

I just put new brakes and rotors on last Wednesday. I wonder if those were affected at all!

Old 11-14-2011, 01:24 PM
glc
Received 773 Likes on 714 Posts
Not all dealers have body shops, and the ones that do are varying quality. I would ask around with people you trust to get a recommendation for a GOOD local shop.

Several years ago, I got a contract to install wi-fi in body shops so they could update the computerized frame racks online. I partially judge a body shop's quality by how clean it is. The absolute WORST shop I was in was at a Chevy dealer. The bondo dust was so thick I could barely breathe. One shop I went to was so clean you could almost eat off the floor. When I needed some work done on my truck a few years later, I went to that shop and I am completely satisfied with their work - they did a job that you can't tell was even done.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:26 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Sorry, but I'd be replacing everything on that corner, suspension parts included. I wouldn't reuse a shock or spring, a-arm, brake rotor, etc as hard as the wheel was hit. I'd probably go so far as to have a frame shop verify that it is still true and within factory tolerances.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:37 PM
I agree with Sooner. Given that you have taken such good care of the truck, make sure everything is fixed or you won't be happy

Old 11-14-2011, 09:15 PM
wow that's horrible but odd that nothing else on the body is damaged. If you decide to part it out I'll buy the hood sorry for the crudeness after such a tragedy.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:09 AM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by JurassicBob
Yes, police report has been filed. I'm sure they ticketed the kid, other than that, I didn't ask.
You should be hearing, like getting a witness subpeona before long I think. While you didn't see it, you owned it and can state the condition it was in before the kid hit it and what it cost to repair and if that has been satisfied. At least, that's why I always had the owner there in a hit & run case. His statement that he fell asleep is enough on the reckless driving.

I'm concerned about where to take it?? Should I take to my dealer, or a body shop? I believe in my state, since I am not the insured... I can take it anywhere I prefer. I do not have to go where the insurance company wants me to.

I hope they don't total it!!!! I purchased this truck brand new and have completed all of the scheduled service. As well as all of my modifications!! They will never be able to reimburse me enough to get another comparable truck!!!!
You don't have to take it to where they want, but I di suggest that you do visit your own insurance agent who makes a tidy sum off your premiums and let him help you in dealing with the other insurance company.

Old 11-15-2011, 02:48 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by glc
Not all dealers have body shops, and the ones that do are varying quality. I would ask around with people you trust to get a recommendation for a GOOD local shop.

Several years ago, I got a contract to install wi-fi in body shops so they could update the computerized frame racks online. I partially judge a body shop's quality by how clean it is. The absolute WORST shop I was in was at a Chevy dealer. The bondo dust was so thick I could barely breathe. One shop I went to was so clean you could almost eat off the floor. When I needed some work done on my truck a few years later, I went to that shop and I am completely satisfied with their work - they did a job that you can't tell was even done.
GLC is 100% correct. I worked in dealer body shops for 25 yrs. or so. (the rest of the time in independents) I always worked on everyones car as though it were my own, but sad to say, there were plenty of butchers over the years in those shops that I wouldn't let touch my demolition derby car! There is honestly a better chance with an independent that has a HIGH quiality reputation, because in order to keep that reputation, he has to deal directly with the customer who will soon ruin that reputation for him if he's unsatisfied. Dealers care far less most of the time what the individual thinks about the work that was done. And also, if you think a dealer won't use aftermarket parts, think again. All shops take their orders from the guy writing the check, and that's the insurance company. MANY insurance companies routinely write for and DEMAND the use of aftermarket parts if the car is more than 2 or 3 years old. The ones most likely to demand and GET OEM parts from the insurance cimpanies are the HIGH QUALITY independents that have a reputation that gives them the clout to do it, if ANYONE can.

Old 11-15-2011, 06:32 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you're getting off fairly light considering. You must have had the wheel turned in one direction to not have any sheet metal damage that I can see. It appears to me the control arm absorbed the hit and I wouldn't think the strut is damaged. I can't imagine it's totaled.

Old 11-15-2011, 09:55 AM
That's why I always park in the garage or driveway. I've seen too much stuff on the side of the road get taken out in my day.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:16 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Sorry to hear and see the damage.....hopefully it gets resolved.....good luck!

Old 11-15-2011, 03:21 PM
Pity Party is getting better! His insurance company just called me to say that he carries the state minimum for property damage, which is $7500. The initial estimate is over that so it flips to my insurance company!

Where are the responsible people?!?!?

Old 11-15-2011, 03:22 PM
Originally Posted by alfack
That's why I always park in the garage or driveway. I've seen too much stuff on the side of the road get taken out in my day.
I normally do... but I was doing yard work and didn't move my truck back to the driveway when I was done! I also put in a basketball hoop which has me parking no the street far more often than I did the first 5 years I had the truck.

Old 11-15-2011, 03:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Pity Party is getting better! His insurance company just called me to say that he carries the state minimum for property damage, which is $7500. The initial estimate is over that so it flips to my insurance company!

Where are the responsible people?!?!?
Nice.....so you get to help pay for HIS accident......what a crock.....but better than nothing....

Old 11-15-2011, 03:46 PM
sorry to see this. The fact that they'll only cover $7500 kind of stinks.

I have a question about this pic. Was the inner axle flange assembly ripped out of the differential? Wouldn't that mean something in the case also got fubared?? Are the pieces of metal on the ground part of the case??

Quick Reply: Pity Party Invitation (Hit and Run)